The all-new quote thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:19 pm

Speaking of those talented Buckleys, check these lyrics out (the way he sings it carries much of the impact):

Tim Buckley - Song To The Siren

Long afloat on shipless oceans
I did all my best to smile
'Til your singing eyes and fingers
Drew me loving to your isle
And you sang,
Sail to me
Sail to me, let me enfold you:
Here I am
Here I am, waiting to hold you

Did I dream you dreamed about me?
Were you hare when I was fox?
Now my foolish boat is leaning
Broken lovelorn on your rocks
For you sing,
Touch me not
Ttouch me not, come back tomorrow:
O my heart, o my heart shies from the sorrow

I am puzzled as the newborn child
I am troubled at the tide:
Should I stand amid the breakers?
Should I lie with death my bride?
Hear me sing:
Swim to me
Swim to me, let me enfold you:
Here I am
Here I am, waiting to hold you
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby dks » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:25 pm

That's quite beautiful...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:28 pm

This on the other hand is...funny...and quite true :wink:

"The nicest buttocks in the world are in Ireland. Irish women are always carrying water on their heads, and always carrying their husbands home from pubs. Such things are the greatest posture-builders in the world."
-Peter O'Toole.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:46 am

"You say that love is nonsense.... I tell you it is no such thing. For weeks and months it is a steady physical pain, an ache about the heart, never leaving one, by night or by day; a long strain on one's nerves like toothache or rheumatism, not intolerable at any one instant, but exhausting by its steady drain on the strength."
Henry Brooks Adams
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:54 pm

"Look to this day, for it is life, the very life of life. In its brief course lie all the realities and verities of existence, the bliss of growth, the splendor of action, the glory of power. For yesterday is but a dream, and tomorrow is only a vision, but today, well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well, therefore, to this day."
- Sanskrit Proverb
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:04 am

"To him she seemed so seductive, so different from ordinary people, that he could not understand why no one was as disturbed as he by the clicking of her heels on the paving stones, why no one else's heart was wild with the breeze stirred by the sighs of her veils, why everyone did not go mad with the movements of her braid, the flight of her hands, the gold of her laughter. He had not missed a single one of her gestures, not one of the indications of her character, but he did not dare approach her for fear of destroying the spell".
-Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:04 am

"vita non est vivere sed valere vita est."

-latin proverb
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 pm

Saturn wrote:"vita non est vivere sed valere vita est."

-latin proverb

What's the English translation, Saturn? I am intrigued 8)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:28 pm

My own rough translation is 'life is more than merely staying alive'.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:00 pm

Saturn wrote:My own rough translation is 'life is more than merely staying alive'.

Ah, zehr gut!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:32 pm

"Science is the language of the temporal world; love is that of the spiritual world. Man, indeed, describes more than he explains; while the angelic spirit sees and understands. Science saddens man; love enraptures the angel; science is still seeking, love has found. Man judges of nature in relation to itself; the angelic spirit judges of it in relation to heaven. In short to the spirits everything speaks."
- Honore De Balzac, La Comedie Humaine
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:58 am

One of my favorites. Don't laugh. :P

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real." "Does it hurt?" asked the rabbit. "Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt." "Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?" "It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand." - from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:17 am

That's really nice why would we laugh? :?

"There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience and that is not learning from experience."
~Archibald Mcleish~
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:59 pm

I agree. Definitely nothing to laugh at. In fact, some of my favorite quotes and passages come from "children's" stories. I put that word in quotes because there tends to be a sad misunderstanding that just because a book or story is focused on a child or children, it is somehow therefore "childish" or less intelligent or important as "adult" books. Total rubbish! The Velveteen Rabbit makes me cry *every time* I read it. I mean, I've got tears rolling down my face! Very rarely does an "adult" book touch my heart in such a way, but I can think of several children's and young adult books that reverberate in my heart. Thanks for the fab quote!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:37 pm

No, thank you Malia, for being understanding. You hit my worry right on the head. I cry everytime I read it too and I always thought that particular passage had a very deep meaning. But it wasn't Shakespeare, so I hesistated. I'm glad you all liked it.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous