Inspiring and uplifting

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Inspiring and uplifting

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Besides our dear Junkets, who else inspires and uplifts you ( artistically I mean)? For me it is Jonsi Birgisson ( Sigur Ros and Riceboy Sleeps)- there is something truly magical about his voice and music- he is the only other artist besides John Keats that I have sensed some almost divine magic in that awes, uplifts and enthralls me. They have in common artistry that is of a genuis coming from a humble, almost ordinary person.

Ordinary in the sense of coming from unremarkable backgrounds yet the genuis flowing throught them gives them this immmense ability to allow the magic to flow through them creating such beautiful art and shining through them which gives them this almost amazing presence.

Their effect ( of John and Jonsi) on me is almost identical- a reaction of the heart, senses and imagination. In fact they have the same first name- Jonsi being his affectionate name- he is actually Jon!

From 4.00 onwards- something so beautiful it defines description for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgP5Q9vZal8
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Inspiring and uplifting

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:36 pm

Raphael wrote:For me it is Jonsi Birgisson ( Sigur Ros and Riceboy Sleeps)

Hooray! Another Sigur Ros fan! I could listen to him all day; he really does have that transcendental quality that you describe. I remember once that one of the DJs on my radio station (which plays Sigur Ros because it is the best radio station ever, I do not exaggerate) said that he could be singing about latrines and she wouldn't care because the music is so beautiful! :lol:

I'm very excited to his upcoming solo album, Go. They've been playing the first single from that on the aforementioned station for a few months now and it's left me champing at the bit! He'll be doing some singing in English as well, which just adds another dimension of enjoyment.

Jonsi is playing two concerts here in April. I'm desperate to go, but don't think I'll be able to afford it. :(

As for other artists who inspire me. . . ? Literature was my first love, but music took over after I became a musician myself, so that is really the art form that stirs me the most, and my interest is extremely varied and expansive. Different artists inspire me in different ways and appeal to different aspects of my spirit, be it as a player or composer or simply a human being.

Maybe I'll make a abridged list. :P

ETA: This is the Sigur Ros song that's been getting the most play time on my iPod of late: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yjurf5d6X0
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:25 pm

I love Saeglopur also! So epic! I want to see his concet too- but impossible to afford when one is jobless. :cry:
Can you get overtime at work so you can go?
I haven't heard any of Jonsi's new music yet. Does he play guitar with the cello bow again?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Raphael wrote:Can you get overtime at work so you can go?

Alas, I'm salaried, so no OT possible.

I really shouldn't say "alas" to that. It's a very good thing usually.

Raphael wrote:I haven't heard any of Jonsi's new music yet. Does he play guitar with the cello bow again?

This is the only one I'm familiar with off the new album. There could very well be some bowed guitar inside the tintinabulations here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_dCH2WEvk

I'm kind of obsessed with the piccolo part, especially around 3:40 (and I don't just say that because I'm a flutist :P). Whenever this one comes on the radio when I'm driving, I crank it and am officially happy for 4 minutes.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:12 pm

[
quote="Credo Buffa"]
Raphael wrote:Can you get overtime at work so you can go?

Alas, I'm salaried, so no OT possible.

I have always been salaried in previous jobs - doesn't stop them offering overtime! Or do an extra job for a short time?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:19 pm

This is the only one I'm familiar with off the new album. There could very well be some bowed guitar inside the tintinabulations here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv_dCH2WEvk

I'm kind of obsessed with the piccolo part, especially around 3:40 (and I don't just say that because I'm a flutist :P). Whenever this one comes on the radio when I'm driving, I crank it and am officially happy for 4 minutes.

I LOVE it! I will get his new album if this is a taste of things to come- I only hope though that he won't do all his new music in English- I just love the Icelandic and Hopelandic.

I love the photo of him too- he is just so quirky and beautiful!I see he's still got his adorable Tin Tin hair do! :D

I found this one on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WomtTi0wY&NR=1

and this ( my fave so far!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJl7SKGU ... re=related

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Raphael wrote:I found this one on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1WomtTi0wY&NR=1

and this ( my fave so far!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJl7SKGU ... re=related

Thank you for finding these! It's helping to quell my frustration at having to wait until April to get my hands on this album!

Raphael wrote:I have always been salaried in previous jobs - doesn't stop them offering overtime! Or do an extra job for a short time?

I work in non-profit, so I'm lucky to have what pay and benefits I already have.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Raphael » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Thank you for finding these! It's helping to quell my frustration at having to wait until April to get my hands on this album!

I love you tube. :D

Raphael wrote:I work in non-profit, so I'm lucky to have what pay and benefits I already have.

I think you have better job opportunities in the USA than what we have here in Britain- it is dire here. Even had the chance of a minimum wage job of £5.80 an hour is impossible at the moment ( and I'm a graduate- though fat lot of good that did for my job prospects).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous