Pre-Raphaelites

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Pre-Raphaelites

Postby Maureen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:09 pm

Sorry if there has been a discussion on this topic - I have done a search and couldn't find anything.

Having watched, and loved, the series 'Desperate Romantics' last year I have been reading round the subject of the Pre-Raphaelite painters and poets: one draw was their love of the Romantic poets. Rossetti especially loved Keats and part of the reason he became friends with Holman Hunt was his admiration for Hunt's painting based on 'The Eve of St Agnes'; Millais' 'Lorenzo and Isabella' is also, as its name suggests, based on Keats.

In view of our current discussion of the morals and mores of 19th Century life, I found it interesting reading about this group of painters and poets because they lived a generation later, and the Victorian values which still overshadow our society gradually took hold during their lives: as younger men their licentious behaviour - drinking, staying up till all hours, consorting with prostitutes (using them as models - among other things...)etc were tolerated, but as they grew older they were all in various ways rejected by 'polite' society and were regarded as the first 'Bohemians'.

Anyone else interested in the Pre-Raphaelites?
Maureen

Re: Pre-Raphaelites

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Sorry if there has been a discussion on this topic - I have done a search and couldn't find anything.

I started this thread while back Maureen. You will like the link I found!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7521

I conduct tours on "Literary Themes in PRB Paintings" at an art gallery (voluntary work) - which includes Isabella ( painted by John Everett millais) and The Eve of St Agnes ( painted by William Holman Hunt).

Having watched, and loved, the series 'Desperate Romantics' last year I have been reading round the subject of the Pre-Raphaelite painters and poets: one draw was their love of the Romantic poets. Rossetti especially loved Keats and part of the reason he became friends with Holman Hunt was his admiration for Hunt's painting based on 'The Eve of St Agnes'; Millais' 'Lorenzo and Isabella' is also, as its name suggests, based on Keats.

I have a quote by Gabriel Rossetti at home ( which I found during my research)- I can type up for you next time if you like?He calls our John a "glorious fellow." Gabriel declared John as the spiritual leader of the PRB apparently! :D
A man of great taste!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby marwood » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Yes I love the Pre-Raphaelites and thought desperate romantics
was a fab programme, in fact I bought the dvd last week!
Birmingham museum and art gallery has a good collection of
Pre- Raphaelite paintings, I like Rossetti's Proserpine, i have a print
on my wall :D

Take care,
Chin chin, Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Maureen » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Raphael wrote:I started this thread while back Maureen. You will like the link I found!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7521

I conduct tours on "Literary Themes in PRB Paintings" at an art gallery (voluntary work) - which includes Isabella ( painted by John Everett millais) and The Eve of St Agnes ( painted by William Holman Hunt).

I have a quote by Gabriel Rossetti at home ( which I found during my research)- I can type up for you next time if you like?He calls our John a "glorious fellow." Gabriel declared John as the spiritual leader of the PRB apparently! :D
A man of great taste!

Apologies for thread duplication folks - one of the perils of still being a newbie! :oops:

Thanks Raphael - would love to see that quote.

Marwood - the book accompanying the series is interesting too - adds more background and information.

And - this may be controversial! - when I saw the series I thought the same actors could play the Romantic poets quite easily: the actor playing Rossetti could play Byron (in a lot of ways Rossetti's life and attitudes were similar to Byron's anyway); Hunt could double as Shelley, and the lovely actor who played Millais could be our man?
Maureen

Postby Cybele » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:47 am

There's another PRB fan here!!

I feel deprived because we haven't had the "Desperate Romantics" over here. And altho' it's available on DVD, the format isn't one that will work on our DVD players. :(
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks Raphael - would love to see that quote.

I will type that for you tommorrow- not got my notes on me ( no web at home).

and the lovely actor who played Millais could be our man?

Oooh have you got a pic? I don't have a TV, not seen the series.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Maureen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:01 am

Here are all three:
From left to right:

Samuel Barnett, playing Millais (who I think could be Junkets)
Aidan Turner, playing Rossetti (or Byron?)
Rafe Spall, playing Holman Hunt (?Shelley)

Interestingly, Samuel Barnett did feature in Bright Star - as Joseph Severn.
Maureen

Postby Raphael » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Thanks Maureen! I'd seen the guy who played Rossetti - he's on the front of a PRB book for sale in the gallery.

Interestingly, Samuel Barnett did feature in Bright Star - as Joseph Severn.

Well...if he had his hair longer like in this photo , parted in the middle and tinted auburn- he could pass for Junkets... :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous