J K's rooms in Wentworth Place

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

J K's rooms in Wentworth Place

Postby Raphael » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:38 pm

I was looking at the photos of the rooms the other day and thought it was interesting that his bedroom walls were pink. Of course, as you all know pink today is seen as a colour for females. I'm wondering who chose the colours for his walls? My pal told me today pink was once seen as a male colour. I doubt he would have had a four poster bed though!
Did the Brawnes have only two bedrooms also? I'm wondering how they would have managed things if John had got well as he was going to live with them after he married Fanny B.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: J K's rooms in Wentworth Place

Postby Malia » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:05 pm

The walls of Keats's bedroom are a kind of salmon pink, not a "true" pink, per se. Yes, it is true that back in the earlier decades of the 20th c. pink was "designated" for boy and blue for girls--then it got switched around (just goes to show you how arbitrary these male/female labels can be!). I assume that Keats had some kind of "postered" bed, as he would have had bed curtains he could draw around the bed to help keep warm. He even mentions having bed curtains in one of his letters.

I'm not sure how many bedrooms the Brawnes had--I have an illustration of the original floor plan for the house at home; I'll look it over and see what it says about bedrooms. I believe there were 3 bedrooms, though--one for Fanny and Margaret, one for Sam and one for their mother. Had Keats lived with them, I assume Margaret would sleep in the same room as her mother and Keats and Fanny would be together.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:13 pm

The walls of Keats's bedroom are a kind of salmon pink, not a "true" pink, per se.

I know what you mean Malia- it's not the sickly pink used in little girl's toys today.
:lol:

Yes, it is true that back in the earlier decades of the 20th c. pink was "designated" for boy and blue for girls--then it got switched around (just goes to show you how arbitrary these male/female labels can be!).

Oh yes indeed- colours for gender are arbitary indeed. I've got a diploma in colour therapy and am very interested in colour.

I assume that Keats had some kind of "postered" bed, as he would have had bed curtains he could draw around the bed to help keep warm. He even mentions having bed curtains in one of his letters.

I've not noticed that in any of the letters- which one is it? I'd love to read all the letters but even the G. Scott edition doesn't contain all his surviving letters. I didn't think he would be "grand" enough for a four poster bed- I assumed only the very rich has those!

I'm not sure how many bedrooms the Brawnes had--I have an illustration of the original floor plan for the house at home; I'll look it over and see what it says about bedrooms. I believe there were 3 bedrooms, though--one for Fanny and Margaret, one for Sam and one for their mother.

Oh please do- I'd love to know. Did you get the plan from Keats House?

Had Keats lived with them, I assume Margaret would sleep in the same room as her mother

Yes that would make sense.

and Keats and Fanny would be together.

in a four poster bed... :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Oops, I just checked my floor plan of Keats House and it is actually the *renovated* floor plan as the how stands now. (It was a guide pamphlet to the house.) But it looks like there are at least 3 rooms on the Brawne's side of the house as it stands today--and probably were at least that many back in the day.

I'll have to look for the letter that references the bed curtains--it was written while Keats was convalescing from his first hemorrhage.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Oops, I just checked my floor plan of Keats House and it is actually the *renovated* floor plan as the how stands now. (It was a guide pamphlet to the house.) But it looks like there are at least 3 rooms on the Brawne's side of the house as it stands today--and probably were at least that many back in the day.

Thanks for the info.They ought to know at Keats House though.. they must have the original plans somewhere in there in their office/records.

I'll have to look for the letter that references the bed curtains--it was written while Keats was convalescing from his first hemorrhage.

I'll look in the Scott letters tonight also. Has there ever been an edition that has published all the surviving letters he wrote?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:15 am

Raphael wrote:
I'll look in the Scott letters tonight also. Has there ever been an edition that has published all the surviving letters he wrote?

Raphael, I know they're out there. I checked Amazon, but it's just select letters you'll find. I checked our local public library, and it was even worse --they don't even have the one-volume complete poems anymore.

There is a five volume edition of both the poems and letters. Our local university has it.
http://kentlink.kent.edu/search~S1?/Xco ... D&7%2C7%2C

(I've often hunted down a book by its ISBN. You know, the thrill of the hunt, etc. :lol:)

I liked the way this collection was organized. Your comments made me think I should look at these volumes again. You don't often see the essays -- those written while Keats was filling in for Reynolds. (Unfortunately, unless you're near a big city library, you'd have to check out a university library.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Montmorenci » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 am

I have a book of his letters, I think it has 214 total letters. It appears to be complete. It's called , "The Letters of John Keats" with him sitting in a chair reading with his arm propped up on the chair next to him. It's by Elibron Classics. Hope this helps.
Montmorenci

Postby Cybele » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:02 am

Montmorenci wrote:I have a book of his letters, I think it has 214 total letters. It appears to be complete. It's called , "The Letters of John Keats" with him sitting in a chair reading with his arm propped up on the chair next to him. It's by Elibron Classics. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help -- thank you, Montmorenci!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:50 pm

Montmorenci wrote:I have a book of his letters, I think it has 214 total letters. It appears to be complete. It's called , "The Letters of John Keats" with him sitting in a chair reading with his arm propped up on the chair next to him. It's by Elibron Classics. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the mention- I didn't find it on Amazon- who is the author/editor?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Cybele wrote:
Raphael wrote:

Raphael, I know they're out there. I checked Amazon, but it's just select letters you'll find. I checked our local public library, and it was even worse --they don't even have the one-volume complete poems anymore.

There is a five volume edition of both the poems and letters. Our local university has it.
http://kentlink.kent.edu/search~S1?/Xco ... D&7%2C7%2C

(I've often hunted down a book by its ISBN. You know, the thrill of the hunt, etc. :lol:)

Thanks Malia- it hasn't the Book at the moment- I have only so far seen selected letters myself.

I liked the way this collection was organized. Your comments made me think I should look at these volumes again. You don't often see the essays -- those written while Keats was filling in for Reynolds. (Unfortunately, unless you're near a big city library, you'd have to check out a university library.)

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous