Robert Frost

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Robert Frost

Postby Raphael » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Cybele; The fact that you mention you're from Ohio might explain your use of the profile portrait of Keats as your icon. It's a detail taken from Haydon's famous painting, "Christ´s Entry Into Jerusalem" which hangs in the atrium of the chapel of Mt. St. Mary's Seminary (Atheneum of Ohio) in Cincinnati, Ohio. However did it get there?

I'd love to know how it got there too! There is one of his paintings in a gallery in Liverpool- it was orginally hung in a school for blind children. It shows Jesus having a child brought to him. It was painted after John had passed away in the 1830's.
Considering Haydon's poor eyesight ( I read he had to sometimes wear 3 pairs of spectacles at once) it's quite something that he could produce these enormous vivid paintings.

Back to Robert Frost, I especially like Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening and Nothing Gold Can Stay. Frost said of Stopping by Woods that it contained everything he knew and that he had never written anything better. It's the only poem that I have taken the trouble to memorize and it never tires. It was written in 1912. It's last stanza is a fascinating example of the death-wish motif. I consider the first line of this stanza, in all of its naked simplicity, to be as good a definition of beauty as can be found --lovely, dark, deep--

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go befoe I sleep.

He was a good poet to be sure!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Robert Frost

Postby steffen » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:15 am

I mentioned in a previous post a poem of Robert Frost's, NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY. It's very appropriate for this time of year.
Compare these lines --- ". . .Then leaf subsides to leaf, / So Eden sank to grief, / So dawn to day, / Nothing gold can stay."---- to Juliet's lament on gazing through the window at the first light of dawn after her first and only night in the lap of love, alone with Romeo: "More light to light, more dark and dark our woes": a lethal blend of Eros and THANATOS, this latter being Freud's designation for the death wish.

NOTHING GOLD CAN STAY

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower,
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

"By giving a higher meaning to that which is common, the appearance of mystery to the ordinary, the dignity of the unfamiliar to the well-known, and infinite significance to the finite, so I may be said to `romanticise´ it." ( Novalis, the pen name of Friedrich von Hardenberg, German romantic poet, d.1801). Much of Frost's work would seem to fit this finely thought out description of romanticism.

Any comments on this?
steffen

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous