John Keats a poet of his time?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

John Keats a poet of his time?

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 am

Here's something I wonder about- of course most of us are to some degree or other a product of our time, and in some ways John Keats was very much of his time ( and that's not a bad thing....)- the question is if he had been born in the middle to late c.20th and was a young poet then or early in this century would he be as great a poet as he was living in the Regency period?
Would he if writing now, have come up with the themes and philosphies like Negative Capability? I'm wondering how much his sorrows in his life contributed to his poetic genius. The sorrows he would have today would be rather different- no unconsummated love, no TB, probably no loss of his parents (and Tom) early on in his life.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: John Keats a poet of his time?

Postby Malia » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:25 am

I think that, if Keats lived in today's world, he might not become a poet at all--certainly not a serious one. I expect he would have gone right to becoming playwright. But who in Hades really knows?! There are simply too many variables at play here. I suspect he wouldn't be "Keats" the way we know him, that's for sure.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:46 am

Malia wrote:I think that, if Keats lived in today's world, he might not become a poet at all--certainly not a serious one. I expect he would have gone right to becoming playwright. But who in Hades really knows?! There are simply too many variables at play here. I suspect he wouldn't be "Keats" the way we know him, that's for sure.

That's what the early hours does to me Malia- I seem to muse on things more than the day time! :lol:
I've got the web at home now and it's rather addictive...
I think being a poet is who he is- I can't imagine him doing much else no matter what time he would be in, but the themes of his poems could be diferent now- less of the thwarted desires maybe more on ecological things- he did love nature after all!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 am

I think that, if Keats lived in today's world, he might not become a poet at all--certainly not a serious one. I expect he would have gone right to becoming playwright. But who in Hades really knows?! There are simply too many variables at play here. I suspect he wouldn't be "Keats" the way we know him, that's for sure.

That's what the early hours does to me Malia- I seem to muse on things more than the day time! :lol:
I've got the web at home now and it's rather addictive...

I think being a poet is who he is- I can't imagine him doing much else no matter what time he would be in, but the themes of his poems could be diferent now- less of the thwarted desires maybe more on ecological things- he did love nature after all![/quote]

I should probably go to bed and stop thinking and start dreaming. :lol:

PS check out my new thread in poems odes and plays...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous