A gift for Junkets

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A gift for Junkets

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:14 am

If you could give him a gift what would it be? You can hypothesise either on if you were living back then or you could briefly go back in time and give him something then... :wink:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: A gift for Junkets

Postby marwood » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:44 am

Antibiotics! :wink:
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Cybele » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 pm

I think someone in a much earlier post about a similar topic mentioned a bottle of Lysol and a box of gauze masks.

Such things as antibiotics and disinfectants could have (and almost certainly would have) changed the course of history in too many ways to count.

But since this is a question inviting speculation -- how about some modern science textbooks? Especially chemistry. ( I recently realized how much his knowledge of chemistry influenced our guy's poetry.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:29 pm

Cybele wrote:I think someone in a much earlier post about a similar topic mentioned a bottle of Lysol and a box of gauze masks.

Such things as antibiotics and disinfectants could have (and almost certainly would have) changed the course of history in too many ways to count.

But since this is a question inviting speculation -- how about some modern science textbooks? Especially chemistry. ( I recently realized how much his knowledge of chemistry influenced our guy's poetry.)

I thought someone might mention antibiotics- but how would one persuade him to take them? A mysterious visitor with mysterious medicine... :wink:

If we are going to give him science books he might like Hyperspace by Michio Kaku- it's about string theory.

For more simple pleasures- I wonder if he'd like chocolate and exotic fruits like kiwis and mangos. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:31 am

Raphael wrote:I thought someone might mention antibiotics- but how would one persuade him to take them? A mysterious visitor with mysterious medicine... :wink:

Mmmm. Stranger things have happened! :)

If we are going to give him science books he might like Hyperspace by Michio Kaku- it's about string theory.

I have that book! Yes -- that would be a good choice! (Did you know that Kaku built a particle accelerator in his family's garage when he was in high school? Wouldn't you love to have a kid like that for a neighbor?)

For more simple pleasures- I wonder if he'd like chocolate and exotic fruits like kiwis and mangos. :D

How about "a beaker full of the warm south?" A nice Cabernet Sauvignon from Western Australia? :lol:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:18 am

How about a few tickets to a Broadway show? He loved the theatre (well, at least he loved Mr. Kean) and critiqued some productions for a while. I wonder what he would think about a massive, powerful Broadway play or even musical?

Or, I'd give him the gift of seeing Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. Keats' response to the simple and beautiful places on his walking tour with Brown was overwhelming. Almost sent him into a tizzy. Can you imagine the shock he would have felt seeing Niagara Falls from the Maid of the Mist (at the base of the Falls), or seeing the parks above close up?

What a thought. :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 pm

All great gifts, guys! :) I would offer him a fountain pen, so he could write a little faster ;) and he wouldn't have to pause to "dip" all the time. As far as Broadway shows go, I always thought he would enjoy Phantom of the Opera. We have a local Claret wine from an Eastern Washington winery called "Robert Karl" that I think he would absolutely love! Finally, I'd offer him some fine dark chocolate. For some reason, I think he might like a not-too-sweet dark chocolate to go with his wine.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:30 am

Malia wrote:All great gifts, guys! :) I would offer him a fountain pen, so he could write a little faster ;) and he wouldn't have to pause to "dip" all the time. As far as Broadway shows go, I always thought he would enjoy Phantom of the Opera. We have a local Claret wine from an Eastern Washington winery called "Robert Karl" that I think he would absolutely love! Finally, I'd offer him some fine dark chocolate. For some reason, I think he might like a not-too-sweet dark chocolate to go with his wine.

Why stop with a fountain pen? Why not a laptop? :wink:
How 'bout a DVD of "West Side Story"? I think he'd like that, too.
And you just can't go wrong with red wine & dark chocolate!
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Very cool ideas folks. Original too. I like the Claret and Chocolate too.

I know Keats loved peaches. I wonder how he'd respond to tangelos (combination orange and grapefruit). My grandfather used to grow them in his backyard in Florida and they were insanely big and juicy and sweet. I think Keats would swoon. Peaches are great, but these fruits contain 7-8 ounces of juice in one fruit. mmmm .....sure miss them.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 pm

A book token... :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:05 pm

How about a few tickets to a Broadway show? He loved the theatre (well, at least he loved Mr. Kean) and critiqued some productions for a while. I wonder what he would think about a massive, powerful Broadway play or even musical?

He might well like that Broken Lyre.
:D

Or, I'd give him the gift of seeing Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon. Keats' response to the simple and beautiful places on his walking tour with Brown was overwhelming. Almost sent him into a tizzy. Can you imagine the shock he would have felt seeing Niagara Falls from the Maid of the Mist (at the base of the Falls), or seeing the parks above close up?

What a thought. :)

Yes- I think he would be awed by that!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 pm

I would offer him a fountain pen, so he could write a little faster ;) and he wouldn't have to pause to "dip" all the time.

A capital gift Malia! What colour ink would you give him?

We have a local Claret wine from an Eastern Washington winery called "Robert Karl" that I think he would absolutely love! Finally, I'd offer him some fine dark chocolate. For some reason, I think he might like a not-too-sweet dark chocolate to go with his wine.

Plying him with red wine and dark chocolate eh.... :wink:

It occurred to me the other night what I would give him... a massage! And I would not charge him a farthing for it! I have a diploma in Indian Head Massage. It starts with the back, then the back of the neck, the arms, hair and scalp then the face ( the person leans back onto you to have the face done, and like Mr Keats I'm not tall so he would be very easy for me to do. Tall people can be difficult as I cannot see over the head as well).

To make it extra special I would use warm coconut oil ( it is solid in a bottle and one has to put the bottle into hot water to make it liquid). It smells divine and slides into the skin leaving it feeling gorgeous and silky smooth.
This massage treatment leaves the person feeling relaxed, so perfect for him on his anxious days. By the time I had finished with him he would be floating with the lightness of a cloud..... :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:21 pm

I know Keats loved peaches.

I hadn't read that. I know he loved nectarines tho.

I wonder how he'd respond to tangelos (combination orange and grapefruit). My grandfather used to grow them in his backyard in Florida and they were insanely big and juicy and sweet. I think Keats would swoon.

Well he liked oranges too- so I bet he would- imagine his description of eating it... :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby steffen » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:29 pm

I would give him all the books on my shelves that have to do with his poetry, letters biographies, reprints of conferences, photos of the museums and places commemorating his life, and a copy of Shelley's Adonais. . . I would complement these with all the other books I coulld affford to buy on the the web. I would print up everything included on this wonderful web-site. I wouldn't include a video of "Bright Star" as I think he would find it embarrassing.

Finally there would be a short note saying, "Take and see, dear friend Junkets, how much you are loved and revered, GREAT POET OF ENGLAND: Your name is writ, not in water, but in our minds and hearts --indelibly."
steffen

Postby Raphael » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

steffen wrote:Finally there would be a short note saying, "Take and see, dear friend Junkets, how much you are loved and revered, GREAT POET OF ENGLAND: Your name is writ, not in water, but in our minds and hearts --indelibly."

Awwww how sweet- but yes it's true.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Miscellaneous