Page 1 of 3

English IV quiz--and my students complained

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:17 pm
by dks
I gave this quiz today. My students complained about how "unbelievably hard" it was. Is this difficult, people? Yeesh. It's going to be a long year... :? Keep in mind these are advanced level students... :shock:

On the Grasshopper and Cricket

The poetry of earth is never dead:
When all the birds are faint with the hot sun,
And hide in cooling trees, a voice will run
From hedge to hedge about the new-mown mead;
That is the Grasshopper's--he takes the lead
In summer luxury,--he has never done
With his delights; for when tired out with fun
He rests at ease beneath some pleasant weed.
The poetry of earth is ceasing never:
On a lone winter evening, when the frost
Has wrought a silence, from the stove there shrills
The Cricket's song, in warmth increasing ever,
And seems to one in drowsiness half lost,
The Grasshopper's among some grassy hills.

John Keats


Poetry Elements Quiz
Shelkey

“On the Grasshopper and the Cricket” by John Keats

1. How does the title add to the meaning?



2. Name the senses to which this poem appeals.



3. Is there a plot? If so, what type?



4. How many feet are in each line?



5. What kind of meter is present?



6. What kind of repetition is present?



7. Does this poem rhyme? If so, is it end or internal rhyme?



8. This is a sonnet, so what kind of form is this poem?



9. What mental picture do you conjure after reading this poem?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:24 pm
by Saturn
Do you wish us to write our own answers?

How long did you give them for it so I can time myself? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:40 pm
by Malia
Saturn wrote:Do you wish us to write our own answers?

How long did you give them for it so I can time myself? :wink:


That would be fun! It would certainly help me brush up on all the mechanics of poetry. . .metre? What in heck is that again? :lol:

I have a paper to finish this weekend (my first as a grad student *gulp*) all about a dysfunctional manager I once had. I'm supposed to describe the dysfunctional manager's behavior and my reaction to said behavior and then interpret this behavior/reaction using texts we've been reading. Gads! I'm going to have to remember how to quote and cite a source!

Anyway, all that running off at the mouth was just a preface to say that I want to try your quiz, dks--but it'll have to wait til after Monday ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:12 pm
by dks
Saturn wrote:Do you wish us to write our own answers?

How long did you give them for it so I can time myself? :wink:


They had 20 minutes. I thought that was plenty of time. They whined endlessly. :roll:

Will you take the Poetry Elements Quiz challenge, Stephen? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:14 pm
by dks
Malia wrote:Anyway, all that running off at the mouth was just a preface to say that I want to try your quiz, dks--but it'll have to wait til after Monday ;)


That won't do, Miss Malia. I don't accept late work. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:09 pm
by Saturn
dks wrote:
Saturn wrote:Do you wish us to write our own answers?

How long did you give them for it so I can time myself? :wink:


They had 20 minutes. I thought that was plenty of time. They whined endlessly. :roll:

Will you take the Poetry Elements Quiz challenge, Stephen? :lol:


I confess I would totally fail this test :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:05 am
by dks
Saturn wrote:I confess I would totally fail this test :oops:


:lol: Rubbish.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:22 am
by Saturn
I'm being deadly serious.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 pm
by dks
Saturn wrote:I'm being deadly serious.


Well, it's ok, see, you have an excellent excuse. You didn't take notes in my class on the Elements of Poetry Powerpoint I gave them--had you done so, my dear, you would've aced this trifling quiz. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:57 pm
by Malia
I'm going to take the test, dks :) I can always use the trusty internet to remember what feet and meter are! :lol: And I haven't analyzed a poem in a while--I kinda miss it, ya know.

I'm almost done with my paper--having a bit of trouble focusing on the last few paragraphs. You know how it is, the closer you are to the finish line, the harder the running becomes. But I've got Lionel Richie's Love songs on the CD player--he'll get me though ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:22 pm
by dks
Malia wrote:I'm going to take the test, dks :) I can always use the trusty internet to remember what feet and meter are! :lol: And I haven't analyzed a poem in a while--I kinda miss it, ya know.

I'm almost done with my paper--having a bit of trouble focusing on the last few paragraphs. You know how it is, the closer you are to the finish line, the harder the running becomes. But I've got Lionel Richie's Love songs on the CD player--he'll get me though ;)


That's excellent, Miss Malia! Lionel would help anyone get through anything with that soulful crooning, eh? :wink:

This quiz is a nothing--really--I mean, they took notes for God's sake--and I even let them use their notes for the quiz--they still did miserably. :?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:35 pm
by Saturn
The thing about me is I have no analytical facilities.

I can read and understand something but the technicalities, the science of literature, is a foreign language to me.

I know nothing of feet, metre, sonnet forms or rhyme schemes etc.

I know what I like and why I like it that's all.

I am a very poor scholar.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:01 am
by dks
Saturn wrote: I am a very poor scholar.


I think not. You're a brilliant poet. :shock:

In fact, I want to use Tantalus as an explication piece in class this week. Of course, I would need your permission. I could name it "anonymous" as the poet, if you wish, good man.

My analytical facilites are not good, either. I just have a passion for literature--namely poetry--namely the British Romantics--ok, namely Keats. I wish to pass it along, is all...I only know meter and rhyme because I teach it...I'm no Socrates or anything...my students think it quite strange that I should be "in love with a dead poet." I tell them to shut the hell up-- at 17 years, it's the longest relationship I've ever had with a man! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:52 pm
by AhDistinctly
dks wrote:
Saturn wrote: I am a very poor scholar.


I think not. You're a brilliant poet. :shock:

In fact, I want to use Tantalus as an explication piece in class this week. Of course, I would need your permission. I could name it "anonymous" as the poet, if you wish, good man.

Ooh! Don't let him get away with an anonymous! Saturn, I believe, mentioned on some thread hereabouts that publishing his poems *is but a pipe dream* or some such nonsense. We need to have him HUNGER to have his name in print, or he'll never be motivated to share his talent outside a small circle of admirers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 pm
by AhDistinctly
dks wrote:
Saturn wrote:I'm being deadly serious.

Well, it's ok, see, you have an excellent excuse. You didn't take notes in my class on the Elements of Poetry Powerpoint I gave them--had you done so, my dear, you would've aced this trifling quiz. :wink:

:idea: Have you ever considered putting a little "elements of poetry" lecture up on this site, Denise? Seriously -- a podcast or something? Or, if you fear the camera's unforgiving eye (although you have no right to, as far as I can see!), a narrated PowerPoint?