Keats convert

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats convert

Postby Ennis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Hello, everyone!
I thought you all would appreciate this from one of my former students. She was in my 7th grade advanced English class last year, and she keeps in touch with me this year. She's cool with me posting her writing, and I thought you guys would enjoy reading the writings of a 13-year old!!!

Dear Ms. Norman,

The poems below are just a few snippets I wrote over the summer that I thought you might like to read. The first one is a thank-you for the journal. John Keats was always writing poems to people who gave him things, probably because he lived before the era of Hallmark cards! . . .
I appreciate your poetic guidance, . . . although Mr. Feste likes poetry, he's into, you know, modern poetry, which probably means I need to refrain from using "thy" and "fortnight" and "harken" in his classroom!
Anyway, I really appreciate you introducing me to John Keats, and I'll try to give you a poem whenever I can.

Sincerely,
Muse Aloft (I loosely borrowed this phrase from a verse in the second book of Hyperion. I thought it sounded more sophisticated than "You Know Who.")

A Note to the Kind Giver of This Journal

Words, I feel, cannot express as they ought
Thy glory of this gift, for 'tis as a draught
Of cool and soothing water to a youthful bard
Who, for lack of such fine paper, 'twas long barred
From such delight as to compose as freely as this
And to write in so fine a journal! 'Tis bliss
To merely sift through such golden pages
As if thy mighty King Midas they did brush --
And, ay! to write without sorting pages for ages
And to admire thy fine cover, its flowers lush.

Sapphire Firefly

How gently thou tender blue light
Doth pierce thy dark night's canopy
And dim thy summer starlight bright
As any stars to mortal eyes may be.
Yet thy light 'tis brighter far
Than that of any wandering star,
And far sweeter blu, I tell ye true,
Than any sky of purest hue.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I wanted to emphasize what all my Keatsian friends already know: that one is NEVER too young to develop and nuture a love of (and for) Keats!!
Remember this, the poet of the two preceding poems is just barely a teenager!
A round of cyber-applause to Muse Aloft! (Robin, if you're reading this: I love your pseudonym!!)
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Re: Keats convert

Postby Raphael » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:01 am

I really liked reading them Ennis- what a talented youngster- do tell this student I said so! Very good structure, rhythm and sentiments.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’