Dead

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Dead

Postby dks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:52 pm

This one came out of thin air...was a pleasant surprise.

Dead

when the crave comes
there is such agitation in my bones
to slip out of my skin,
to declare, say—

but the carving and etching takes even more days
a fingernail edge…filing-scratch, serrated see-saw of days—
…finally
fresh hewn phrases tumble from back of my tongue
to taste the page

and perhaps the siren slices gems
to fashion what is said
in sounds sculpted, molded
sage

I can only make you out of words
what I seize, capture in my head—
chain what is real to my paper walls,
kill actuality dead
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Re: Dead

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Wonderful - and so very nice to hear from you dks!!
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby dks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for reading it, BL. This place is never far from me; I'm just wrangled by life mostly these days...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 pm

Who isn't? and I second the words of BrokenLyre. Hope you're keeping well Denise.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:32 pm

Sadly appropriate poem, given that tonight it will be 191 years since our poet "gasped his last". Haven't we all been trying to "make [him] out of words" - his own and ours - since then?
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:11 pm

I agree cath. Glad for my friends on this Forum. Who else can understand the reflections we all have on this February day? Cloudy, cold, some snow on the ground outside my window. It's a dismal February morning. And I remember.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby dks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:47 pm

Saturn wrote:Who isn't? and I second the words of BrokenLyre. Hope you're keeping well Denise.

...exactly. And I didn't mean that to be exclusive to myself...I am certain everyone here is in life's blender; I just feel grateful that when I do come back and post, my beloved forum always answers back with open embrace...

The day is gray here, too...seems even the skies remember the loss...
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Cath wrote:Sadly appropriate poem, given that tonight it will be 191 years since our poet "gasped his last". Haven't we all been trying to "make [him] out of words" - his own and ours - since then?

...indeed we have...Thank you for taking the time to read my poem and making such an honored connection...
dks
Dante

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’