Page 1 of 1

Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm
by titian dj
We filled a Grecian jug with claret;
the carved venison haunch sat next
to bowls of berries, and Rydal's stream flowed through
its mossy bed. How we admired those flowers
and bowers in the noontide light.

Our bread was plump with grain
and the sweet scent of apples and hay conspired
to overpower a round of ripened Brie. There, resting
near a sprinkle of wild poppies, we wrote and rhymed
then quietly stumbled into an immortal sleep.

When summer brims, and the warm days
never seem to cease, it's fine to dream
of love and the language of wine.

'I've got a bit of a cough,' he said.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:01 pm
by Saturn
I hope you don't mind me moving this poem to here titian dj, I like it a lot.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm
by titian dj
Thanks, Saturn

I don't mind at all. Delighted you appreciated my tribute to John Keats,
and more than pleased to find this site. I've always enjoyed picnics;
just ask my belly. *grin*

Best,

Bri

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 pm
by Saturn
In future any poems you've written should be posted in the 'Where's the poet...' section.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 am
by titian dj
Will do, Saturn. Thanks for the advice.

Bri

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:15 pm
by dks
titian dj wrote:We filled a Grecian jug with claret;
the carved venison haunch sat next
to bowls of berries, and Rydal's stream flowed through
its mossy bed. How we admired those flowers
and bowers in the noontide light.

Our bread was plump with grain
and the sweet scent of apples and hay conspired
to overpower a round of ripened Brie. There, resting
near a sprinkle of wild poppies, we wrote and rhymed
then quietly stumbled into an immortal sleep.

When summer brims, and the warm days
never seem to cease, it's fine to dream
of love and the language of wine.

'I've got a bit of a cough,' he said.


Ok--LOVE THIS..."the language of wine..." and the last line...such a nice touch--really, really love this one...

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm
by titian dj
Thank you very much, dks.

Keats, and all the romantics, are a wonderful source of inspiration.

I really enjoyed your reply.

Best,

Bri

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:10 pm
by Raphael
That's a very good poem Bri! The last line is so sweet- I can just see him saying that bless him.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:36 pm
by BrokenLyre
Wow. Love the "To Autumn" borrowings, the feel, and the great ending.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:20 pm
by titian dj
Thanks Raphael

For reading and commenting. Absolutely delighted you enjoyed the poem and pleased the last line had the desired effect. He was only 26 when he died. He achieved so much in those 26 years and God only knows where he'd have taken poetry if he'd lived to the ripe old age of 80.

Much appreciated,

Bri


Raphael wrote:That's a very good poem Bri! The last line is so sweet- I can just see him saying that bless him.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:27 pm
by titian dj
Thanks, Broken

For the great comments. Keats used to enjoy poetry writing picnics with his friends during the summer days and I've often wondered what it would have been like to compete with this incredible poet. His efforts were nearly always voted to the top spot by his writing friends.

Thanks for mentioning the closing line. :)

Pleased you enjoyed.

Best,

Bri

BrokenLyre wrote:Wow. Love the "To Autumn" borrowings, the feel, and the great ending.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:36 pm
by Ennis
Thanks Titian dj, that was absolutely beautiful. Part of my Keats library is a notebook of poems written about our beloved poet. May I print this and add it to my collection?
Unfortunately, I don't have the gift of creating poetry. My thrill is in reading and discussing it with other like-minded folks.
Again, thanks so much.
That last verse is just haunting -- there is no other word to describe it.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:54 pm
by titian dj
Thanks Ennis

For the very generous words. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed this piece. Please go ahead and print my poem, it's a pleasure knowing you'll be sharing it with like-minded people. Take care,

Best,

Bri


Ennis wrote:Thanks Titian dj, that was absolutely beautiful. Part of my Keats library is a notebook of poems written about our beloved poet. May I print this and add it to my collection?
Unfortunately, I don't have the gift of creating poetry. My thrill is in reading and discussing it with other like-minded folks.
Again, thanks so much.
That last verse is just haunting -- there is no other word to describe it.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:18 pm
by steffen
A Happy New Year to you too, Bri,

I truly love this poem, with its rush of rich, flowing language. And then, in stark contrast, a final ominous comment on a persistent cough ----- a surprise ending worthy of O. Henry.

Re: Picnicking with John Keats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:37 pm
by titian dj
Thanks again, Jim

I'm a great lover of Keats and read that he often enjoyed picnicking parties with his friends during the warm summer days. They would often compose a poem or two and then vote for 'poem of the day'. Must have been great. :)

Thanks for the nod to O. Henry. A surprise indeed.

All the best,

Bri


steffen wrote:A Happy New Year to you too, Bri,

I truly love this poem, with its rush of rich, flowing language. And then, in stark contrast, a final ominous comment on a persistent cough ----- a surprise ending worthy of O. Henry.