Suicide tower

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Suicide tower

Postby marwood » Tue May 05, 2009 11:38 am

Two of my sons moved into an apartment block,in the city centre in Birmingham. Just before Christmas,someone jumped
to their death. My sons later found out that the local Police call it suicide tower,as it's not the first time its happened.
Beachy Head by the way is on the south coast of England,it's chalk cliffs some 500ft high,as well as being a very beautiful
tourist attraction,it provides an irresistible draw to those intent on committing suicide.

No sound of tempestuous sea,
Or the Oyster-Catchers
Plaintive
Fading
Call;
Just traffics
Rude
And constant
Roar,
And wailing
Sirens
Reach your
Distant
Ears,
This,your
Beachy Head;
For those
Brief
Last
Moments,
No longer
In life's
Precarious
Grip,
Nor
Yet in
Deaths,
But,
In between
Those two
Worlds,
For that
Instant
Are you
Truly
Free?
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Re: Suicide tower

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Very sad to hear. I have known a few suicides myself, including my babysitter from years ago. Absolutely beautiful girl - tall blonde, but suicide ran in her family.
Years ago, her uncle hung himself from a beam in the attic. Then she hung herself from the same beam in the attic. Then her mother hung herself from the same beam a few years after. The father and son moved away. Happened in upstate NY, in the small town I grew up in. Happened in the street behind my house. I was struck by your poem - the layout reflected the "suicide tower" you mentioned.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’