Another Look at Chapman's Homer - Reworked

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Another Look at Chapman's Homer - Reworked

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:41 am

Here is an 8th grader's revision of "On First looking into Chapman's Homer" Sonnet - but with a focus on math:
(I apologize for those who hate math...but this is interesting)

On First Looking Into Euclidean’s Geometry
(by an 8th grader)

Much have I travell’d in the realms of math,
And many goodly exponents and square roots seen;
Round many geometric figures have I been
Which bards in fealty to Einstein hold.
Oft of some flat surfaces had I been told,
That deep-brow’d Euclid ruled as his demesne;
Yet did I never comprehend his actual theme
Till I heard Dad speak out loud and bold:
Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
While a new formula flows from my pen;
Or like smart Pythagoras when with ingenious eyes
He star’d at his theorem – and all his men
Look’d at each other with a wild surmise –
Silent, upon his equation in Ionian.

Interesting how Keats can affect so many kinds of people and so many ages. Some time ago I sent this to Dr. Jack Stillinger at the University of Chicago. (He's a major Keats scholar and edited the definitive Poems of Keats). He loved it and thought it worth sharing with his students to point out the fact that Keats appeals to so many people and somehow relates to their interests. Well, maybe the math department will open a book on Keats....Just thought you might find it fascinating.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Re: Another Look at Chapman's Homer - Reworked

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:54 am

Very interesting twist!

Did you write this yourself when you were in 8th grade?

You sent this to Dr. Stilinger, who edited the definitive complete works of Keats and editions of the letters, and numerous other works??? :shock:

You say that so casually as if it's a normal thing to do to send a poem to an internationally renowned Keats scholar lol
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:35 am

I didn't think it was such a big deal to send it to Jack Stillinger. I saw his email on the internet, wrote him once and sent it to him. He was kind to write back a few times. (I also emailed Dr. Steven Weinberg, Nobel Laureate in Physics, to express my thanks for his books. He wrote me back too). I figure, if these guys put their email out there - then I can write them :) Can't hurt to try, even thought I know I am a small particle in their respective universes.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Wynn » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:16 am

I like it! Parody's a blast! :D
"Never trust a poet who can't construct a stanza."
— Clive James
Wynn

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’