Music for Ode on a Grecian Urn

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Music for Ode on a Grecian Urn

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:52 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYaiO-zT2A

Here's a link to the new youtube video of Ode ion a Grecian Urn. Thanks for any comments and ratings and sharing with those you think may like it (or not like it!) Anyways, here's to Keats and those who love his work.
Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty
Michael Emmanuel

Postby Raphael » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Michael Emmanuel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYaiO-zT2A

Here's a link to the new youtube video of Ode ion a Grecian Urn. Thanks for any comments and ratings and sharing with those you think may like it (or not like it!) Anyways, here's to Keats and those who love his work.

It is wonderful Michael- such a lovely melody! I think John would like it very much. Are you considering doing some more of his poems to music? I have some "requests"... :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:21 am

Dear [banned member],

I am truly humbled by your response. I feel as though it was meant to be that I should attempt such a thing where perhaps only fools or angels would go. (Or even great classical composers such as Verdi, Gounod and others.) The last lines of the the last stanza where often quoted by my teacher of some ten years but I didn't know where it came from. When I discovered it (after he passed away) the musical ideas had already been birthed but needed words. I cried for days when I found it and honestly feel that I do understand what is being said and no one I've found even comes close to expressing it.

I can only say that it is an honor to have found what seems to me to be a valid musical interpretation for Keats' words and sentiment. I consider it one of mine finest expressions so far.

I'm working on releasing a cd of all classic poems which would be done by now but for equipment failure. Everything I do I do myself at home the best I can.

Best wishes to you. I am motivated further by your kind thoughts and feelings.
Michael Emmanuel

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:40 am

I think [banned member] for speak many of us here Michael. I, for one, was rather "chilled" by your interpretation of Grecian Urn. Chilled in the positive sense that the melody seems to underscore the "Cold Pastoral!" of Keats' own reflection on the Urn (and plastic arts for that matter). I couldn't help but feel the deep pathos in your song and I kept wondering how Keats would have responded to it.
Like many others I'm sure, I was just amazed and delighted to hear your musical work.

Thanks for sharing our love and interest in Keats' life and work.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 pm

The last lines of the the last stanza where often quoted by my teacher of some ten years but I didn't know where it came from. When I discovered it (after he passed away) the musical ideas had already been birthed but needed words. I cried for days when I found it and honestly feel that I do understand what is being said and no one I've found even comes close to expressing it.

That is beautiful Michael. This poems is one of the greatest ever written- full of wisdom and beauty. Your melody and singing bring it to life perfectly- I think this poem came from deep in his soul and the gentleness you bring to it feels close to his tone. I am struggling with the words to express it for I am not poetical at all. His Odes were a great achievement- it is such a shame that they didn't recieve the acclaim back in his day that they deserved. The more I read them the more in awe I am of his genius. It would be impressive enough if he had been an older man- but to write this in his 20s! I'm very impressed at your musical ability to bring out the feeling, tone and beauy of his words.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:25 am

Here's the link to Amazon.com. I'm not sure how that works for the folks across the pond from the U.S. Wishing everyone here all the best and hoping to sing for you someday. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Ode-Grecian-Michael-Emmanuel-Koch/dp/B003N3UF6K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1278558487&sr=1-4
Michael Emmanuel

Postby Ennis » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Raphael wrote:
Michael Emmanuel wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYaiO-zT2A

It is wonderful Michael- such a lovely melody! I think John would like it very much. Are you considering doing some more of his poems to music? I have some "requests"... :D

Wow . . . !
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby gstormcrow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:47 am

I do like this particular work but I honestly must say that I like your adaptation of "Le Belle Dame Sans Merci" much better - I think, as I believe Credo aptly put it, creating music to poetry that wasn't originally meant for music is a monumentally challening task to say the least. In my own amateurish way, I've tried to adapt a couple of J.R.R. Tolkien's works with only marginal success so I can somewhat appreciate (on a lesser degree) the challenges you are faced with. I do sincerely enjoy your work, though - truly inspiring to be sure.

PS the only links currently working for me are the YouTube and Amazon ones
I'm in love with Osama's Aunt Sally
gstormcrow

Previous

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’