New Music for La Belle Dame Sans Merci

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New Music for La Belle Dame Sans Merci

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Thu May 04, 2006 7:10 pm

I written and recorded a version of " La Belle Dame Sans Merci". Come on over and have a listen and leave a comment. Thanks.

http://eternalecstasy.dumvivocano.com/
Michael Emmanuel

Postby Saturn » Thu May 04, 2006 11:19 pm

Thanks Michael - that's extremely good.

It has a kind of medieval troubador feel which really suits the piece :shock: :D

How many more wonderfully talented people can this site contain??

Thanks for putting a link to this site also.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu May 04, 2006 11:21 pm

Once again, I love the folk infusion. It particularly fits this poem, as a ballad. It hearkens back to the musical nature of poetry and stories of old. I also really like the dynamic variety and range that keeps the listener engaged and anticipating through such an extended work.

And I mean this in the most reverent way, but has anyone ever told you that you sound a bit like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull at times? :wink: :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu May 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Saturn wrote:It has a kind of medieval troubador feel which really suits the piece :shock: :D

It appears we're thinking on the same wavelength, Saturn! :lol:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu May 04, 2006 11:28 pm

I honestly think Keats wherever he is would be loving that - it completely respects and honours the poem and also is a great piece of music.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Fri May 05, 2006 2:06 am

Thanks so very much you guys. I am feeling very encouraged. Oh I wish I had my old Jethro Tull records now. I saw them in Madison WI in a huge concert, oh, around 1974-75. They were not the typical band--I really liked the classical infusion, and they had a concert piano and someone who could play it!!

You have given me such high high praise!! I can only hope that the music serves the poetry, whether it be folk or, someday, and sometimes classical.

I see myself as a melodist unwearied, as in "Ode on a Grecian Urn".

Thanks again....

:D
Michael Emmanuel

Postby dks » Fri May 05, 2006 5:15 am

Yes...beautiful, plaintive melody...suits the ethereal, gauziness of Keats's masterpiece... :wink:

Jethro Tull...yeah, I like "Bungle in the Jungle." :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Fri May 05, 2006 10:08 am

Aqualung is the album for me :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: New Music for La Belle Dame Sans Merci

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:37 am

May 2006 wow it's been a while! I went through some pretty hard times to get to this point and to Tucson, Arizona. Non the least was a life threatening cancer. Hope everyone here is doing well and is living life for all it's worth. Here's a new link for La Belle Dame Sans Merci. Hope you like it and pass it on to your friends. Thanks!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekVkIAgbv2k
Beauty is Truth, Truth Beauty
Michael Emmanuel

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 am

Thank you so much [banned member]. That is indeed a very nice compliment. I also have a version of Ode on a Grecian Urn that I'm very pleased with. I had a post about it a very long time ago on this site so the link is probably not good. I'll have to check that out when I have time.

Thanks so much for your comment and encouragement!

Best wishes to you and yours.
Michael Emmanuel

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:06 pm

Michael Emmanuel wrote:May 2006 wow it's been a while! I went through some pretty hard times to get to this point and to Tucson, Arizona. Non the least was a life threatening cancer. Hope everyone here is doing well and is living life for all it's worth. Here's a new link for La Belle Dame Sans Merci. Hope you like it and pass it on to your friends. Thanks!! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekVkIAgbv2k

Goodness me- that is good Michael! I love it. It has a great medieval feel- are you playing a lute in some parts? I cannot believe that the picture in your video is the very one I have had hung over my fireplace for about 5 years! I never knew it was La Belle Dame, but it has reminded me of it for a long time. I would really love to hear Ode To A Grecian Urn- please post it ! Are you going to do some more poems? You are seriously good at this- I think you should make a CD! I'm sorry to hear about your cancer- I wish you Health Happiness and Good Fortune.
Raphael.
Last edited by Raphael on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re:

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Saturn wrote:I honestly think Keats wherever he is would be loving that - it completely respects and honours the poem and also is a great piece of music.

I agree! I can picture him sitting there now- one leg over the other knee, listening intently and nodding slightly every now and again at the interpretation! And he is thinking in wonder : "I am among the poets after my death..."
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby PaulW » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:03 am

Michael Emmanuel wrote:I written and recorded a version of " La Belle Dame Sans Merci". Come on over and have a listen and leave a comment. Thanks.

http://eternalecstasy.dumvivocano.com/

that link's dead for me, here in 2010, but i think the same piece is on youtube, yes?
PaulW

Postby Michael Emmanuel » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:08 am

Sorry for not getting over here sooner. Yes you can here it on my YouTube channel here:
http://www.youtube.com/michaelemmanuel

And thanks again everyone.
Michael Emmanuel

Postby gstormcrow » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:11 am

What an awesome musical adaptation of Kaets' work! 'La Belle Dame Sans Merci' has always been one of my favourite poems and your original music does great honor to it.

I do have to partially disagree with others on this post whom think you sound like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull. Though your lute/guitar chords and strummings sound very Tull-esque with the cello/voilin dropping in at perfect times to evoke that deeply pastoral/"bard" feeling, I believe your voice sounds more like Glenn Yarborough in a lower pitch.(to me your voice is more pleasing than Mr. Yarborough's) That being said, you have a wonderful singing voice with great power and range. I can't wait to hear your adaptation of "Ode on a Grecian Urn" which I will be listening to next.
I'm in love with Osama's Aunt Sally
gstormcrow

Next

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’