Happy News

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:43 am

Thought I should keep this good news thread going with a few good things that have happened in my world lately. :)

1. Got my hair cut today and it looks faaabulous

2. I was successfully able to beg my professor to change our syllubus so that, instead of 6 papers and 2 research projects, we only need to write *4* papers and do 2 research projects--sometimes it pays to throw dignity to the wind :lol:

3. Received the 8x10 photo I bought of Brian Piccolo being tackled by the Detroit Lions in the mail today. Will look amazing on the wall kitty-corner to my huge framed Keats poster! I guess that *is* the definition of "random," isn't it?

Anyone else have happy news to report? It can be "mundane" happy or any other variety of happy :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:11 am

Pic of the new hairdo please in the picture thread Malia? :wink:

[it's completely safe]

My happy news is for those in the know about my latest problem:

The crisis has abated for the present.

That is all.

:!:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:20 am

My friend has had three conditional offers for places at University.

This from someone who suffers from dyslexia and only two-and-half years ago dropped out of school.

I'm so immensely proud of her and happy for her :D

Now comes the hard part: deciding between them :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:48 pm

Woo hoo! That's very exciting. :D

I haven't wanted to get too excited about this because it's a bit off in the future yet so it might not flesh out, but I might have at least some part-time work at a job in my field when I get home this summer. It's with a music school that hires out private teachers to go into homes and teach instrumental music lessons. I decided to send them an e-mail and let them know I'd be interested in working for them if they ever needed a flute teacher, and they said they're always looking to add new teachers and that they'd be glad to interview me when I get back to the States. So yay! It might not be a lot of hours (at least at first), but I think it's supposed to pay relatively well and it'd give me some valuable teaching experience, especially since I'm becoming more and more interested in the idea of starting my own flute studio someday. :D
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:16 pm

That is sweet, Credo! (or should I say "sa-weeet!") Now, this gets me to wondering (my old brain can't remember the details), are you done with your masters this year or are you going back to Ireland for another year after this one? I had it in my head that you were in an accelerated-type one year program. Is that right?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:01 pm

Yup, just one year (not even, just nine months!) to cram in an entire masters. Way stressful, but much cheaper! Not that my current student loan balance looks like anything that can be described as "cheap" though. :roll:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:15 pm

Wow, I can only imagine the piles of work you're going through. I had planned to get my masters in 2 years--looks like it will be 2 years and 1 semester now. . .it is tough to do well when you've got work coming out your eyeballs. I know some kids in my program who are trying to get their masters in one year--they look like walking zombies. Part of the problem is that they are working part (and sometimes full) time jobs on top of taking 3 or 4 masters level classes in one semester. This program is just rife with reading and writing, too. Some classes require you to read 8 books (some 300-400 pgs.), watch 3 movies, discuss a book a week and write several papers--and do presentations, to boot. I only work part time, but right now, my sanity can only handle one class. But we have 4 papers and two huge research projects to do. My dad always said part of a masters program is to determine how much it takes to "break" you! :lol: Boy, is he ever right on that point. Good luck with your degree. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:33 pm

Ugh, yeah. It's pretty sobering to know that between now and the time I leave in June, I'll have researched, written, and turned in 25,000+ words (two semester projects and my dissertation) and one 4-6" music composition. That's actually one thing that really makes me angry about this program: we don't have the summer to work on our dissertation like pretty much everyone else in every other masters program here. We're having to do coursework and dissertation work at the same time. It's really maddening.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:10 am

Happy news, hot off the presses! I just found out that my project partner Sarah and I received the only A+ in the class for our Case Study project in organizational communication! Well, who's to say an English major and an Art History major can't get together and work wonders in business communications :lol: ?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:25 am

Congratulations Malia :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D etc etc.

I've never got an A+ for anything in my life :shock:

Well done to the pair of you.

How does an an English major and an Art History major get together for a case study project in organizational communication in the first place anyway :?:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:44 am

Brilliantly, of course. :P

You are a shining example of how people with English degrees can do anything, Malia. Now if only the rest of the world would believe it. :roll:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:29 am

Or ancient/modern history degrees like mine...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu May 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Last night was the last hurrah for my organizational communication class. My project partner and I had to give a presentation and we were told it was "excellent". Larry (our professor) said he'd wished we were the first group to give our presentation (there were four groups, total) because we "set the bar". Not that I'm bragging or anything! ;) :lol:
Anyway, that monster of a class is done and I have a few days to just "aaahhhh. . ." Nothing is more blessed than a week without homework!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu May 10, 2007 9:35 pm

Well done Malia I'm sure you'll be relieved when its all over.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri May 11, 2007 10:27 am

Malia wrote:Nothing is more blessed than a week without homework!

Amen!

(well, technically I need to start working on my dissertation pronto, but I'm giving myself a day or two to recover from getting the coursework in. . . but, y'know, you have to do stuff like that, right?)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous