Music recommendations

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:10 am

"The Luckiest" has been ruined for me by a friend who has decided to be one of those obnoxious engaged people who can't manage to talk about anything but her upcoming wedding or her wonderful life with her fiance (as though her ability to exist as a non-bride-to-be died the minute he put the ring on her finger). Ruined, I say, because she has made this "their song" and uses the lyrics rather frequently in various instances. :evil:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:02 am

Ah happy people - grr :evil:

That song was made for weddings, engagements etc.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:57 am

Well, since this is a closed forum now, and we do talk about our music preferences here so often, I thought I'd propose an idea inspired by another forum on which I participate.

CD swap!

It works like this: everyone who wants to participate is put on a list. Once you are on said list, you send a CD of stuff to which you're currently listening to the person on the list below you. That was you get to share your music with other people on the forum. Once you get the CD you've been sent, you post a track list so everyone can see what you've sent/received.

We don't have to go for this (especially given the sharing of personal info, albeit over PM to one individual rather than the whole forum), but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea to mull over.
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:22 am

Excellent idea Credo :P

I've been on forums where they do this regularly and it's a great idea but only for those who wish to be involved.

This will only, and can only be undertaken with the utmost trust and privacy and I will make sure of that fear not.

But in principle yes, I would very much be up for this.

I'm well known among family and friends for making great music compilations, mix-tapes etc. it's one of my little geeky hobbies burning CDs, creating artwork and all that stuff :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:50 am

Oh yeah, I've known people to get really hard core about their mix CDs. I got one from this other forum I'm on in which the sender recorded and mixed his own introductory and concluding tracks. I myself spend a good few hours just arranging the tracks once I've selected what should be on the CD to make sure I've got the best possible "programming" and flow from track to track (a task made all the more difficult when you've got everything from impressionist string quartets to Simon & Garfunkel to Scandinavian and Irish folk music to The Smashing Pumpkins! :lol: ). It's like art, isn't it? :wink:
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:48 am

It most definitely is.

Especially in the old days when you actually had to record stuff onto tape!!

I remember as a teenager spending hours making tapes to listen to on my walkman in school :oops:

We'll see how many are interested and we could maybe do this in the summertime perhaps.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:23 pm

Ah, tapes. Those were the days. :P
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby dks » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:30 am

:oops: I remember (vaguely!) 8 tracks!! :shock: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:56 am

I remember 8-tracks, too, dks! :lol: One of my first memories is of listening to 8-tracks of Barry Manalow and John Denver in our old motorhome. (Oy, how 70's can you get?? ;) )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:18 am

Barry Manilow and John Denver! Omigosh!! Yes...I remember listening to my dad's 8 track of The Four Seasons and Neil Diamond...yeah, 70's gold, baby...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:38 pm

So I ran across Ballads of the Book in a coffee shop in St. Andrews this weekend, and based on your recommendation, Saturn, I picked it up. There are several artists featured on it that I've been wanting to check out (I saw a feature on the Fence Collective on The Culture Show awhile back, and have been interested in hearing some of James Yorkston and King Creosote since then), so that's particularly exciting. Though some of the songs aren't quite my favorite stylistically, some are really fantastic--"If You Love Me You'd Destroy Me" by Aereogramme and Hal Duncan is probably my favorite. And even where I'm not a huge fan of the songs musically, the collaboration with writers and poets is very evident in the lyrics, most of which can stand alone as readable poetry.

Thanks for the rec, Saturn!
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:50 pm

Anyone heard of and/or listen to The Old Crow Medicine Show?
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:So I ran across Ballads of the Book in a coffee shop in St. Andrews this weekend, and based on your recommendation, Saturn, I picked it up. There are several artists featured on it that I've been wanting to check out (I saw a feature on the Fence Collective on The Culture Show awhile back, and have been interested in hearing some of James Yorkston and King Creosote since then), so that's particularly exciting. Though some of the songs aren't quite my favorite stylistically, some are really fantastic--"If You Love Me You'd Destroy Me" by Aereogramme and Hal Duncan is probably my favorite. And even where I'm not a huge fan of the songs musically, the collaboration with writers and poets is very evident in the lyrics, most of which can stand alone as readable poetry.

Thanks for the rec, Saturn!

Wow I'm glad you liked it Credo :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

I am new to this

Postby the_other_evil_twin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:05 am

[b]well I am new to this, so forgive...but I recommend Ben Harper and Jack Johnson. They are both great artists and even have some duets that are great. Jack Johnson was originally a professional surfer (how cool is that) and if you've seen the children's film Curious George, he did the soundtrack to that. Also in the same vein, sort of calming is Amos Lee. His new album, Supply and Demand, is catchy and "deep" for all the poets out there. :!: :o :) :lol: Also, if you are more into hard rock......try out Flogging Molly. They are an Irish rock band that is great. My favorite is "Raise What's Left Of the Flag For Me". If you're into blues or even if you're not, also check out Keb Mo (yes that is his name)- he has some entertaining songs that are true to life.

Check them out![/b]
:)~Keats, huh?~:)
the_other_evil_twin

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:24 am

Hello and welcome the_other_evil_twin. :D

I've heard some Jack Johnson and I'm not that impressed to be honest he's a bit dull :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous