Who are you? Introduce yourself

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:42 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:'bout time we had a Scot here! Welcome Sir Nevis. :)

When I find out that someone I know isn't interested in one of my really big interests, I almost feel it a compulsion to try and convert him/her. . . and it's the best feeling in the world when you actually do!

Oh my goodness, yes, that is me in a nutshell. :lol: I'm currently working on my poor Cousin Beth to watch my DVD of "Brian's Song" with me. She said she'd think about it--I know I can get her to become a Brian Piccolo fan, I just know it! :lol: :twisted: (I call Beth "poor" because she is my "target" and doesn't know what she's getting herself into!)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Sir Nevis wrote:I tend to be rather obsessive, not to mention evangelistic about my passions, both literary and otherwise.

You have my sympathies, Dave. I'd like to not be passionate about something. You'll agree with me that it can be exhausting.

In any case, welcome to the forum! I look forward to your insights. :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:41 am

Malia wrote:I'm currently working on my poor Cousin Beth to watch my DVD of "Brian's Song" with me. She said she'd think about it--I know I can get her to become a Brian Piccolo fan, I just know it! :lol: :twisted:

Tell her it's the kind of movie that makes grown men cry. Maybe that'll pique her interest. :wink:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat May 05, 2007 2:20 pm

Malia wrote:I also like Chopin and Eva Cassidy is great. I have one of Eva Cassidy's CD's and, yes, I would say she comes under the heading of "amazing, yet tragic" considering she died so young and from a cancer that just attacked out of nowhere.

Don't tell me - Songbird?
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Sat May 05, 2007 3:32 pm

Heaven/Hell wrote:
Malia wrote:I also like Chopin and Eva Cassidy is great. I have one of Eva Cassidy's CD's and, yes, I would say she comes under the heading of "amazing, yet tragic" considering she died so young and from a cancer that just attacked out of nowhere.

Don't tell me - Songbird?

Well, yes, how did you guess? ;) :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri May 11, 2007 1:19 pm

It's the Eva Cassidy album most have, so process of deduction (even though as the Enlightenment soberly taught us, deduction is reduction). My powers of intuition aren't what they were. :?
But my fave Eva song (You Take My Breath Away) isn't on that album.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri May 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Is that a cover of that Berlin song?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue May 15, 2007 10:36 am

Haha, the one from Top Gun?
Not quite.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Tue May 15, 2007 3:59 pm

As far as I know, Eva Cassidy sang more soulful, jazzy music. She had a tremendous voice. Sadly, she died in her 30's from cancer. I can't wait til that disease is knocked off the face of the earth! Too many wonderful people have been taken. . .all too soon.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Sir Nevis » Tue May 29, 2007 6:39 pm

too true Malia, too true.

the first Eva Cassidy album I ever heard was 'imagine' (which i listened to in a music store like the cheapskate I am.) Eva not only does more justice to the title track than Lennon ever could, but also performs a staggering rendition of 'Danny Boy' which choked me up back then and has had the same effect every time I've listened to it since.

since we're still on my music tastes, what was it that got you into Chopin (which tunes in particular, or was it from watching the film 'The Pianist'?)
upon my life, Sir Nevis, I am piqued!
Sir Nevis

Postby adonais » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:00 am

jkeats22 wrote:this is my first post and first time on this site but ill start... my name is julie keats. im 20 and like a lot of different things. i came to this site to learn more about my great great great uncle for many reasons, one being im trying to finish my family tree. so far everything is very intresting and fun to learn new things daily. whoever started this site, thank you.

You're kidding??? That's awesome!
Do you have a picture of your family tree that you can show us, if it isn't too personal?

Welcome by the way :D
adonais

Postby Malia » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm

Yes, weclome Julie! :) How wonderful it must be to have such a famous relative in your family tree. Are you a direct decendant of George Keats or Fanny Keats? How long have you been working on your family tree and where do you go to find information? I'd never know where to start--once I get past the relatives my parents remember (which only takes me back to my great-grandparents on my mother's side).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi pale knight! Welcome to our little Keats community :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:31 pm

Welcome both pale_knight and jkeats22.

My apologies as Administrator for my neglect in not welcoming you both sooner.

We are deeply honoured that a descendant of the great man has joined us in our humble little shrine.

I hope you learn by reading the biography and his poems what an extraordinary poet your great forbear truly was.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:12 pm

Welcome SidewalkProphet :D

What took you so long?

:wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous