The 'Currently reading' thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:07 pm

I understand Credo. I'm reading both of those books for class. Saturn, when I have my choice I do read one book at a time.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:27 pm

I keep forgetting not everyone is able to read casually like I do.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:35 pm

Its all good. I should be graduating in May and then, hopefully, I can return to my normal reading habits. I have to start on A Sentimental Journey this weekend. Last book of the semester. Kinda makes me sad. :(
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:44 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I have to start on A Sentimental Journey this weekend. Last book of the semester. Kinda makes me sad. :(

I love the irony of the book title here. :lol:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Hate to intrude on the conversation, but I'm reading Coleridge: Early Visions by Richard Holmes. It's damn good, I'd recommend it whole-heartedly.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Heaven/Hell wrote:Hate to intrude on the conversation, but I'm reading Coleridge: Early Visions by Richard Holmes. It's damn good, I'd recommend it whole-heartedly.

The sequel Dark Visions is excellent too you must read that also :D

Richard Holmes' biographies are always brilliant, his Shelley one in particular is probably the best biography I've ever read.

I think I've read it at least three times.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Sir Nevis » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am

i've just begun reading 'the brothers karamazov' for the first time. the only dostoevsky i had previously read was 'crime and punishment' which i loved, and this one is also shaping up to be thoroughly enjoyable.

although 'the brothers k' is my main read at present, i'm juggling it with a few other books including 'they stand together: the letters of c s lewis to arthur greeves'. it's quite humbling to discover how well lewis could write at 16, and how remarkably well read he was (the two things are always going to be closely connected of course...)
upon my life, Sir Nevis, I am piqued!
Sir Nevis

Postby Malia » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:06 am

I'll bet it is a good read--he's an amazing author. I read Crime and Punishment in two or three days--I was absolutely hooked and couldn't put the book down.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:32 am

Malia wrote:I'll bet it is a good read--he's an amazing author. I read Crime and Punishment in two or three days--I was absolutely hooked and couldn't put the book down.

I've been meaning to read that for years, I've seen various TV adaptations and it seems fascinating.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:18 am

Saturn wrote:The sequel Dark Visions is excellent too you must read that also :D

Richard Holmes' biographies are always brilliant, his Shelley one in particular is probably the best biography I've ever read.

I think I've read it at least three times.

That's two books on my 'to buy' list, thanks for those... Holmes is a superb debunker of myths about the Romantics. Before him, critics would have had you believe Coleridge was a hopeless opium addict spiralling into madness.

Was it true when Shelley's body was found washed up, he had a copy of Keats' works on him?
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 am

Heaven/Hell wrote:
Was it true when Shelley's body was found washed up, he had a copy of Keats' works on him?

That myth is one that is actually true :D

It was a copy of the 1820 volume of poems I think.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:23 pm

Saturn wrote:
Heaven/Hell wrote:

That myth is one that is actually true :D

It was a copy of the 1820 volume of poems I think.

That is correct. It was found bent double back in his pocket as if he'd hasitily thrust it away in his coat--probably he had been reading when the storm arose. The book of Keats's poems was one of the items that helped identify Shelley's body as it was quite decomposed when it was found. Now, I don't think Shelley could have more of a "Romantic" end to his life than that--it's truly something out of a novel or a film, isn't it?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Yes there really needs to be a decent film made about Shelley - his life was so very interesting and controversial.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:14 pm

. . . or decent films about Romantic writers in general.

Why does Hollywood create crap like The Hills Have Eyes 2 when there's such a wealth of great material out there that has yet to make a legitimate appearance on screen?!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:21 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Why does Hollywood create crap like The Hills Have Eyes 2 when there's such a wealth of great material out there that has yet to make a legitimate appearance on screen?!

I've always wondered this: Hollywood either flogs a dead horse (I've hardly ever seen a decent sequel to a film) or regurgitates the classics, forgetting the fact that the reason they were called 'Classic' in the first place is because they were perfect and memorable.

I've heard rumours they are making Jack Kerouac's On The Road which I absolutely adore, but I know they're going to ruin it in some way. It's a deep soul-searching book, something today's consumerist ideals would have trouble finding meaning in.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous