Music recommendations

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:39 pm

Check out Scott Matthews - some say he's the new Nick Drake.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Tue May 01, 2007 4:55 pm

OK, I have decided that Puccini is the most amazing composer ever. (Just had to make that sentiment public, :lol: )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue May 01, 2007 9:19 pm

Okay but I have to disagree :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue May 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Saturn wrote:Okay but I have to disagree :wink:

Disagree now if you must, but someday your eyes (and ears) will be opened, my friend. Someday. . . :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue May 01, 2007 9:57 pm

Nope, I doubt it.

I like Puccini, but to be honest I don't have the paitence, or the will to listen to a lot of Opera, no matter how good.

I'm more of a fan of instrumental and chamber Classical work and old Ludwig Van and Wolfgang cannot be equalled in that field.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue May 01, 2007 10:05 pm

Saturn wrote:Nope, I doubt it.

I like Puccini, but to be honest I don't have the paitence, or the will to listen to a lot of Opera, no matter how good.

I'm more of a fan of instrumental and chamber Classical work and old Ludwig Van and Wolfgang cannot be equalled in that field.

Beethoven is certainly one of my faves--he's tops, especially his piano works. Although I can certainly take an entire opera :) (I've seen Madame Butterfly and La Boheme and they are both excellent) I understand how they can be seen as tedious. One cool thing about opera music on CD is that you can get collections of the arias alone--Puccini's arias are outstanding. That way, you don't have to "sit" through an entire opera.

You know who was great to watch on stage in the Opera--Placido Domingo. He was just *amazing*. I've only seen his work on TV (opera with subtitles is really a helpful thing, let me tell you). I like Placido's commitment to the younger generation in opera, too. He's not as much of a "diva" as, say, Poverotti is.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue May 01, 2007 10:13 pm

My Dad owns loads of collections of arias and stuff like that and of course a lot of those pieces are of course fantastic, but their context and their meaning is somewhat lost when packaged in with a lot of very different arias from other Opera's and composer's work, don't you think?

The language barrier is also off-putting of course as well. I know enough Italian to understand the odd word or phrase but not enough to make out the entire sense of a certain piece.

I guess when I'm old and crotchety I'll investigate all this further.

I'm from Generation X for crying out loud, I'm a kid of the grunge era I'm too much of a rocker - I'm still young enough to be loud and obnoxious!!!!!
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 pm

Saturn wrote:My Dad owns loads of collections of arias and stuff like that and of course a lot of those pieces are of course fantastic, but their context and their meaning is somewhat lost when packaged in with a lot of very different arias from other Opera's and composer's work, don't you think?

The language barrier is also off-putting of course as well. I know enough Italian to understand the odd word or phrase but not enough to make out the entire sense of a certain piece.

I guess when I'm old and crotchety I'll investigate all this further.

I'm from Generation X for crying out loud, I'm a kid of the grunge era I'm too much of a rocker - I'm still young enough to be loud and obnoxious!!!!!

Hey, I'm a Gen X'er too, and I don't have your problems :lol: ;)
As far as arias are concerned, it never mattered to me what context they were in, as long as they *sounded* good. And the language barrier--at least when listening to arias as stand-alone songs--doesn't bother me either. This could be because I listen to a lot of Hawaiian music and some music in other languages, as well. I'm used to enjoying music without understanding what the words mean.

Now, when it comes to music in *English* I get frustrated listening to music where the singers mumble or scream in such a way that ruins their diction and you can't understand what they're saying. I should be *able* to understand English, and when I can't, I find myself wasting a lot of time struggling to understand what's being said. Also, I like songs that tell a good story, so the English-lyric music I gravitate to sort of requires that the singer pronounce his or her words well in order to tell the story effectively.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the welcome

Postby the_other_evil_twin » Thu May 03, 2007 6:21 am

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm glad someone noticed my post. Well Saturn, I'll have to agree somewhat with the "dull" comment. I think a lot of Jack Johnson's music is similar, which definitely requires some of us more acclectic types to mix things up, right? I think that some artists get stuck in a rut and tend not to jump out of it. It can be a good and a bad thing. With all the tools availible today, musicians can change things up significantly from album to album. Then again, in the music business, if something is a hit, then it is recycled over and over, right?. :roll:

Oh well, onto the composer subject. While I can take opera (in moderate doses) I really agree with what everybody's said so far, basically. Mozart and Beethoven were both geniuses, and I don't think ANYONE can deny that. What does everyone think of Vivaldi? He tended to favor strings in my opinion, but I do like the Four Seasons, as cliche as it may sound. 8) I think it has a great differentiation and seperation between all the parts, but Vivaldi still pulled a few themes throughout the piece. Vivaldi, anyone?
:)~Keats, huh?~:)
the_other_evil_twin

Postby Saturn » Thu May 03, 2007 10:36 am

The Fours Seasons is a great work despite its butchery by the advertisement industry :lol:

The problem with that baroque period of music is that apart from the greats like Bach, Handel and Vivaldi much of it was music produced for merely public and religious occasions, music to order so to speak so much of it is forgettable.

It was not until the era of Haydn, Mozart et al that music truly became an art of self-expression by artists.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu May 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Saturn wrote:It was not until the era of Haydn, Mozart et al that music truly became an art of self-expression by artists.

In Keats' words "...when my heart was warmed by divine Mozart".
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Thu May 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Indeed.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu May 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Mozart's amazing to be sure but I will admit, much of his music goes round and round in my head like a 3 year old on a sugar high.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Fri May 11, 2007 10:55 am

Saturn wrote:Nope, I doubt it.

So are you saying that you don't listen to Mozart's operas? Poor Wolferl! That was his favorite genre! :cry: But granted, it is difficult to listen to opera, mainly because opera is meant to be both seen AND heard.

Malia, you should listen to Maurerische Trauermusik ("Masonic Funeral Music") as an example of Mozart's more sobering side. I remember being very surprised by it back in the day when I was of the same opinion that Mozart was an unusually "happy" composer (well, I suppose he was in reality, but few composers really show it in their music the way he does!).

Anyone into contemporary composers here? I recommend John Adams and Arvo Pärt.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sun May 13, 2007 8:05 am

I don't know if you would consider him contemporary or not, he died in 1960, but I'm a fan of Rutland Boughton. Particularly, "From the Welsh Hills."

Credo, have you ever listened to the group "The Old Crow Medicine Show?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like I read you like folk music. If so, I think you may enjoy them.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous