The Worm

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The Worm

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:35 pm

This is a rather short one, though I feel it captures its sentiments quite explicitly.

"Tis better to have loved and to have lost, than never to have loved at all" - William Shakespeare

As I look upon the clock which wiles away the hours,
It reminds me of the worm which eats away at the flowers;
And it feels like our bond is for the moment broken
But a piece of you will remain in my soul as a token;
Tho' sometimes this token is like the worm, consuming and feeding,
And makes my heart hardly feel as if it is breathing -
So each day in absence can eat away at my being
Lest your sublimity was never worth my seeing;
Thoughts of you shall summon my heart from its bowers,
As I look upon the clock to wile away the hours.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:26 pm

I like the framework here of the hours and the clock. The poem has a nice circular feel to it, much like a clock, and that is interesting. I also like how you've tied your images, the heart, the worm, and the clock together and that at any one time, they can represent the other. This reminds me, in a way, of Blake's "The Sick Rose."

Was it Shakespeare that said that? I've found the quote attributed to Samuel Butler and even St. Augustine, but the only place I've ever found it written was in Tennyson's In Memoriam A.H.H.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Very good H&H.

I know those feelings you describe all too well. Very nicely put.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:45 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I like the framework here of the hours and the clock. The poem has a nice circular feel to it, much like a clock, and that is interesting. I also like how you've tied your images, the heart, the worm, and the clock together and that at any one time, they can represent the other. This reminds me, in a way, of Blake's "The Sick Rose."

Was it Shakespeare that said that? I've found the quote attributed to Samuel Butler and even St. Augustine, but the only place I've ever found it written was in Tennyson's In Memoriam A.H.H.

Now that's a surprise to me. That quote has always been classically attributed to Shakespeare, and it's definitely like him to write it. But I stand corrected, forgive the linear workings of my conscious brain.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:11 pm

Nothing to forgive. Shakespeare may have wrote it first, he had so many great quotes, but I always thought it was Tennyson. I may have to do some more hunting on that one. :D
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Kind of you to be so gracious of my error, but I believe you may be right. :oops:
I had always thought of that quote as typically Shakespearean, and when discussing recently with a friend quotes of his that had found themselves in modern parlance, and thus the enduring influence of the great Bard, that one came up.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby dks » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:51 pm

Ah, I like this, H&H! It's reminiscent of Andrew Marvel...it is not easy to create a sound, reverberating metaphor about a worm or spider or any other intricate, organic, cyclically existing creature and successfully align it with human feeling. You do just that here--and very well. I like the rhyme, too--it adds that feeling of yore while keeping a certain modernity about it.

This is great:

As I look upon the clock which wiles away the hours,
It reminds me of the worm which eats away at the flowers;
And it feels like our bond is for the moment broken

and this...

Tho' sometimes this token is like the worm, consuming and feeding,
And makes my heart hardly feel as if it is breathing -
So each day in absence can eat away at my being

Good show!!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:36 pm

Heaven/Hell wrote:Kind of you to be so gracious of my error, but I believe you may be right. :oops:
I had always thought of that quote as typically Shakespearean, and when discussing recently with a friend quotes of his that had found themselves in modern parlance, and thus the enduring influence of the great Bard, that one came up.

I'm seldom, if ever, right, so I thought I would re-check the quote. :lol: I actually had this great little handout from class that had all the really well-known quotes from Shakespeare but I can't find it. I have it, I just don't know where it is that I can lay hands on it. Such is my life. *wry smile*
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:24 pm

Thanks very much, dks. I actually wrote this while I was drawing a bath, I took a look at the clock and it just came to me in that moment like an epiphany.
You know the French poet Arthur Rimbaud once wrote in a letter, "I am a poet, no, a seer....it is wrong to say 'I think', what would be more accurate is to say, 'I am thought'".
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:43 pm

My poems usually come to me when I'm trying to get to sleep and thinking too much.

I have my notebook and pens and dictionaries and all that stuff right beside the bed and just need to to turn on the lamp and start scribbling.

I used to walk a lot when I started writing poetry at University and I came up with my poems while I was walking, just kept them in my head until I got home and then wrote them down.

Sometimes I just decide to start typing when I'm on this site, I just suddenly get the urge to write something and post it straight away.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Saturn wrote:My poems usually come to me when I'm trying to get to sleep and thinking too much.

Don't know why, but sleep deprivation is a superb harbourer of creativity. Van Gogh slept only 3 hours a day on average when he painted his finest works - but then he was a bit nutty. I've been recently looking into how much sleep we actually need, as some sleep experts believe 7 or 8 hours is too much for some. When I get more sleep, I feel more tired.

I get a lot of inspiration walking to my friends' house at night, it's very ethereal and other-wordly on the way, especially with the moon and stars out glittering and the canopies of trees by the roadside.
Ian Astbury (The Cult) used to only be able to write songs on a full moon. He has a deep interest in spiritual matters too.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Everyone has their own moments of inspiration.

I find that when I'm very emotional I feel a need to express that in verse, an almost physical need to exorcise my emotions in poetry before they're lost and the feeling of that moment is gone forever.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:16 am

Heaven/Hell wrote: Don't know why, but sleep deprivation is a superb harbourer of creativity. Van Gogh slept only 3 hours a day on average when he painted his finest works - but then he was a bit nutty. I've been recently looking into how much sleep we actually need, as some sleep experts believe 7 or 8 hours is too much for some. When I get more sleep, I feel more tired.

I get a lot of inspiration walking to my friends' house at night, it's very ethereal and other-wordly on the way, especially with the moon and stars out glittering and the canopies of trees by the roadside.
Ian Astbury (The Cult) used to only be able to write songs on a full moon. He has a deep interest in spiritual matters too.

I know that when I have a poem stirring around in my brain, I can't sleep until I write it out. But I don't function well without sleep. I'm a 9 hour girl (it varies sometimes) and if I don't get that sleep, I'm not fit to be around. I guess hours per night vary from person to person.

As a side note, I LOVE The Cult. Saw them in Charlotte, North Carolina about 5 or 6 years ago. Great concert.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:06 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I know that when I have a poem stirring around in my brain, I can't sleep until I write it out. But I don't function well without sleep. I'm a 9 hour girl (it varies sometimes) and if I don't get that sleep, I'm not fit to be around. I guess hours per night vary from person to person.

As a side note, I LOVE The Cult. Saw them in Charlotte, North Carolina about 5 or 6 years ago. Great concert.

You and I are so alike in creative spirit it's scary.

The Cult rock this known world. Did you get their album released in 2000, Beyond Good & Evil? They've still got it!!
My favourite song of theirs is "Star". I love all the lyrics to their songs, so inspiring and soul-searching.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Absolutely! My favorite song from that particular album is "Rise." It just gives me chills. I don't know what my overall favorite would be...there are just so many good ones. I am partial to "Wild Hearted Son" and "Rain", but then there is "Love Removal Machine," "Firewoman," and "Sweet Soul Sister"...I don't know if I could pick just one. :lol:

I think you are right, we are a great deal alike. You aren't a Scorpio by any chance are you? :lol:
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Next

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’