Blessed

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Blessed

Postby Heaven/Hell » Wed May 30, 2007 1:37 pm

I'm not in the same league as you guys, but screw it. I've written my own poetry and short stories and philosophical musings for a few months now, and it's taken me time to get my confidence together to post some of it. So here goes:

Had I ever been blessed by angels fair
When I found myself in the sights of your loving stare;
Could it be written in the stars above
That I am the suitor to your heart's love?

If this very bond that Destiny had decided,
Had it affirmed in my heart when I confided,
Then let my affection course in my blood always
And let your name forever on it stay.

Then we will soar, high above the rainbow
And the ethereal twilight of the star glow;
We will find ourselves in that place divine,
Where I melt into your arms and you melt into mine.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Wed May 30, 2007 2:02 pm

Lovely mate, very romantic.

By the way there is no league here, no competition - everybody's work is equally valuable and worthy of posting and I mean that I want to see everyone get involved and be creative - that's why I created this section on the site.

We're all of us amateurs, myself more than anyone.

There's no great secret to writing poetry for me, it's been a long process of trial and error and years of refinement to get to where I am now so stick at it!!!

ANYONE can do it.

As Keats himself said:
“…Poesy alone can tell her dreams,
With the fine spell of words alone can save
Imagination from the sable charm
And dumb enchantment. Who alive can say
‘Thou art no Poet; may’st not tell thy dreams?’
Since every man whose soul is not a clod
Hath visions, and would speak, if he had lov’d
And been well nurtured in his mother tongue.”
‘The Fall of Hyperion: A Dream’ Canto I, 8-15.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed May 30, 2007 2:43 pm

I love your words of encouragement, Saturn. But I'm going to be a skeptic here and say not just *anyone* can write poetry and write it well (the way so many of you who post to this forum can--including you and dks, for sure). I think that, certainly, hard work and practice can enhance anyone's writing skills, but there is that certain "something" that great poets have. . .an in-born inclination to be able to hear the rhythms of life and translate them into the written word. . .there's an intrinsic instinct involved here. I guess it's like any great art--I think of opera singers, for example. You can train and train and train your voice but if it doesn't have that "certain something" inherent in the voice itself, you'd never make it at the Met, you know what I mean? This is coming from a person who, although I have struggled out a few poems myself, is not nor will ever consider herself to be a poet :lol: ! All that said, you are right in that poetry is something we can all write (maybe not professionally, but we can do it) and it could be a neat way to practice seeing things from a new perspective and channelling emotions in a positive, creative way. So, I would absolutely encourage people to write poetry if only as a creative exercise for their own personal enjoyment.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed May 30, 2007 2:49 pm

I didn't mean everyone could write good poetry.

Anyway who decides what is good and bad?

All I've ever tried to do is express myself, that's all...period.

I do harbour ambitions of course but my main aim is self-analysis, self-expression and putting my thoughts and feelings into words.

If people think it's poetry and find it makes them think or feel that's a bonus.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed May 30, 2007 4:43 pm

This is nice indeed. I particularly admire your handling of heroic couplets and iambic pentameter. Your line integrity is very good and has a natural sound to it. I'm especially fond of this stanza:

If this very bond that Destiny had decided,
Had it affirmed in my heart when I confided,
Then let my affection course in my blood always
And let your name forever on it stay.

The last couple of lines in each stanza are exceptionally strong. The whole is very good. I look forward to reading more. :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:53 pm

Thanks Asphodel and all for the compliments...
I was thinking of making it longer, as most of my stuff is generally 4x4 stanzas, either aabb or abab rhyming scheme. Sometimes it doesn't rhyme. That doesn't matter. I don't measure or analyse rhyming scheme or syllables, that would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to achieve or convey.
It's great when you get "inspired" and just start jotting stuff down that seems to make sense on paper when you review it later. You hold the pen and apply it to paper, but the dictation of what you're writing or the creative part is unconscious, which is why meditation often helps the creative process.
When you read your own stuff back it's like looking into your own soul.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:40 pm

Were you planning on making the existing stanzas longer or adding more stanzas? I think either one would work, though, the former maybe a bit more difficult. Looking forward to it, either way. :)
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:20 pm

Maybe adding one more stanza, in between stanzas II and III. Funnily enough this poem just came to me while I was relaxing one night listening to Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah - I usually get inspired while listening to music. I always have a pen and paper close to hand to immortalise the inspiration within.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:30 pm

I find music to be inspirational too, not just when I'm writing poetry, but with other stories as well. Most of my poetry comes to me when I'm driving for some reason. I keep a pad and pen in my car and steer with my knees when lightning strikes. :wink:
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:47 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I find music to be inspirational too, not just when I'm writing poetry, but with other stories as well. Most of my poetry comes to me when I'm driving for some reason. I keep a pad and pen in my car and steer with my knees when lightning strikes. :wink:

Ha, ha, I can definitely relate to that. I can also relate to jumping out of the bath like Archimedes when an idea 'comes', or suddenly waking up and writing something out. I keep a pen and paper on me or near me most of the day.
It's like in Zen, where your mind is dormant but active, asleep but awake kind of thing so you can feel the holiness within. As Blake has noted, "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man is it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:23 pm

I'm the same way. :D Its almost like what mutes did, carry a pad and pen around their necks. :lol: I carry mine in my pocket or use scraps of paper, whatever is handy. Its not unheard of for me to scribble stuff on napkins, receipts, etc.

Blake was on to something. Well, Blake was onto a lot of things. How much of our brain do we actually use? Is it 10 percent? More? Less? It kind of makes you wonder what would happen if we used all of it.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:39 pm

The brain to me is rather scientific, finite, linear, bound in a preordained framework. Now the Imagination - that's where it's at. Blake knew it (he called it 'Jesus the Imagination' as he thought it was divine - "Thus all men forgot all deities reside in the human breast"), Keats knew it, Shelley knew it, Wordsworth, Milton and Shakespeare and Dante and the Ancient Greek writers knew it.
We as poets and appreciators of natural beauty are beginning to realise it. There is infinite beauty and inspiration within, which 'flowery binds' (Keats' Endymion) us to the world outside.
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’