To The Heart: A Soliloquy

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:15 pm

This poem is dedicated to the loving memory of Tommy Joe Nadeau, August 2, 1968 – May 25, 2007.

Oh, you’re still there.
I thought you had gone long ago
to better, healthier, sunnier places.
What makes you stay in this darkness?
Are you pinned to my melancholy,
as sure as I am bound
to return to the origin
of the fire which burned you?
What have I put you through
with all my pretending?
Though he looked at me
as if I was a miracle,
he’ll only know me
through your stories
and his songs.
I would take him,
absorb him through my skin
to keep you company
in that black place.
He could liberate you
if he would.
As sure as you could
free yourself if you willed.
It is that once
that never comes again.
The only thing I know
like the gold of the afternoon that
fades to the blue of the evening.
I see a tide,
not the fresh, sharp pain of anguish
but the old, bone-deep ache of sadness
held so close that it is
mistrusting of happiness.
We’re here alone
in this place, like the
monstrous beauty of the ocean.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:29 pm

I don't know what this is about and I'm sure its very deep and personal but I love it - it made me cry :(

A fitting tribute to your friend I'm sure
:(

Wherever he is in whatever form of existence I'm sure he appreciates it.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:35 am

Please don't cry.

Perhaps now I'm being too obscure. :wink: The title is the key to it all. Its someone speaking to their personified heart. Its not actually about my friend, its just dedicated to him. Did that help at all?

By the way, love the new avatar. I'm a big House and Hugh Laurie fan, so... :D
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:02 am

I think I am House I've been talking like him for years he's my hero - I'm not nearly so heartlessly sarcastic though :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:10 pm

I like this a lot - shades of Emily Dickinson. It's a fitting tribute to the overwhelming beauty and ensuing sadness of the world.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Thank you! Dickinson is high praise indeed especially for something I haven't really edited. I'm afraid you all get my "raw" offerings. Most of them need to be cooked a bit more. Though, sometimes I am at a loss on how to "cook" them. Please, feel free, if you see something that could be better worded or a line that could use tightening, to let me know. I'm not hardcore Dr. Johnson, poetry as product, but I'm not totally Romantic poetry as process either, though, if I had to choose it would be process.

Thanks again! :D

I think I am House I've been talking like him for years he's my hero - I'm not nearly so heartlessly sarcastic though :wink:

We're all Saturn fans here too. :wink:
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:13 am

Saturn wrote:I think I am House I've been talking like him for years he's my hero - I'm not nearly so heartlessly sarcastic though :wink:

But, just so we're clear, you're not doin' the vicodin, right? ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:15 am

AsphodelElysium wrote:Thank you! Dickinson is high praise indeed especially for something I haven't really edited. I'm afraid you all get my "raw" offerings. Most of them need to be cooked a bit more. Though, sometimes I am at a loss on how to "cook" them. Please, feel free, if you see something that could be better worded or a line that could use tightening, to let me know. I'm not hardcore Dr. Johnson, poetry as product, but I'm not totally Romantic poetry as process either, though, if I had to choose it would be process.

Thanks again! :D

We're all Saturn fans here too. :wink:

I know I never post to this section of the forum-- :oops: but I just want to step in and tell you all that you're great writers of poetry. . .'tis truly a gift--and one that is hard won with hard work, I'm sure! I'm not a poetry writer at all and I envy (in a *good* way) the way you all can touch on deeper themes with such grace and elloquence.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:29 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:I'm afraid you all get my "raw" offerings. Most of them need to be cooked a bit more. Though, sometimes I am at a loss on how to "cook" them. Please, feel free, if you see something that could be better worded or a line that could use tightening, to let me know. I'm not hardcore Dr. Johnson, poetry as product, but I'm not totally Romantic poetry as process either, though, if I had to choose it would be process.

The sign of true genius is the humbleness that comes with it. I don't neccessarily believe in editing poetry extensively and being perfectionist about it - if it comes from the heart, that's the only edition I need to appreciate it in its fullness. I would say your philosophy is derived from the Oscar Wilde "art for art's sake" appreciation for aesthetic beauty, which is also what I think defined Emily Dickinson as a poet.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:11 pm

Malia wrote:
Saturn wrote:I think I am House I've been talking like him for years he's my hero - I'm not nearly so heartlessly sarcastic though :wink:

But, just so we're clear, you're not doin' the vicodin, right? ;)

Well I do take anti-depressants but I'm not addictede to them and don't pop them like M&M's like House does :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: To The Heart: A Soliloquy

Postby dks » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:44 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:This poem is dedicated to the loving memory of Tommy Joe Nadeau, August 2, 1968 – May 25, 2007.

AE, you've such a distinctive style that it would be near impossible for me not to recognize one your poems on here if your name were not attached. Have you ever heard the song by Katie Melua, "I Cried for You"? In it she says, "beauty need only be a whisper." That is an apt description of your poetry--it whispers beauty in surprising instances and with such a nuance, that it soothes its way into memory and stays with the reader.

Here are some of my favorite lines:

I would take him,
absorb him through my skin
to keep you company
in that black place.

It is that once
that never comes again.
The only thing I know
like the gold of the afternoon that
fades to the blue of the evening.

I see a tide,
not the fresh, sharp pain of anguish
but the old, bone-deep ache of sadness
held so close that it is
mistrusting of happiness.
We’re here alone
in this place, like the
monstrous beauty of the ocean.

Just gorgeous...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:17 pm

Well, I'm behind in replying it seems. :lol:

Malia, thank you for my part. And you should try writing some stuff down. I bet it is better than you think!

H/H, I do believe that sincere poetry is the best kind, but the perfectionist (you nailed that one on the head) in me and the student (who is used to having everything workshopped) can't help but wanting to edit. Its not that it isn't sincere and heartfelt, I just want give it as much clarity as possible. This tendency in me has been resented and I just try to put it out there that its okay to offer me suggestions. I don't take them personally, particularly, if its going to make my poem clearer. Now, I do hesitate to say anything to anyone else (the resentment thing) but if its okay/not okay I like to know. Then again, this is a forum and not a workshop and my "urge" maybe more misplaced than I am aware of. Anyway, I'm rambling. Wilde had an excellent point, but I would modify it slightly. Art for our sake, as it is the only thing that makes life worth living.

Denise! We've missed you! As always, you give me too much credit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, your praise has more poetry in than any of my offerings. :wink: I don't believe I've ever heard that song but I will have to look it up. When can we look forward to your next poem? Soon I hope. You've been gone too long. :(
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby dks » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:20 am

AsphodelElysium wrote:When can we look forward to your next poem? Soon I hope. You've been gone too long. :(

Ah, you're too nice to me, sista. :wink:

I've one forthcoming...it's still brewing, steeping...my muse has been bastardly elusive lately. :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:19 am

We'll have to crack a whip over her. :lol: I'm looking forward to the next poem.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:24 am

Me too :D :D :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’