A Walk in Summer Evening

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A Walk in Summer Evening

Postby dks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:25 am

*sigh* finally--just finished it today.

A Walk in Summer Evening

June amber moon blinks awake
Under a thunderhead marquee.

I walk surefooted, tense,
And kill what’s left
Of a box elder leaf.

Swollen fingers at my side
Strain the wind for relief;
Feel the purling heat of day
Weep into a pitchy spread—
The navy increase of night.
Drowsy iris buds drawn tight;
Cicadas out of bed—

Mars is blood red next to Canis Minor—
I’m blighted by a lovely contagion.
What’s behind the wooded stage?
I hunger to walk off this oily page,
Observe in a fever.

The road of the gods is nearer to home.
Babylonian stars, milky thrones,
Orion’s belt shimmers with the dust of poets’ bones.

A porch light winks,
Rousing a greedy breath, a hiccup, an itch.
A thirsty house cricket screams;
My head throbs and cuts loose its lumbering dreams.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:13 am

*Weeps in futile jealousy* I would've loved to have written this!!!! I love how you've taken something as commonplace as a walk on a summer evening and turned it into beauteous poetic masterpiece. There are so many good lines and I love your personification. This,

would make Shakespeare green. The "s" and "b" sounds you have also add to the summery atmosphere of the poem. This was well worth waiting for. :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:54 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:*Weeps in futile jealousy*

Me too.

You have a feel for nature and the elements Denise that I can't even fake I'm a city boy in the 'city pent' and know nothing of nature.

there are so many choice phrases and delicate metaphors I don't even know where to begin.

As usual you have flabbergasted me Denise :shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:59 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:*Weeps in futile jealousy* I would've loved to have written this!!!! I love how you've taken something as commonplace as a walk on a summer evening and turned it into beauteous poetic masterpiece. There are so many good lines and I love your personification. This,

would make Shakespeare green. The "s" and "b" sounds you have also add to the summery atmosphere of the poem. This was well worth waiting for. :D

AE...you're way way way too kind... :oops: :oops:

Thank you humbly...but, Shakespeare green? C'mon, now...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:00 pm

Saturn wrote:
AsphodelElysium wrote:*Weeps in futile jealousy*

Me too.

You have a feel for nature and the elements Denise that I can't even fake I'm a city boy in the 'city pent' and know nothing of nature.

there are so many choice phrases and delicate metaphors I don't even know where to begin.

As usual you have flabbergasted me Denise :shock:

Thank you, Saturn...too nice...too nice...you are.

Honestly, I'd had a couple of images in my head for weeks--the rest of it is partially based on a dream I had.
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Dreams have been a real source of inspiration for me rrecently. I've had some very vivid and some deeply disturbing dreams this past few weeks :?

I wish I knew what they meant.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:32 pm

Saturn wrote:Dreams have been a real source of inspiration for me rrecently. I've had some very vivid and some deeply disturbing dreams this past few weeks :?

I wish I knew what they meant.

"Dreams are the seed in this garden of Life" - Me

I enjoyed this poem a lot. It takes one back to the soul-searching introspective walks of Wordsworth in Lyrical Ballads, or even Arthur Rimbaud, the French Symbolist poet.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Hey Saturn, I interpret dreams as a hobby--my friends and family say I do a *very* good job, too :) But there is a "trick" to it and if you're interested I could share the technique. Frankly, it's a lot like interpreting literature, but it relies a little bit more on intuition. One thing that helps, over the long haul, is to write your dreams down as soon as you can. At least that helps in a person's being able to remember subsequent dreams even more vividly. Kind of like excercises to "pump up" your dreaming "muscles" ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:20 pm

Within about two minutes of waking they're gone :?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:21 pm

Saturn wrote:Within about two minutes of waking they're gone :?

That's why you keep a tape recorder or pen and paper at your bedside so that you can record as much as possible, as soon as possible. After a while (even as little as a few weeks) you will be able to remember your dreams for longer periods of time and in greater detail. I remember back when I was in High School and I spent my summers at home (didn't have a summer job or a driver's license), I started writing down all my dreams and before long I was dreaming in extreme detail--some dreams took up four or 5 sheets of notebook paper to relate. And ever since then, I've been able to remember my dreams (at least the ones I felt were important enough to remember) very well.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Is there any real benefit to remembering or interpreting dreams?

Dreams are like poems I find - creations of a fevered imagination.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:06 pm

I guess the benefit depends on the person. I find great benefit in analyzing my dreams--often, I find it as a way to connect with my subconscious and see things in a new way--but I'm the kind of person who, #1 loves to analyze and #2 loves a good story. Dreams provide me the opportunity to analyze and a great story :) Not all dreams are significant. I've found that those that ressonate in your "gut"--the dreams you just can't seem to get out of your head--those are the ones that mean something and are a way that one part of your mind/spirit is trying to talk to another part. Anyway, people can call it hooey if they want and that's fine, but it works for me. I just want to emphasize that dream symbols do not always mean the same thing for the same person. That is to say, if I dream about a snail and you dream about a snail--and we're both very emotionally moved by that snail--it could be for two totally different, yet mutually important, reasons. I can't stand dream analysis that says, "a fork always means. . ." or whatever. Dream analysis is very individual, in my opinion.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:16 pm

Yet you are sceptical of horoscopes? :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:17 am

Saturn wrote:Yet you are sceptical of horoscopes? :wink:

I'm not skeptical of astrology, per se, but *daily* horoscopes as they appear in the newspaper and magazines, yes, I'm skeptical of those. They're kind of like the fortune cookie variety--just add "in bed" to the end of each one :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:14 am

Malia wrote:I guess the benefit depends on the person. I find great benefit in analyzing my dreams--often, I find it as a way to connect with my subconscious and see things in a new way--but I'm the kind of person who, #1 loves to analyze and #2 loves a good story. Dreams provide me the opportunity to analyze and a great story :) Not all dreams are significant. I've found that those that ressonate in your "gut"--the dreams you just can't seem to get out of your head--those are the ones that mean something and are a way that one part of your mind/spirit is trying to talk to another part. Anyway, people can call it hooey if they want and that's fine, but it works for me. I just want to emphasize that dream symbols do not always mean the same thing for the same person. That is to say, if I dream about a snail and you dream about a snail--and we're both very emotionally moved by that snail--it could be for two totally different, yet mutually important, reasons. I can't stand dream analysis that says, "a fork always means. . ." or whatever. Dream analysis is very individual, in my opinion.

I have to agree, Malia. There are so many factors that go into individual dream interpretation that one symbol can't be the same for each person. Do you really enjoy doing interpretations? I dream about my dead Grandmother at least once a week and I have a weird sex dream about one or several of my professors at least once at week also. I'd love to know what those mean as the dreams occur so frequently and generally much to my chagrin.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Next

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’