The Worm

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:13 am

Although I think most daily horoscopes could really apply to anyone--because they are so general in nature and you can interpret them in whatever way you fancy--I do think there is something to star signs. They kind of remind me of personality profiles. For the most part, the folks I know "fit" the personality traits of their respective star signs fairly well and I believe there must be some "physical/psychic connection to the universe" involved regarding the season in which you are born. I do not know all the details about horoscopes, such as rising suns and setting suns and houses, etc. but the basics I know about are interesting. I'm a Libra and so are several of my friends--you know *why* there are so many Libras out there, don't you? Just count back 9 months and you can figure out what people were doing to keep warm in the winter :wink:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
User avatar
Malia
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Washington State, USA

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:50 am

Hmm, two Libras, and both are mediators on the forum. Coinwinkydink, I think not. :wink:
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
User avatar
AsphodelElysium
Calidore
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 am
Location: Virginia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:38 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:To answer your question, its a mixed bag. Sometimes Scorps and Sags get along okay and sometimes they don't. Its an elemental thing really, Scorps are water signs, Sags, fire. The two signs share a propensity for revolutionary thought and a love for freedom and travel, but Scorps are more possessive, more demanding, tend toward darker moods. Sags are much more optimistic, and where Scorps keep a close, tight-knit group around them (familiarity being important), Sags are much more social and have a larger circle of aquaintances. Sags are also extremely honest and while Scorps admire a straightshooter, it sometimes wounds the pride and that in itself causes problems because the Scorp won't always say so, they brood over it and make it worse. Water signs in general are more emotional than most and Sags tend more toward the intellectual.

Are you on the cusp at all? I mean, what is the exact day? My sun is currently running through Sagittarius, so I think that helps some. :)

Blake was a Sagittarian also. :wink:

Keats was a Scorpio though.

Anyway, my apologies for writing you a case study. My pet interests get away from me sometimes and I talk on and on and on. If you want to know more you can pm me or something that way I'm not cluttering up the forum with my pseudo-astro bullsh*t.

I love "Lil' Devil," "Wild Flower," and "In the Clouds." Just too many good songs to choose from.


If Scorpio is water and Sagittarius represents fire, then according to Eastern Mysticism, the two should complement each other in that they contrast with each other, as in the concept of the Yin/Yang of two opposing mutuals breathing life into each other. Blake wrote extensively on "the principle of two opposites combining", as in The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell.
In his critique of Swedenborg, he originally wrote "Good is Heaven, Evil is Hell, and the two exist in concert." But later, Swedenborg discarded this thought and wrote "Good is All". An indignant Blake wrote "Lies and Priestcraft! Cursed Folly!"
Anyways, sorry to veer from what you were talking about, astral movements/star signs do interest me somewhat.

And I think we're forgetting "Heart Of Soul" and "Edie (Ciao Baby)". ;)
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:51 am

Heaven/Hell wrote:If Scorpio is water and Sagittarius represents fire, then according to Eastern Mysticism, the two should complement each other in that they contrast with each other, as in the concept of the Yin/Yang of two opposing mutuals breathing life into each other. Blake wrote extensively on "the principle of two opposites combining", as in The Marriage Of Heaven And Hell.
In his critique of Swedenborg, he originally wrote "Good is Heaven, Evil is Hell, and the two exist in concert." But later, Swedenborg discarded this thought and wrote "Good is All". An indignant Blake wrote "Lies and Priestcraft! Cursed Folly!"
Anyways, sorry to veer from what you were talking about, astral movements/star signs do interest me somewhat.

And I think we're forgetting "Heart Of Soul" and "Edie (Ciao Baby)". ;)


We can't forget "Coming Down" either. :)

Eh, I think the astrology discussion was tapering off anyway. But, I was always under the impression that what Blake was driving at, and I'm thinking specifically about "The Proverbs of Hell," was that the combination of opposites was not necessarily a positive and not necessarily something to be desired.

I like to think of balances, and yes, those can be a positive, but you can't have that at the expense of understanding and acceptance. I think it is harder for opposites to find that but then again its probably more precious for that reason. Anyway, I'm rambling again. There's a reason for the old adage, "birds of a feather," but there's also reason for "opposites attract." It maybe really a matter of the individual. What do you think?
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
User avatar
AsphodelElysium
Calidore
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 am
Location: Virginia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:39 pm

AsphodelElysium wrote:We can't forget "Coming Down" either. :)

Eh, I think the astrology discussion was tapering off anyway. But, I was always under the impression that what Blake was driving at, and I'm thinking specifically about "The Proverbs of Hell," was that the combination of opposites was not necessarily a positive and not necessarily something to be desired.

I like to think of balances, and yes, those can be a positive, but you can't have that at the expense of understanding and acceptance. I think it is harder for opposites to find that but then again its probably more precious for that reason. Anyway, I'm rambling again. There's a reason for the old adage, "birds of a feather," but there's also reason for "opposites attract." It maybe really a matter of the individual. What do you think?


No one mentioned "The Witch" or "The Saint" either, but hey, I'm not complaining. :P

If you read into the writings of Jakob Boehme (just hit a quick search on him), whom Blake referred to as a "divinely inspired man" then you will learn more of what I'm talking about. Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote extensively on this side of mysticism and how it relates to poetry. It's kind of intricate, there are a lot of sides to the basic philosophy (as in "Two sides to every story" :wink:) but I will tell you what I've been led to learn, what I've been able to intuit.

Poetry is kind of drawn from man's spiritual side and formalised into the material, the visible out of the invisible. Do you see how this relates to Creation itself? This in fact is what makes man holy, his ability to combine the two contrasts and make them into new life (or Art - Blake once said "Art is Christianity"). Man and woman, two contrasts, also combine to make new life. The combination of opposites is always desirable - if everything were linear and without its contrast, life would end and the world would stop spinning (it spins on two axies).

In the good and evil contrast note the title of The Cult's last album - Beyond Good And Evil.
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby Saturn » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Perhaps you'd like to have a separate Cult forum dudes?

Carry this over to the miscellaneous section if you like :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3940
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:16 am

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:04 am

Heaven/Hell wrote:No one mentioned "The Witch" or "The Saint" either, but hey, I'm not complaining. :P

If you read into the writings of Jakob Boehme (just hit a quick search on him), whom Blake referred to as a "divinely inspired man" then you will learn more of what I'm talking about. Samuel Taylor Coleridge wrote extensively on this side of mysticism and how it relates to poetry. It's kind of intricate, there are a lot of sides to the basic philosophy (as in "Two sides to every story" :wink:) but I will tell you what I've been led to learn, what I've been able to intuit.

Poetry is kind of drawn from man's spiritual side and formalised into the material, the visible out of the invisible. Do you see how this relates to Creation itself? This in fact is what makes man holy, his ability to combine the two contrasts and make them into new life (or Art - Blake once said "Art is Christianity"). Man and woman, two contrasts, also combine to make new life. The combination of opposites is always desirable - if everything were linear and without its contrast, life would end and the world would stop spinning (it spins on two axies).

In the good and evil contrast note the title of The Cult's last album - Beyond Good And Evil.


I actually had "The Saint" stuck in my head. I did a check on Boehme, interesting man.

To be totally honest with you, I feel like my concepts of poetry, of art, and even good and evil shift daily. It really is something I need to sit down and write out and decide exactly what I think and what I don't. That may sound strange but I don't like to not know exactly what I think about something. Then again, since graduation I've felt a need to deal with "the effects of education" anyway.

Maybe we should start a new thread since we've gotten off the subject of your poem, though, spirituality is as much poetry as poetry is spirituality.

Catch you over in miscellaneous.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
User avatar
AsphodelElysium
Calidore
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 am
Location: Virginia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:07 am

Saturn wrote:Perhaps you'd like to have a separate Cult forum dudes?

Carry this over to the miscellaneous section if you like :wink:


A Cult forum wouldn't be so bad. :D

My apologies, Saturn. I think the flow of conversation gets the better of all of us sometimes.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
User avatar
AsphodelElysium
Calidore
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:58 am
Location: Virginia

Previous

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests