The currently viewing thread...

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby AsphodelElysium » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:03 am

I don't think I could pick my ten favs (I have so many), but I'll give it a go. In no particular order.

Casablanca
Gone with the Wind
Interview with the Vampire (I know this doesn't technically count as it was a book first as was Gone with the Wind)
Clash of the Titans
Fantasia (Yes, I love Disney)
Pride and Prejudice (BBC)
Lord of the Rings Trilogy (particularly The Two Towers)
Pirates of the Caribbean
V for Vendetta
The Last Unicorn (Don't laugh)
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Sir Nevis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:00 pm

my top ten films (again in no particular order)

the pianist
jesus of nazareth
million dollar baby
rob roy
goodwill hunting
the lord of the rings (despite the numerous sins against Tolkien's original)
Polanski's oliver twist
the bbc chronicles of narnia (wipes the floor with the hollywood travesty)
Dances with Wolves
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (partly for nostalgic reasons, but it's also a classic of its kind)

edit: i forgot about the bbc's version of 'shadowlands', starring joss ackland and claire bloom. once again, it's infinitely superior to the big screen version (anthony hopkins may be a fine actor, but his portrayal of c s lewis was shocking :x.) don't know which of my top ten it should replace though...
upon my life, Sir Nevis, I am piqued!
Sir Nevis

Postby Sir Nevis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:14 pm

and going back to the original topic, i recently watched the bbc's version of 'bleak house' and was sorely disappointed. this is what i posted on another forum in my first transports of woe:

so i finally got the BBC's 'bleak house' out on DVD (but only from the library thank heavens, so i didn't squander my money) and i have to ask...

WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?

Jarndyce is changed out of all recognition and is a pale shadow of the book's magnanimous father figure. I found it impossible to feel any warmth or affection for him and evidently his wards (and even Esther, at least in any meaningful way) had the same trouble, so the whole dynamic of the central relationships was changed. Esther is far from the 'dear dame durden' that dickens wrote of, and she is no more the confidante of richard and ada than Jarndyce is. ada was no longer esther's 'pet' or 'darling' (which again was a really touching notion in the book) and for that reason alone i'm glad they omitted her illness (which should have preceded Esther's) because the event would have lacked all emotional resonance.

why oh why do these scriptwriters/producers etc. insist on making 'adaptaions' of novels that miss the whole point? First Peter Jackson, then Andrew Adamson, and now even old 'auntie'!

No doubt the makers of 'Bleak House' shared Bernard Shaw's view that the real Esther was an 'insufferable prig' and thought that John Jarndyce was impossibly and unrealistically good. i deny the charge, but leaving realism aside, they have failed even on an artistic level. The goodness and virtue of the hero (for i suppose we can call jarndyce that) and heroine are meant to stand in sharp relief against the desolation, mercilessness and indeed bleakness of the chancery suit. i don't mind tweaking, or even cutting if it's essential for brevity, but don't these people understand that dickens was a master storyteller and knew how to paint the characters that populate his novels?

i also find myself asking what happened to the Bagnets, to Chadband (apart from his one fleeting appearance), to Mr Bucket's forefinger (apart from its one fleeting appearance) and to the refrain of 'there are certain chords in the human heart...' More should also have been made of Telescopic Philanthropy and Borrioboola Gha because once again, behind the ludicrousness is a very serious attack on hypocrisy and 'doing good works before men'. I should also have liked to have seen more of Peepy and a much better developed Caddy.

All this, as important as it is in itself, fades into insignificance in comparison to the distortion of the main characters however. i simply can't understand how such a colossal mistake could have been made and, as with LWW all i can say is i'm so relieved that I still have the book to go back to for consolation.

the wind,as far as this production is concerned, is most definitely in the east.
Sir Nevis

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:39 pm

Sir Nevis wrote:edit: i forgot about the bbc's version of 'shadowlands', starring joss ackland and claire bloom. once again, it's infinitely superior to the big screen version (anthony hopkins may be a fine actor, but his portrayal of c s lewis was shocking :x.) don't know which of my top ten it should replace though...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Very harsh :twisted: :(

I thought it was possibly Hopkins' greatest ever performance, then I am a huge fan of his.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:51 pm

I also particularly enjoyed Hopkins's performance in that movie. I weep everytime I see it. :(
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:14 pm

Me too, its a very powerful film.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:16 pm

Saturn wrote:El Cid

I've been to the castle in Spain where they shot some of that movie. :wink:

Yeah, I know it drifted a bit off-topic, but I want to post my list! The top half of this is pretty consistent, but the ones on the bottom rotate somewhat.

Amadeus
Moulin Rouge!
Contact
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Lord of the Rings (Tolkien considered it one book, so I consider it one movie)
Pride and Prejudice (BBC)
The Sandlot
The Elephant Man
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

I finally got to see The Queen the other day. Quite good, but not as brilliant as I'd built it up to be in my mind. I guess that's the way it always is, though. I always seem the most impressed with movies into which I go with no (or few) prior expectations. Pretty much all of the ones on my list here were like that. I also see that Asphodel has V for Vendetta on her list, with which I had a very similar experience; I was expecting a lot of bloody violence just for the sake of bloody violence, but was very impressed to find an intelligent, thoughtful, and poignant story.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:41 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:Contact

Yes! yes! yes! love that movie :D

I hate making lists like this, mine change all the time so narrowing it down to ten was a stretch - if we were talking 50 maybe I could have included all my favourites. Same with music, I have no 'favourite' song or album, or whatever I would have a list of about 100 favourite songs :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:57 pm

It seems like people either love or hate Contact. . . and it makes me very, very sad when people hate it, because it's such a brilliant story with a very poignant message for our time. :cry:

Have you read the book, Saturn?
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:11 pm

I didn't even know it was based on a book :shock:

I shall have to find that, thanks Credo :P
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Sir Nevis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:38 pm

Saturn wrote:
Sir Nevis wrote:edit: i forgot about the bbc's version of 'shadowlands', starring joss ackland and claire bloom. once again, it's infinitely superior to the big screen version (anthony hopkins may be a fine actor, but his portrayal of c s lewis was shocking :x.) don't know which of my top ten it should replace though...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Very harsh :twisted: :(

I thought it was possibly Hopkins' greatest ever performance, then I am a huge fan of his.

as an acting performance in the abstract, i don't have any fault to find with it. like i say, hopkins is very gifted at what he does. it's just that the character he portrayed was nothing like the real c s lewis: hopkins played a shy, retiring old man who was afraid to let anyone challenge him. the real lewis was outgoing and larger than life, with a booming voice you could hear a mile off ( he was the inspiration for treebeard in the lord of the rings) and far from being afraid of a challenege, he used to indulge in regular intellectual sparring with the most brilliant minds in the country (tolkien being one of them.)

lewis' stepson himself has said that debra winger played his mother to a t, but that hopkins' wallflower professor bore no real resemblance to lewis. ackland, on the other hand, does a fine job as 'jack' and was understandably gutted when he was denied the chance to reprise the role in the movie version.
Sir Nevis

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:46 pm

I thought it was Nigel Hawthorne who was gutted to miss out on the film role after he won such great critical acclaim for his role in the stage play :?:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:46 pm

Saturn wrote:I didn't even know it was based on a book :shock:

Oh yeah! By Carl Sagan. It's even more spectacular when you know who wrote it. ;)
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Sir Nevis » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:19 am

Saturn wrote:I thought it was Nigel Hawthorne who was gutted to miss out on the film role after he won such great critical acclaim for his role in the stage play :?:

maybe they were both gutted? :wink:

i distinctly remember joss ackland saying in an interview that he wanted to pay lewis again and was heartbroken when the role was given to hopkins instead. that hawthorne felt the same way doesn't surprise me though, because it's such a moving story, and a gift of a part for any actor, you'd think.
Sir Nevis

Postby Brave Archer » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:34 am

In no order

Shawshank Redemption

Infernal Affairs

Harlem Nights-- Eddie Murphys best (in my opinion)

I'm Gonna Git U Sucka-- Funniest exploitation of exploitations ever

Fight Club

Back to the Future-- childhood favorite and I love Michael J. Fox

Unforgiven

Tombstone

Do The Right Thing

Lean on Me

Malcolm X

Sorry I couldn't keep it at ten.

And, I dont watch T.V too much anymore, nothing really good on. The only shows I watch are The Dead Zone and Pardon the Interruption.
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous