Keats The Movie - the news we've all been waiting for....

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:18 pm

Well obviously a lot of this film will be fictionalized, particularly the intimate moments between Keats and Fanny.

One thing I'm worried about is that it will feature sex scenes - not because I'm a prude or anything, but because I don't believe the relationship was ever consummated and to imply or show otherwise would be misleading.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby fleshyniteshade » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:34 pm

yeah, i just want the movie to do his romantic side "justice" vs women-enjoying side of him. After all, it *IS* a movie about falling in love, no? I don't really think they need to have sex scenes either way.

But you know, I don't know about them never consummating, they DID live next to each other and keats seem to be fond of women so. Could Fanny tame his passion for women to that extent? However, I really don't know about any of that. I could believe it I mean, sercetly engaged? Secretly intimiate? Why not? Times were different I suppose but I would feel bad if they never did, they seemed to be so in love.

Being 20 years old, I am in the complete highlight of "being and falling in love" and I hope they protray it as much as I am enjoying falling in love. Keats is a romantic role-model for me I suppose so do me justice director/writer.
"aye, my envious dreams do shyly express thy tenderous lips fairly laced with sensous honey and I like aroused virgins dwell upon such dining"
fleshyniteshade

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:40 pm

Well the reason I say the relationship wasn't consummated is because in one of Keats' last anguished letters to Brown he says "I wish I could have had her when I had the chance".

Of course no-one knows for sure.

Keats wasn't a virgin of course - we know he had visited prostitutes but as for sexual relations with Fanny we really have no idea but reading between the lines of all that Keats wrote about her and poems written to her they all speak of yearning, of a desire unfulfilled in my opinion.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby fleshyniteshade » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:49 pm

Was Fanny a virgin at the time? Anybody know? I wonder why they wouldn't though. Maybe they wanted to wait till marriage because Keats had an std as suggested? Eh, nobody knows.
"aye, my envious dreams do shyly express thy tenderous lips fairly laced with sensous honey and I like aroused virgins dwell upon such dining"
fleshyniteshade

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:52 pm

fleshyniteshade wrote:Was Fanny a virgin at the time? Anybody know? I wonder why they wouldn't though. Maybe they wanted to wait till marriage because Keats had an std as suggested? Eh, nobody knows.

I think it was more of a case of not having the opportunity...

As far as I can gather Keats always met Fanny either in her family's company or his friends company.

In this days it was a lot harder for couples, particularly young unchaperoned couples to spend time completely alone.

I think Fanny was, or may have been a virgin. That was not such an uncommon thing then as it is today.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby fleshyniteshade » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:04 pm

Oh yeah, I can believe that. When I went to school in Heidelberg, Germany they had something there called the student kiss. It's a piece of chocolate. Anyways, the university boys and girls, or more so the girls were not allowed to show physical affection for boys in the public and were well chaperoned so instead, boys and girls that saw eye with one another would give each other a student kiss to show their affection. I think that was well into the late 1800s. Don't remember exactly. You know if they did sleep together, I think Keats would have reflected it more in his letter/poetry anyways. Then again, if it were a secret it would have been dumb to put onto paper? I'm baffling myself.
fleshyniteshade

Postby Malia » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Pretty certain that Keats didn't have sex with Fanny B. The letter to Brown that Saturn mentions is a pretty big clue--also, he told Severn near the end that the "thwarting of his passions" in the woman department (he didn't mention Fanny's name to Severn) caused his TB. Part of the reason he didn't consumate his love with her was because she was a middle class "good girl" and "good girls" didn't have sex before marriage. Now, shopkeepers daughters were another thing all together and it was not a secret that he pulled a few of those apron strings. But if a middle class girl was found out to be having sex before marriage. . .her reputation would be mortally wounded unless the guy married her--which Keats would have been financially unable to do.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:26 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Keats was no Byron [whose sexual peccadilloes and exploits are various and legendary or Shelley [who consummated his relationship with Mary on her mother;s tombstone of they are to be believed :lol: ].

I think if he had have had sex with Fanny it definitely would have been reflected more in his work and letters.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:47 pm

Anyone else get the sinking feeling these two people are too good looking to play Keats and Fanny?
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:59 pm

Well, let's not be too depressed just yet. We haven't seen these people in character. Makeup can do wonders. I'm sure the makeup artists be able to take their natural beauty down a notch :lol: Also, that picture of Keats you posted, Saturn, is--at least in my opinion--probably one of the most unflattering contemporary portraits. I'm not a big Severn fan--he always makes Keats look like a wimp. He looks a lot hotter in the Haydon sketch. And what about the life mask? Keats had great bone structure ;) People who knew him, even as acquaintances, said he was very handsome. Only Keats himself constantly refered to his features in a negative light.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:01 pm

I was too busy staring at Ms Cornish to notice sorry :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Oh, thank God! I was so afraid I was the only one who disliked Severn's sketch of Keats! It seems to be the popular one that everyone uses and I think it looks absolutely terrible. Malia, I couldn't have said it any better. *sighs*
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:57 pm

My favourite portrait is the one on the home page of this site by Brown :wink:

This one just has the ring of truth about it.

I think Brown captured something here that Severn [beautiful though some of his images are] was never really able to portray - Keats' in a quiet musing moment.

I always look at this picture and imagine he's just about to pick up a pen and write something :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:30 am

I like that one a great deal too. The only thing is that it has that unfinished feel to it but that also complements the mood of the picture as you were saying, it looks like Keats is just getting ready to write. My favorite pic is the Hilton painting.
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:46 am

What *I* like about the pic is that Keats looks like he has some balls--with testosterone flowing freely through them!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR