Keats's Words

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats's Words

Postby Duse » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:23 am

I once read something of Keats's where he commented on the fact that he had once scorned the clergy, but after falling in love he understood the passion. He went on to say that he worshipped his object of affection. Does this ring a bell for anyone? I think it was a letter, can someone refer me to it?
Duse

Postby Endymion » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:25 pm

Hmm thats' really interesting Duse, I've never heard anything like that; it would surely be a departure from the Keats I know, and he never converted to christianity in his life ... maybe it is something I read, I've just ordered a copy of selected letters, you can bet I'll devour it pretty quick and I'll let you know. :D
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby matt » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:15 am

understanding the passion doesn't mean he converted, he may have simply come to understand the emotion. With poems like Women Wine and Snuff, where he claims that to be the 'trenity' i can't imagin him to be christian
matt

Postby Despondence » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:18 pm

Duse: I think Matt is right that Keats was referring only to the complete devotion to a passion by which certain men would preordain their lives - men of the cloth in worship of god and the church; Keats, for the love of Fanny Brawne.

I came across a passage in a letter to Fanny Brawne (13 October 1819) that might not be what you're referring to, but seems to express this feeling:

"I have been astonished that Men could die Martyrs for religion-I have shudder'd at it-I shudder no more-I could be martyr'd for my Religion-Love is my religion-I could die for that-I could die for you."

(Rollins' edition)
Despondence

grateful

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:56 am

Thank you guys so much for your insight, as I personally agree with Matt, though I respect all opinions. Despondence that was exactly the quote I was picking my brain for, I simply could not find it anywhere! Thanks ever so much.

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays