Keats The Movie - the news we've all been waiting for....

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes that is definitely the picture I get - that is the man who fought the butcher's boy :lol:

For too long Keats has been considered a bit of flowery wimp a "big-girls-blouse" as they say where I come from.

We that now him know he was all man :lol:
Last edited by Saturn on Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:32 am

I'm seeing Mr. Wishaw as Keats more with the longer hair (perhaps he's been growing it out for the role?). This remind anyone vaguely of a certain miniature by a certain Severn of which most of us don't seem too fond? ;)

I do think Abbie Cornish is too pretty for Fanny, though, and I highly doubt that much effort will be made to make her appear more plain. The truly average girls just don't get any love in the film industry. :roll:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:06 am

Aw come on girls be realistic - they need to try and attract the male viewers because quite honestly and you all know this to be true - not many men are in the slightest but interested in Keats, never mind poetry, or doomed love stories for that matter.

Fanny herself, though not ugly certainly from the evidence and pictures we have was rather ordinary in her looks.

But that's the thing about attraction there's no real perfect formula. I'm sure some of you girls think men are only interested in the tall leggy blonde's with big bazoombas but in truth, well speaking personally I find that dull and predictable and frankly boring.

Most of the girls I've ever been particularly drawn to in my life have certainly not been that kind of girl.

There are a lot of supposedly "beautiful people" in Hollywood and the entertainment that I don't find in the slightest bit attractive at all.

Ms Cornish certainly doesn't seem like the kind of fame hungry vacuous actress - she seems kind of sweet and down to earth from what I've seen and read about her.

Abbie Cornish actually can act. I checked out a small Australian film she did called Somersault and she was very good in that I'd heartily recommend it before you all judge her as a dumb blonde.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:08 pm

Oh, that's all fine and well, but the fact remains that the film industry seems to regard average-looking girls of equally great talent as somehow toxic. Regardless of how attraction/love works in the "real world", there is still a frustrating consensus that no one wants to see anything but uncommonly beautiful women in leading roles. :roll:
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:37 pm

And far-too handsome leading men too don't forget...

Though male leads can be ugly and old, for this type of picture the romantic poet has to be good looking and dashing a la Mr Darcy or people won't get it :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Fortuna » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:10 am

I am so, so excited about this film as well. I was afraid that a film made about Keats will eventually be left to a low-budget, b-grade film maker of which only 10 DVDs will be sold on ebay, but finding out someone so talented and accomplished has taken on the task is great news! Hopefully this will enlighten the contemporary folks on who John Keats is, even if it is only through the movie, and I wouldn't get so many confused looks when I explain to people my garnet engagement ring was inspired by Keats.

Abbie Cornish does stand in stark contrast to the Fanny Brawne beside her with the significantly less kempt eyebrows and a hook for a schnoz but a lot of great and beautiful actors (like her) have adapted themselves very well to roles that required them to look less attractive than they are in reality (Charlize Theron comes to mind) and I doubt this film will be much of a vanity fest :).

(P.S. hello!)
"Call’d him soft names in many a mused rhyme,
To take into the air my quiet breath"
Fortuna

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:37 pm

Hello again Fortuna - long time no post :D

Good to see you back.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:31 am

I think this Ben will do the job-I really do--and for a Keats devotee to say that--well...I just think he will...

...I saw Mr. Whishaw in Perfume: The Story of a Murderer--incredible film by the way--and before he opened his mouth to speak, I was eyeing him cautiously on the screen...but when that spot-on, nailed down, authentic, yet elegant cockney, North London accent came flying out, in a nice rich, low tone--I was left in sort of a dither...in short, he sounds like Keats would have. And that counts for quite a bit...I don't know, for some reason when the guy spoke, it became a bit uncannily real...I felt a bit swoonish...the thought of knowing how Keats sounded!! To hear him read his own poetry-- :!: To hear him whisper in my ear! :oops: :lol:

:shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:00 pm

I was quite inadvertently watching a film yesterday called Stoned [about the death of Brian Jones from The Rolling Stones] and whom should be playing a young Keith Richards?

None other but young Mr. Wishaw.

I was looking at this guy thinking "doesn't that guy look like the dude who's going to be playing Keats" and lo! in the credits I found out it was him indeed him.

You girls will probably spontaneously explode when I tell you that he has a very full frontal nude scene in this movie...

**watches the dust fly by as female posters rush to their video stores**

:wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:10 am

Yes, but is it worth rushing out to the video stores? Not all men are created equal you know... :D
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:59 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Well that will be for you to judge - I tend not to look at other guys' equipment in case it is bigger damnit!! :lol:

As for it's cinematic credentials, it's quite a good film actually.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:02 pm

I've been wanting to see Perfume for some time now. Stoned will have to go on my list too before Bright Star comes out.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:37 pm

Oh when will it be me wonders - Spring? Summer next year???

Is it even in production as we speak? There's so little news it's infuriating :?

So many questions...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:59 pm

If its not, it shortly will be. The film is listed as in pre-production, but I've read they are set to start production this month. I figure it will be released in the fall of next year. It just feels like an autumn movie.
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:18 pm

I have a feeling it won't be released anywhere near where I live :lol: We got Being Jane in the theatre here for two weekends before it was gone. (It really wasn't that great a show, unfortunately. Hoping the Keats movie is much better.) If I can get Bright Star on DVD, I'd be happy--just hope I'll be able to find it at all. Seems to me this is going to be an art house flick.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR