The all-new quote thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:28 pm

Hello all. I'm baaa-ack!! Been extraordinarily busy recently, what with trying to merge my philosophical meditations into one coherent, absolute whole. "Without knowledge of the present to progress into the future, we are in its infancy", as Cicero once wrote. Speaking of philosophy, here's a passage from possibly my favourite:

"The Universe is governed by divine laws, which, unlike those of man's making, are inviolable, immutable and an end to themselves, not instruments for the attainment of particular objects. The love of God is man's true good. From other passions we can free ourselves, but not from love, because for the weakness of our nature we could not subsist without the enjoyment of something that may strengthen us by our uinion with it. Only the knowledge of God will enable us to subdue the hurtful passions - this, as the source of all knowledge, is the most perfect of all; and inasmuch as all knowledge is derived from God, we may know God better than we know ourselves, as God is in all things moreso than they are in themselves."

- Benedict de Spinoza
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:57 pm

Great to see you back Heaven/Hell!! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:09 pm

Indeed it is.

Come gather round me my children.

Together we shall make a better world :P
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:31 pm

Yes, sweet poetry can call up the underlying beauty of the world and form some complete undivided love that unites us all in its essence...
"Language has not the power that Love indites: The Soul lies buried in the ink that writes" ~ John Clare
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby dks » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:37 am

Heaven/Hell wrote:Yes, sweet poetry can call up the underlying beauty of the world and form some complete undivided love that unites us all in its essence...

I'll second that.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Brave Archer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:44 am

Beauty awakens the soul to act.

Dante
Why don't you really tell me how you feel!
Brave Archer

Postby Malia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:51 pm

"It is better to be high-spirited even though one makes more mistakes, than to be narrow-minded and all too prudent."
--Vincent Van Gogh.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:20 pm

"The Imagination is a place that, of itself, can make Heavens out of Hells and Hells out of Heavens."
- John Milton
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:10 pm

"I believe every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine."
-Neil Armstrong
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:31 pm

My favorite phrase in Irish:

"Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán."

(There are two sides to every story and twelve versions of every song.)
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Oh you put me to shame Credo, I know precious little Irish :oops:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Credo Buffa wrote:My favorite phrase in Irish:

"Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán."

(There are two sides to every story and twelve versions of every song.)

That's a great saying, Credo! Can you provide us with the phoentic spelling so that we who do not know this language what-so-ever can get an idea of how it is supposed to sound?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:24 pm

"This energy (that of the Over-Soul or supreme universal identity with which the individual soul finds itself at One with Infinity) does not descend into individual life on any other condition than entire possession. It comes to the lowly and simple; it comes to whomsoever will put off what is foreign and proud; it comes as insight; it comes as serenity and grandeur. When we see those whom it inhabits, we are apprized of new degrees of greatness. From that inspiration the man comes back with a changed tone. He does not talk with men with an eye to their opinion. He tries them. It requires of us to be plain and true. The vain traveller attempts to embellish his life by quoting my lord, and the prince, and the countess, who thus said or did to him. The ambitious vulgar show you their spoons, and brooches, and rings, and preserve their cards and compliments. The more cultivated, in their account of their own experience, cull out the pleasing, poetic circumstance, — the visit to Rome, the man of genius they saw, the brilliant friend they know; still further on, perhaps, the gorgeous landscape, the mountain lights, the mountain thoughts, they enjoyed yesterday, — and so seek to throw a romantic color over their life. But the soul that ascends to worship the great God is plain and true; has no rose-color, no fine friends, no chivalry, no adventures; does not want admiration; dwells in the hour that now is, in the earnest experience of the common day, — by reason of the present moment and the mere trifle having become porous to thought, and bibulous of the sea of light."

- excerpt from The Over-Soul, by Ralph Waldo Emerson
(Brackets and italicisation are my own additions.)
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:10 pm

"If you ask me what I came into this life to do, I will tell you: I came to live out loud."
--Emile Zola, 19th Century French Author
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Heaven/Hell » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:10 pm

"Heaven-bound, the eternal course the soul must hold
As it is paradise she soars to seek
(For all that delights the sense is false & weak)
Ideal Form, the Universal Mould."

- Michaelangelo (Renaissance painter, sculptor, poet and angel)
Heaven/Hell
At Parnassus' foot

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous