THE ROMANTIC

Here you can post YOUR OWN poems, prose, music, or art inspired by the 'Muses nine'.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

THE ROMANTIC

Postby Matt » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:28 pm

The Romantic

“We do not accept work that relies so heavily on archaics”

If being a Romantic means,
Living a life full of strife’s unforeseen,
Charming young maidens and rosy whores,
Knowing everything but still wanting more,
Wandering over wet, soggy dale,
Through gushing streams into flowery vale,
Having one pad of paper and one old pen,
With which to write love songs again and again,
To have a passion for nature and a passion for love,
To have a passion for hell and the heavens above,
To be confused, to be misunderstood,
To smoke ‘dull opiate’ from some forbidden wood,
Then Ah! The Romantic! This is not me,
Yet from ‘mind forg’d manacles’ I will set myself free.
The Romantic, I am not that,
I’ve seen no meadows and I live in a flat.
Laugh you may, I care not if you do,
For I have a lift and a balcony too.
Matt

Courageous

Postby Saturn » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:55 pm

Well done Matt for posting one of your poems on the site - It's very Byronic - I'm sure that will please you.

Just on Byron, did you see the BBC Drama on his life last year - what did you think of it?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Matt » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:37 pm

I actually bought it on DVD.

I like it. I think Johnny Lee Miller is perfect for the role-the likeness is incredible.

There are some wonderfully brilliant scenes in it namely the nude chase scene with Lady Caroline Lamb and the one where he throws the parrot out the window. Very funny, and very good in that it portrays Byron as the unhinged person the myth makes him to be.

I love the opening scene-'If you please....you bastard. Let her go'

Wonderful
Matt

Byron on DVD

Postby Saturn » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:50 pm

I too have the Byron drama on DVD - I was watching it yesterday.
It is terrific entertainment, if only the script didn't rely to heavily on his work to make it up. It's like those Oscar Wilde movies where all he speaks is dialogue from his plays.

Johnny Lee Miller was perfect in the part, portraying the vulnerability, arrogance and the attraction of Byron to a tee.
A few complaints - the guy playing Shelley not only didn't look like him in the slightest, but was totally misrepresentative of the fiery revolutionary that he was in life.

Also the girl playing Augusta Leigh - she wasn't a dumb blonde in real life - in fact she was very much like Byron himself - he says somewhere that her heart and eyes and face were all "like to mine".

Overall though, I hope some people watching it would have been interested to check out his poetry and the poetry of the period in general. Anything that provokes an interest in poesy can't be too bad.

One moment they unaccountably forgot which would have been hilarious was when in the marriage service the vicar said "and all my worldly goods I thee endow" - Byron is supposed to have turned to Hobhouse with a wry smile (knowing how far he was in terrible debt) - I can't believe they left that out!!!

If only someone would do as much for Keats - imagine a drama about Keats - who could possibly play him?? It's mystifying to think of who could take on such a challenging role.

Any thoughts any one??
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Becky » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:01 pm

Don't be silly, living in a flat doesn't stop you from being a Romantic. I would have thought it a positive, in fact! Nor does not seeing any meadows, so long as you yearn to. Where do you live, that so completely isolates you from the countryside? (Liked your poem, though, this isn't a criticism at all)

Some cynical people might quibble about living in the wrong era, however... shame on them for slighting a worthy ambition.

On an entirely different subject, yet related, if you managed to catch a recent BBC version of David Copperfield, the actor playing the title character might make a good Keats...gentle and earnest without overacting.
Becky

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:46 pm

Interesting choice - a bit too tall maybe though which is always the problem with casting anyone to play Keats as he was by our standards quite small and unless all the other actors were 6'5 it woulkd be hard to emphasis Keats' stature, and I think that it needs to be shownas it was an important part of his personality and his psyche.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Becky » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:47 pm

But wasn't everyone smaller then anyway ... finding a good actor is difficult enough without insisting they be 5ft precisely, or that everyone be under 5ft 6inches. Maybe a compromise is in order - an actor as proportionally short as Keats was to the people around him?

Actually, height can be quite easily disguised on film.
Becky

Postby Becky » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:53 am

Sorry to have seemed so abrupt and defensive, I had to rush out for a lecture on - wait for it - the English Romantic landscape. What I meant was, actors in films such as Peter Pan can be made to appear shorter despite having grown during filming. Obviously, this technique can be overused and unintentionally distracting, (or begin to look like The Borrowers).

Alternatively, they could always use the actor who played the romantic poet son in Wives and Daughters, who is supposed to be based on Keats anyway, and consequently very small, consumptive, and being killed by frustrated passion, very gloomy. He might be a little too old, now, though.
Becky

Postby Saturn » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:33 pm

I heard yesterday that Morcambe and Wise once did a sketch with a fictional meeting between Keats and Byron.

Has anyone ever seen this??

Sounds bizarrre
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Becky » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:24 pm

Dimly. If I remember rightly, there was much flashing of quills.

However, I found this in my copy of Keats letters. Whoever they were, studying Keats seems to have palled. I don't particularly agree with the sentiments, though!

And so the twain their pleasure took upon fair Hampstead Heath
With Wordworth sitting on a style, & Keats stretched out beneath
Said Wordsworth: 'In this solitude I sense the soul divine'
While Keats declared 'Buy Hippocrene, the blushful brand of wine'
(A cow got up and stretched herself) - Ah, agonised enchantment!
And left them to it wond'ring what such incoherent rant meant!
Becky

ode to romance

Postby jamiano » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:32 pm

ode to romance

kisses few,
dearer, each one...

jamiano

p.s. The above is a reference to a verse of Shakespeare.
Good Luck,
and a good night... :arrow:
jamiano

Re: ode to romance

Postby dks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:13 pm

jamiano wrote:ode to romance

kisses few,
dearer, each one...

jamiano

p.s. The above is a reference to a verse of Shakespeare.
Good Luck,
and a good night... :arrow:

I LOVE this!!! Simply stated...hits straight to the very fibers...polished and evocative. Great work, jamiano!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Return to ‘Where’s the Poet? Show him! Show him!’