Stillenger or Barnard? I need advice.

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Stillenger or Barnard? I need advice.

Postby Junkets » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:17 am

Although I have various editions of Keats' poetry, I've decided that I want to buy a copy of the complete poems to condense the numerous books I have into one volume (I don't really know why I hadn't done this earlier). But, I haven't been able to decide which copy to get. I've read various reviews of both the Barnard and Stillenger editions that suggested that both were good, but Stillenger seems to come out tops. I had considered buying both copies but decided that was a bit excessive for now (I'll buy one now and the other another day), so which do I get? For some guidance I turn to you, my learned friends, have any of you read both editions? Which is the better? Which do I buy first?
Junkets

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:11 pm

I thought the same as you before I bought my own copy.

I don't have the Stillenger, but even in the Barnard edition, the editor admits that the Stillinger is superior. I think mainly it has more detailed notes and references and stuff.

They're probably both much of a muchness, so I wouldn't wory too much about it - it's the poems that are important remember :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Junkets » Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:38 pm

Aah, I knew I could rely on you Stephen. To be honest the Stillenger does seem to be favourable for the additional notes etc. but I am torn by the fact that the Barnard edition has somewhere in the region of 200 pages more. Of course type size and other factors probably dictate the number of pages, but goddamn it I don't want to miss out!

To Amazon......Stillenger here I come!

Cheers Stephen.
Junkets

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays