Keats The Movie - the news we've all been waiting for....

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Malia » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:35 pm

Haslam is going to be in this movie, too?! He was another one of my favorites in the Keats Circle. It surprises me how many of the Keats Circle are being cast. I guess I had this idea that it would be an extremely small cast (of, say, Fanny B., Keats, Fanny's mother, and Charles Brown--and *maybe* a few quick entrances by Joseph Severn). Although I expect Reynolds, Tom Keats, and Haslam to have bit parts, it is great to see them included at all!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:45 pm

Indeed, this all sounds promising.

Damnit I sooooo wanted to see the film this year :cry:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby catlover » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:01 pm

Did you see the photo of the actor who is playing the role of John Hamilton Reynolds? He looks just llike him.I can't wait to see all of his circle come to life on the screen.I'm impatient too.
catlover

Postby Malia » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:55 pm

The IMDb for Bright Star has been updated. As of April 2, they are actually in the process of *filming* the picture. The actors are finally acting! :lol: Looking at the cast list--I'm sure it has to be incomplete, even though they are now filming the movie. Where are Charles Brown and Joseph Severn? I was sure they'd play a role in this movie. . . and I'm curious to know who will play them. . .ah well, might have to wait til it comes out in '09.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi everyone :) I'm so excited to see the message board back in action--and a back-up prepared just in case. I was just about ready to bury my hopes of seeing you all again when suddenly, the message board was resurrected! (Appologies for my religious metaphors, I just spent a week in the high Mojave desert living with a group of Benedictine Monks--a *very* awesome experience, might I add!--and these metaphors come easily just now ;) )

Anyway, I was searching around for news about Bright Star the movie, and I discovered there is now a website up--put there by Campion and her production people. Now, I opened it fine on my Mac at home last night but on my PC this morning, I couldn't seem to make it work. . . aha! I just discovered why it isn't working on my PC--you must open this site with the Firefox browser in order to view it completely. It doesn't seem to work when opened through Explorer. So, be forewarned ;)

But I'll post the link here anyway, in case you want to check it out. It's not filled with much yet, but I understand more will be added soon, now that the movie is in post-production.

http://www.brightstarthemovie.com/home.aspx

One thing they have on this site is a complete cast list--so you can see quite a few of the Keats circle will appear at least once or twice in the movie--there is also a short synopsis of the film. Campion does take some liberties with history, but nothing that destroys the spirit of Keats and/or his relationship with Fanny B.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:01 pm

Oops! Just read your sticky, Saturn. Looks like you all have seen the website already! :) Well, I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things. . .I only hope that Bright Star is released in American theatres. Looks like it's only slated to be released in Britian so far. I don't think I could wait for it to come out on DVD!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm sure it will have some sort of limited release in the US Malia, it may be an independent film, but Ms Campion is a celebrated director and I'm sure many people would like to see a film of hers irrespective if they have any interest in Keats or not.

Here's hoping anyway.

*crosses all available digits*
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Keats The Movie - the news we've all been waiting for....

Postby Saturn » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:19 pm

While doing a search for Bright Star I came across this which is apparently from the set of Bright Star with Ms Cornish as Fanny

Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:21 pm

Wow, she even kinda looks like Fanny. That's hopeful anyway. Thanks for sharing, Saturn! Does anyone know why they haven't cast anyone for Severn?
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Malia » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:26 pm

Yes, I've seen this and a few other production pictures (where the one you posted came from). I believe they are all on Abby Cornish's main web site. I have the direct address on my computer at work, but I expect if one plugs in her name to Google, one will find the website and other pics, too. :) I'm looking forward to seeing some of Ben in character. However, I believe that this story is really more about Fanny Brawne and her sister (judging from the Bright Star website) than it is about Keats. . .
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Hey AsphodelElysium :) They *have* cast for Severn--I believe he plays a very minor role in the film, however. The gentleman who plays him is Samuel Barnett. You can find the entire cast list and some other interesting bits and pieces at the movie's main website: www.brightstarthemovie.com

It is hard (if impossible) to access the website using the Explorer browser--but it is very easy to view if you use Firefox.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:51 pm

Yup, I'm on Firefox. Apparently I haven't been keeping too close an eye on the movie, they've added all sorts of stuff since the last time I visited the official site (I've been mainly keeping tabs on imdb.com). I'm frowning right now at the movie synopsis. Can't they keep it accurate? I mean the whole story is tragic enough, interesting enough, without them adding or subtracting from it. *Huffs*
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:56 pm

I've found a little article with two more pictures, including Mr. Wishaw as a dashing and [dark-haired] Keats.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... hett-.html

Scroll down to the middle of the page.

Interesting that they have not changed his hair colour to Keats' natural auburn.

Hmmmmmmmmm... not sure about that.

The article suggest the entire film takes its cue very much from fanny's perspective as was previously supposed.

Still its nice to find even such a small scrap of information about this film we've been waiting for so long, it's as rare as hen's teeth.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:36 pm

Here's another picture I found in my search:

Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Lolita.Spanky » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:27 am

I can already feel myself in tears.

On a plus note....Keats is hot :P
I said to my soul, be still , and wait without hope, for hope would be hope for the wrong thing.
Lolita.Spanky

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR