Does Anyone Know of Any Critics of Keats?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Does Anyone Know of Any Critics of Keats?

Postby THMann » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:31 pm

I have been assigned to do a research paper and naturally I chose one of my favorite poets, but the task is seemingly harder than I believed it would be. The topic is as such:

Is Keats a "hack poet?"

I was planning on attacking the topic by saying that he was not, by using "La Belle Dame Sans Merci" as a case study by comparing it to "Thomas Rhymer"...

My working thesis is this:

As shown in his contemporary criticisms, Keats, was sometimes considered a "hack poet" which is most definately not, and this belief can be proved by his beautiful reanimation of the old folk ballad "Thomas Rhymer" in his poem "La Belle Dame Sans Merci."

If anyone has any help or other ideas that I could possibly use, sources, old papers, other poems that could prove he didn't merely just paraphrase old works, big stupid critics who thought that Keats was unoriginal and where to find their works (like books or websites), etcetera.

Thanks,

Thomas Hardy Mann III
THMann

Postby Wickers_Poet » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:43 pm

You will find helpful many recent annotations of Keat's poetry. I have found Studies such as the Penguin Classics edition of his Complete Poems very useful.

In this regard, also take a look at Robert graves' tome The White Goddess which reveals how aware Keats actually was of poetic conventions. Graves discussses this with reference to 'La belle dame sans merci.'
Wickers_Poet

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays