My wandering soul!

Postby Starlight » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:30 am

Hidden in the foils of earth
Misted like fog of night
Dawn in a beautiful day
Spreaden in the rays of light
Life is delicate mystery
for us, for our insight!

We can live in different dimension to sooth ouselves, i live in more then one era to satisfy my inner self to make myself more diversely sensitive.

Love for all.
Passion is the ultimate way to your destination!
Starlight

The Specificity of History

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:06 am

There is an important thing regarding time one must know which is that the past, present and future are a one interacting with each other. And one's mortal existence can only directly effect things during a short time interval; yet one's ideas last forever.

Shelly's Poem:

Music when soft voices die vibrates
in the memory.
Odours when sweet violets sicken,
live within the sense they quicken.

Rose leaves when the rose is dead,
are heaped for the beloved's bed,
and so thy thoughts when thou art gone,
love itself shall slumber on.

Therefore spend your time wisely and do something that mankind will appreciate just like Keats took the time to care about the people in the year 2005 by writing his poetry.

Now one important idea I shall posit about art is that one must come to know the specific context the artist is creating and the specific context the artist himself is in. One can only live in one era physically but one must also realize that the art has a similar specificity.

The reason why Shakespeare is garbage when it is not done in its specific context is because the artist's intention is utterly destroyed!

That's why I think that if someone wants to understand Keats' poetry one must relive what Keats was doing. And one can have an insite into who he was. DON'T IGNORE THE HISTORICAL FIGHTS OCCURING DURING KEATS' LIFE! Take the time to know the context Keats was in.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Becky » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:48 am

How would you relive Keats life? Just curious.
Becky

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:34 pm

A De Lorean or a phone box :lol: :lol:

Sorry, showing my age there :? :?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Study

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:16 pm

If you want to relive what Keats was thinking (which is what I meant) you should study the history of the Elgin Marbles and memorize and perfect Keats poem On Seeing The Elgin Marbles.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Becky » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:52 am

It always disapointed me that the Elgin marbles aren't round...
Becky

Postby Saturn » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:30 pm

:lol: :wink: :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: The Specificity of History

Postby Junkets » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:30 pm

[quote="MonroeDoctrine"]
The reason why Shakespeare is garbage when it is not done in its specific context is because the artist's intention is utterly destroyed!.[/quote]

Lordy! Now, that is a grand statement said with conviction. Do you mean historical context? If so, I am troubled. Regardless of my confusion as to how we could know Shakespeare's intention for his works (bearing in mind he was a jobbing writer not a god), how can they be garbage if removed from this context? Isn't it the words he wrote that provide the interest rather than the social and historical climate of the time that they were written?

[quote="MonroeDoctrine"]
That's why I think that if someone wants to understand Keats' poetry one must relive what Keats was doing. And one can have an insite into who he was. DON'T IGNORE THE HISTORICAL FIGHTS OCCURING DURING KEATS' LIFE! Take the time to know the context Keats was in.[/quote]

Another curious statement. Do you really believe that Keats cannot be understood in any way, on any level unless the reader relives what Keats was doing and has some insight to the political upheavals of the age? Could this be a little (dare I say it) elitist? I'm not discounting the possibility that I may have misunderstood what you meant, but what I understand so far is that unless a reader of Keats has a particularly in depth knowledge of the 19th century they can not understand it. Am I wrong? Please say I am.
Junkets

Postby Becky » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:37 am

perfect Keats poem
:?: :!: :roll:

It is true you get a lot more out of art by knowing the political context, but great art can be measured on its universal qualities alone.
Becky

Lo and Behold!

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:38 am

The artist can communicate ideas beyond his or her time, yet to understand the mind of the person the context they are in; is indespensible to know what they are doing.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays