Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Postby riverborn » Fri May 29, 2009 1:28 am

Well, you know, I just don't find anything appealing about Byron's poetry. A matter of taste i suppose. My feeling about Keats is that he did want fame and recognition, and the monetary means to have a more secure life. His will simply listed his poetry and some books. That was it. His brother borrowed most of what was left of the small inheritance. My point is that I think Keats was somewhat jealous of Byron and Shelly- on two counts- one they had social status, money and women; two, he instinctively knew that he was a better poet than either.

When Shelley drowned there was a copy of Keats last book of poems open within his coat. Even so Shelly apparently thought little of the odes (he did like Hyperion). So his Adonais was not really founded on his appreciation of Keats the poet. (Wordsworth thought Keats last books of poems to be quite good, but was disappointed that Keats hung with the wrong crowd.) Shelley, of course, invited Keats to stay with him during his "recuperation" in Italy. Keats letter to him politely refuses, but does get those "load every rift with ore" digs in. One could imagine that hanging with Shelley was possibly one of the least likely choices he would ever make, regardless of circumstances.
riverborn

Postby Malia » Sun May 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Here are a few new snippets from the movie--along with the 3 we've seen before. Also, you'll find a movie poster for Bright Star on this site. One of the clips has Keats *singing* which strikes me as strange for some reason. I'd never thought of Keats as a singer . . . although when I come to think of it, he was fond of music and didn't he play vocal "concerts" with his friends? I notice that a few of the other singers play in Keats's story; there's Fanny Brawne's brother singing with another small boy (Charlie Dilke?) and one of the other two men who sing a part is supposed to be portraying Reynolds. Brown is in there, too, and looks to be singing. (Hmm. . .a Hampstead glee club? ;) )

http://www.movieset.com/bright-star/videos
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:56 am

Thanks Malia....but I have to confess. I probably need to stop watching these clips - I fear it will lessen my ability to appreciate the film if and when I do see it. I think I need to cleanse my visual palate.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:35 pm

Yes, I hear you there, BrokenLyre. Every time I see one more clip, I feel a little sorry I did--for that very reason! I think I'll make a resolve today to stop hunting for the blasted things and just be patient until I can see the whole movie at once. (Can someone please give me a sleeping potion and wake me up when the movie comes out? I have a feeling that will be the only way I can trust myself *not* to sneak a peek! :lol: ) But I do think I will stop hunting for and posting clips so as not to be tempted.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:12 pm

Ha ha ha - really - you make me laugh out loud since that is exactly how I feel (but was afraid to say it). I won't peek anymore - so now we can be accountable.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Credo Buffa » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:57 pm

Usually I stay away from "spoilers," but for some reason I have no qualms about it for this film. Bring 'em on!

I kind of love the singing bit, because it seems like such a slice of life from the day. This could very well be the only way that the average person in Keats' day would experience an orchestral piece like that (Mozart's Serenade No. 10 for Winds, by the way, I believe). It makes you realize how much we take for granted how widely available music is to us here in the 21st century.
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:38 pm

You are most brave Credo Buffa.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby riverborn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:15 pm

Re music, I seem to remember a story about Keats at a party. He loved wine and he related, in a letter, an event where they were all tipsy and they each became a different musical instrument in an orchestra (was he the tuba or perhaps a "silver snarling trumpet") and so entertained themselves. The most famous "party" story of Keats was the "immortal dinner" where someone chimed in something while Wordsworth was speaking, and his wife, I believe, said "Mr Wordsworth does not like to be interrupted". They was also a very stuck up diletante there and someone held up a candle to him and said "I need to examine this man's organs". Keats and the others had to leave the room for fear that their laughter would exacerbate the situation. Or so I recall.

Piano music was also big. Keats loved to visit someone who played beautifully. There only thing I remember about the guy was that he hid his small feet in slippers because he was uncomfortable with them. Keats, by the way, did not like his own hands, thinking them to be aging prematurely.
riverborn

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:44 pm

You're right, Credo--I forget that music was probably not something Keats and many of his contemporaries enjoyed daily unless someone played piano or another instrument--and an orchestral piece would have been an especially rare pleasure. Very neat how people could get together and create their own orchestra that way! Riverborn, I remember reading in a Keats biography about how he and his friends would "play a concert" sometimes when they were hanging out (Keats mentions in a letter playing a concert with friends once). Keats tended to play the bassoon. Makes me wonder what the tenor of his voice was. (Did he have a lower-toned voice?)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Credo Buffa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:41 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:You are most brave Credo Buffa.

No, just curious. :)

I love the idea of Keats "playing the bassoon." It's such an animated instrument. Perhaps that story was the inspiration for this scene in the film (though if I'm as correct as I think I am on one viewing, Keats is singing the oboe part there). But it's absolutely true that people would have to get very creative to enjoy music in his day. No doubt this is one of the reasons that it was deemed so important for well-bred young ladies to learn to play an instrument.

Keats was also very fortunate that Severn was quite an adept musician. It must have been a great comfort to have him in the next room playing away at Haydn, paired with the sound of the Bernini fountain out the window. Of course we have studies today to back up the power of music as a healing and calming force. I can only imagine how much more miserable Keats' time in that tiny little apartment in Rome would have been had it not been for Severn renting a piano!
"Holy Kleenex, Batman! It was right under our nose and we blew it!"
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:58 am

Just noticed a new piece of trivia about the film. According to the imdb:

The Hyde House and Estate in Hyde, Bedfordshire substituted for the Keats House in Hampstead. Jane Campion decided that the Keats House (also known as Wentworth Place) was too small and "a little bit fusty".

Oh dear :roll: :roll: :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby AsphodelElysium » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:16 am

Hmm, what happened to authenticity?
"Let me not wander in a barren dream,
But, when I am consumed in the fire,
Give me new Phoenix wings to fly at my desire."
AsphodelElysium
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Well I'm not expecting too much of that in this film, I think Campion is more concerned about aesthetics, and the beauty of the piece than historical accuracy I suppose.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

:roll: I concur with the eye roll on that one! I mean, he met her at Wentworth Place initially, for God's sake!! And, so, in what context is the word 'fusty' anyway? :?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:45 pm

I can understand why they didn't film in Wentworth Place--it was undergoing restoration at the time and it *is* awfully small--it might be a headache to fit all the camera equipment and crew, etc. in there. I don't mind if they film someplace else. My only concern about that particular aspect of the film is that they call it "Wentworth House"--I don't understand why the name should be changed from "Place" . . . maybe it has something to do with the use of "house" as a designation for larger dwellings in the 19th C.? But I'm not really too bothered about it.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR