Your latest book purchases.

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Your latest book purchases.

Postby Sawyer » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:22 pm

I have attempted Ulysses once, maybe its time to try Joyce again. The only book of his that I actually own is Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. My most recent purchase? Alison Weir's biography of Elizabeth I. I can't resist anything written by a good Tudor historian. I am almost embarrassed to admit that my other purchase was a "cozy" mystery. The Ghost and Mrs McClure, by Alice Kimberly, just in case anyone is fascinated by these literary guilty pleasures!
Sawyer

Postby Malia » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 am

All I can say is that I can't *wait* until I have time to read for pleasure once again. Two years chok full of leadership and sociology books is enough. My brain is full! (I go into this mini-rant because I will finish my last class for my master's degree in organizational leadership this semester! Huzzah! Come December 8th, I will be celebrating like it's 1999! LOL)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Wynn » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 pm

my most recent purchase is Robert Pinsky's translation of Dante's Inferno. It's quite good if you want to read Dante in English verse.
"Never trust a poet who can't construct a stanza."
— Clive James
Wynn

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:45 pm

My latest book purchase.... The Los Alamos Primer by Robert Serber. This book is considered to be one of the two most important documents of the 20th century. These lectures were first delivered by Robert Serber in March 1943 to the scientists who came to Los Alamos to build an atomic bomb and end WW II. A bit pricey this book (written in 1992) with Serber's own comments. Quite an important relic and a piece of history written by the man who educated others about the status of nuclear fission in 1943.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 pm

I found a copy of Bate's Keats biography the other day and shall be tucking into it soon 8)

Shall be interesting to compare with Gittings, Motion and Ward.

I've also seen a copy of Posthumous Keats, finally, but I can't really afford to buy it...grrrr why are hardback books so damn expensive even now?

Also, is this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/So-Bright-Delic ... 645&sr=1-3

possibly being printed to coincide with Bright star? :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:17 pm

I have Bate's biography, as well, Saturn. I haven't read it in years, but I concluded that this is the bio for anyone interested in analyzing and deconstructing Keats's poetry. He focuses a great deal on this and even diagrams part of Hyperion to show the inter-rhyme and assonance/consonance that Keats employs. I didn't think his biography was very "passionate" or poetic, in and of itself, but it is a sturdy scholastic work; the kind of biography I would suggest for a student who is in a class studying Keats.

The book you link to "So Bright and Delicate" looks great :) And I expect, if Bright Star does well, it might get more than a few buyers!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:30 pm

You're absolutely right about Bate's bio, Malia. In fact, his assertions of Keats's progressing synesthesia came in handy while writing my thesis. He was a literary critic, first--a writer, second--Ward's and Gittings's bios are much more plot and story driven. Have you ever read Amy Lowell's critical analyses on Keats? She produced a good bit of literary criticism on his works--and she was a poet--of the Ezra Pound school--I just wondered because I have only perused her work on him--never delved deeply into it.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:33 pm

Dks, I have Amy Lowell's two volume biography of Keats and have read parts of it. Judging from that work, I saw Lowell as extremely passionate, but not exactly *accurate* about various points of Keats's life. She also tends to opine a lot, which I think makes it a little harder to see her biography as a serious, scholarly work like the Gittings or Motion bios. It is a great bio for pictures that don't appear in many--if any--other biographies, such as the silhouette of Keats at age 15. I think she used quite a few images and pictures of letters from her own collection, which is pretty cool. I haven't read any of her poetical analyses of his poetry, so I don't know her "angle" on that aspect of Keats.

I remember reading Lowell for my undergrad English degree along with other Imagist poets and how she was pretty much ostracized by that community (at least, that's how I remember it :? ). They called her poetry "Amygism" and all but dismissed her as a rich girl who had airs about writing poetry, but was no poet, herself. I thought that was extremely unfair especially considering it was Ezra Pound who led the charge against her and I didn't really like him much; he often seemed ready to "pounce" on people he didn't think were up to snuff, poetically speaking. Who was he to judge who was a poet and who was not? (Hmm. . .looks like I have some unresolved anger around Ezra Pound! :lol: )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 am

Yes...apparently, it was one of those such poets who deemed her a "hippopoetess"--rather malicious...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:54 am

Since Harry Potter fever is alight again with the new movie coming out ( I confess I am as excited as my sons to see it) I was perusing an interview online with Harry himself. While reading, the interviewer asks him about our man...erm...uh...Danny Radcliffe is making a awfully big claim here, guys!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and- ... y-harry/4/

...the biggest fan, Danny? Really? He has obviously not visited our sanctuary... :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:15 am

Ahhh...who says he hasn't...? :wink:

"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:19 pm

You know, I wonder if he has... :?:
dks
Dante

Postby zebluepenguin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:41 am

Does anyone read Anne Rice here? I don't know if y'all are into vampires and stuff, but I just read the second book of the Vampires Chronicles, AND ITS SUPPPEEEERRR UPPEEERRRTTTYYY NNNIIICCCEEE!!!! My hands are now itching to grab the third book.
:D :D :D :P :P :P
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Postby zebluepenguin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:47 am

Yea, that's my latest book purchase. :D
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Postby jbieger322 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:33 am

That's interesting that you mention Anne Rice, my grandmother just gave me a book by her today. That in it's self was an interesting moment :lol: I must admit I have heard she is a great writer, but people say the content is very intense, and I am a bit afraid. BUT.. it's time to suck it up and see for myself :D

My last book purchase was sadly for school, However I am taking a very interesting British History class, and my professor is from Britain, (I forgot where) and he wrote the book The Other British Isles which covers the history of Shetland, Orkney, the Hebrides, Isle of man, Anglesey, Scilly, Isle of Write and the Channel Island. I am so happy to learn about new places, and I am also happy that he isn't just teaching us about England, because that's what most people teach when they teach British History.

So that was my last purchase, but now I'm hoping I will get someone to buy me a few Keats books! I'm not a mooch, just right now the economy is terrible, and I haven't been able to find a job :( Hopefully my grandma will support my newfound love :D
jbieger322

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous