The random ramblings thread

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: The random ramblings thread

Postby zebluepenguin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:29 am

[quote="Credo Buffa"]Now, though, I do at least have a name to attach to a good number of my symptoms--and perhaps even an indirect cause for most of the others--so I can with any luck start to get better once I'm able to get treatment. Until then, though, I'm unfortunately in a bit of a miserable state of limbo. I am updating my LiveJournal (http://rampantwhistler.livejournal.com) and Facebook pages quite regularly (and if you're on Facebook and we're not friends yet, do send me a message!), but anything else has pretty much fallen to the wayside for awhile in favor of extra hours trying to sleep, etc.

quote]
What's your facebook name?
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Postby Saturn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:26 am

I've been reading your status updates and stuff on Facebook Credo, you've had a horrible time of it I know, I feel for you, truly and I really hope now that you've finally got a diagnosis you can begin to deal with this illness as best you can and begin to get back some control of your life and health.
We shall always be here when you need a dose of Keats medicine never fear of that.

Take good care of yourself x

Only a few weeks until you lucky Yankee-doodle people get to see Bright Star :D

I know it will probably be on a limited number of screens but I hope whoever wants to see it will be able to find somewhere not too far away showing the film and will share their thoughts with us once they have.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Credo, we have certainly missed seeing you around the forum. I'm so sorry to hear of your illness, but am *happy* to know it has been properly diagnosed. Just knowing the name of what you have can make a difference. I was misdiagnosed with a seizure disorder for 10 years before it was properly diagnosed and just knowing what it was that I had (and that I wasn't just "going crazy") made so much difference. I've got you and your health in my prayers :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby zebluepenguin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:11 am

Try resting and relaxing more and listening to relaxing music. Hope you get well!
" Heard melodies are sweet. But those unheard are sweeter." -Keats
zebluepenguin

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:27 am

Wow - I was in Michigan this past week dropping my daughter off to college - and just found out about Credo. So sorry to hear of your IBD Credo Buffa! Life is hard enough when you are healthy - so my heart goes out to you. This explains why I haven't seen you around here too. I truly hope you will improve and enjoy better health. So good to hear from you again! :)
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby dks » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:15 am

Ah, Credo...all of the good healthy vibes I can muster are on their way to you from me! I certainly hope you can find some sound treatment options and nip it in the bud--I know how it feels when you are just generally all the time feeling unwell (a few years back I had my own trials with hormonal/endocrine problems) it will quickly make you realize the priceless wonder that is sound health. So good to hear from you! And, yes! Bright Star is only weeks away from securing my ticket money! :)
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:10 am

Ah!! Weeks away is "Bright Star" - I just got back from Monterrey, Mexico yesterday, and while there I ran into a person reading Simmons' "Hyperion." Some of the book is built on Keats... what are the chances of running into somebody currently reading that book? Yeah, that's what I thought too. Glad to be back - didn't have my computer...bummer. I don't know where Bright Star is playing, but I keep looking. I hope I don't have to drive to Toronto to see it. But I probably will.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:50 am

Now there's dedication!
Hope it doesn't come to that but if it does, I equally hope it will be worth the effort.

I haven't yet been to Keats House but will go tomorrow probably. I was at Westminster Abbey yesterday and fulfilled a long-held ambition of seeing Poets corner. Keats has own little plaque, a roundel on the wall - a simple memorial amidst some of the more gaudy effigies and grand statements. I wish I could have taken a picture, and others of the Abbey, but like many other tourist magnets photography alas is prohibited and thus I must carry within my memory the myriad tombs of Kings, Queens and statesmen, the coronation throne, the eerie feel of walking over the delicately carved monuments and inscriptions and the overwhelming, oppressive sense of a long and eventful history peopled with such diverse characters.

Well I bid you all adieu until, finally I can see and feel where Keats once walked, and wrote and thought.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:43 pm

Wow...my head just spins reading your day! I also taught in a Title 1 school - 8th graders for a year. I feel your pain.
I just loved reading your heart for Keats and desire to share him with others! I would do the same - then I would bring in my Keats' Life Mask to show them what he really looked like! What you are doing is so wonderful for these kids and adults. I send you my best dks - and like you, this forum is therapy for me too. Probably for all of us in some way.

I gotta see that movie - do I get extra credit too?
I just want to hear his name on the big screen - I don't ask for much. Just to hear it publicly and see a portrayal of him in film. I can die happy now.

Wishing you the very best in all you do!
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:15 pm

Well I finally made it to Keats House yesterday, pictures [covert ones lol] and thoughts to come in a few days when I get home again. :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:05 pm

I can't wait to see your pics, Saturn!
I've officially bought my tickets for my trip to Britain with my friends. The way our itinerary is going, I will be able to visit Keats House on the *last* day of my travels. The perfect capstone for my vacation, I think :)

We'll be starting out in Edinburgh, then to Inverness, Ayr, Durham England (where I went to school for a year), maybe a quick shot through York, then down to London.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:39 pm

Malia wrote:I can't wait to see your pics, Saturn!
I've officially bought my tickets for my trip to Britain with my friends. The way our itinerary is going, I will be able to visit Keats House on the *last* day of my travels. The perfect capstone for my vacation, I think :)

We'll be starting out in Edinburgh, then to Inverness, Ayr, Durham England (where I went to school for a year), maybe a quick shot through York, then down to London.

Oh, how I wish I could go with you guys, Miss Malia!!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Me too! I am already imagining what it would be like when you are traveling.... Hmmmm....let me see, as in a dream...

Who hath not seen thee oft amid thy journey?
Sometimes whoever seeks abroad may find
Thee sitting careless in an English field,
Thy thoughts soft lifted by the words of Keats
Or on a half-paved road sound asleep,
Drowsed with the fume of travels, while thy hand
Shares the next map and all its twined roads;
And sometimes, like a tourist thou dost keep
Steady thy laden camera across thy neck;
And by Hampstead Heath with eager look,
Thou watchest the last light sinking hours by hours...

I look forward to all the great things you will say here.....as I look forward to Saturn's.
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Excellent adaptation of a most beautiful poem, BrokenLyre!
I remember once a friend and I did a parody of On Reading Chapman's Homer--all about how our college owned half of the town of Walla Walla . . .

In other sort of random news, I emailed our local independent movie theatre here in Spokane to see if they will be playing Bright Star (we are just not a big enough venue to have it play in the multi-plex). I received a reply this afternoon saying that *yes* they have booked it and will be playing it in early October! Perfect timing, as autumn and Keats go together so very well--and autumns in Spokane are, to use Keats's words, "A thing of Beauty".
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:42 am

Glad you liked my silly adaptation - you Malia, are the "thee" in the poem, of course. I just imagined you traveling around having a great time in Britain and that's what came to mind...
I am so glad you will see the movie Bright Star in autumn - which I imagine is fantastic in Spokane (I've never been there)...just like I have never see Wentworth Place....
BrokenLyre
Endymion

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous