New Bright Star clips

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

New Bright Star clips

Postby Saturn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:18 pm

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/new-clips-from-jane-campion-s-bright-star?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=news

The more clips I see, the more I am impressed by Abbie Cornish as Fanny, Ben Wishaw still seems a bit drab as Keats, his reading of the letters in these clips is a bit, not quite monotone, but very sort of ordinary, a bit lifeless. But the film looks wonderful and the music beautiful and I still very much look forward to seeing it in November.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: New Bright Star clips

Postby Malia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Saturn, it is funny you should say that Whishaw's reading of Keats sounds a little lifeless and monotone. Last night, I was reading through the Grant Scott edition of Keats's Selected Letters and came across a letter from Woodhouse to Taylor. Woodhouse had recently spent an entire morning with Keats going over Eve of St. Agnes and Lamia and in the midst of recalling their conversation, Woodhouse said: "He then read to me Lamia . . . I was much pleased with it. I can use no other terms, for you know how badly he reads his own poetry. . ."
So to at least two of his friends, Keats's recitation of his work was probably much worse than Whishaw's. Maybe Whishaw was *trying* to sound like Keats :lol:

I love little snippets of perspective like the one Woodhouse so casually includes in his letter to Taylor. That Keats could not properly recite his own poetry is interesting and it helps color his character a little more deeply--the way a little shadow helps bring out the depth of a portrait.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:02 pm

Well I'm sure Ben's performance was not intentional or created with that observation in mind lol.

Who knows what Keats sounded like anyway really? It's always intrigued me. Did he have a 'cockney' accent, or an 'Estuary English' one. He certainly didn't have some posh upper class accent I'm sure, so I think Ben Wishaw's accent is fine, his acting is still open to question.

The jury's still out on that, I remain to be convinced...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:25 pm

I've wondered what Keats sounds like, too. I expect he had a slight Cockney accent. Not quite as strong as the Geico Gekko (do you know of him in N. Ireland?)--maybe a little softer than Gary Oldman's accent? I thought about what Keats might have sounded like last night when reading his letters. I felt a little jealous of Woodhouse, having had a half-day long conversation with Keats. He even said in his letter that he recognized his fortune in having such a friend as Keats. He says to Taylor, " I make no apology for stuffing my letter with this Keatsiana. I am sure nothing else I could say would have half the Interest, and I deem myself in luck to have such a subject to write about." Little did he realize at the time that nearly 200 years into the future, people would read his letter, thanking him for his Keatsiana :)

It is amazing to me how many of Keats's friends and acquaintances expressed the kind of sentiment Woodhouse did when talking about Keats. Even Barry Cornwall, who was only an acquaintance of Keats's said that when he met him (this is after Keats's first bout of blood spitting, while he was at Wentworth Place) that he'd never met such a simple, manly young man. Something about Keats's countenance really attracted others to him.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:46 am

I found this video on youtube of a clip from the movie. It features the first kiss between Fanny and Keats. You may want to leave such an important scene for when you watch the film, but if you can't help yourself, here it is!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrUawrWgg5I

Also, a beautiful scene with Fanny in a room full of butterflies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW6AkaO-LQM
It appears to me that almost any man may like the spider spin from his own inwards his own airy citadel.
Aquarius

Postby Raphael » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:34 pm

I bought a book about John in Oxfam yesterday- it was published in 1955 and is about the places he lived at and went to and how they affected him. It's called The Spirit of Place in Keats by Guy Murchie. In it there is a quote that John's voice was" low and rich". It was only £3.99 and is out of print so that was one fortunate find!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:42 pm

Oh, sounds interesting, good find Raphael :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:04 pm

I agree. That is an excellent find, Raphael! What does the author say about how the various places affected Keats? Any good quotes?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Malia wrote:I agree. That is an excellent find, Raphael! What does the author say about how the various places affected Keats? Any good quotes?

He talks about the gardens, landscapes of places that inspired John to write his poems. He also goes into houses- how some were not so comfortable for John and of course into Wentworth Place- it seems the house John was most happy. The book is actually a biography but uses the places as the framework, unlike the Coote biography. I like both books though. I finished reading the Spirit of Place one last night. The book is at home ( I have no web access som at a web place)- but yes there are good quotes- especially about John's beautiful looks and some aspects of his character and he really is in support of Fanny, which I like. I'll bring the book with me next time I go online to fid some nice quotes.'

p.s just watched the kiss scene- sweet! I bet John Keats would have been a bit more passionate than that though.. :D
Ben is good looking but not as good looking as the real John Keats with his glorious russet hair..

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby mevans » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:47 pm

p.s just watched the kiss scene- sweet! I bet John Keats would have been a bit more passionate than that though..
Ben is good looking but not as good looking as the real John Keats with his glorious russet hair..

I agree with you, it was quite sweet but I disagree that he would have been more passionate in real life. I like the shyness between the two, this seems more natural. There is such an unease with a first kiss especially if you're not sure you should kiss the person or not. I think Keats would have been more passionate after this for sure, but not a first kiss..
"And if thou wilt, remember,/And if thou wilt, forget." - Christina Rossetti
mevans

Postby Raphael » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:48 pm

mevans wrote:
p.s just watched the kiss scene- sweet! I bet John Keats would have been a bit more passionate than that though..

I agree with you, it was quite sweet but I disagree that he would have been more passionate in real life. I like the shyness between the two, this seems more natural. There is such an unease with a first kiss especially if you're not sure you should kiss the person or not. I think Keats would have been more passionate after this for sure, but not a first kiss..

I liked the shyness too..the way they tentatively start to realise how deep their feelings are growing- that is naturally shown and portrayed. I agree re the first kiss- I meant afterwards too! I liked the way he tells her about his dream ( which he in fact actually had for real) as he is in a roundabout way trying to find out if she would like him to kiss her! And she falls for it . :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby mevans » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:28 pm

I liked the way he tells her about his dream ( which he in fact actually had for real) as he is in a roundabout way trying to find out if she would like him to kiss her! And she falls for it .

That goes to show that young men, not even poets are as smooth or cunning as they think they are! We young ladies are always on to that game and Fanny Brawne plays it well by saying "Whose lips? Were they my lips?" You can almost see the movie Keats convincing himself that he should kiss her.
mevans

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:52 pm

mevans wrote:
I liked the way he tells her about his dream ( which he in fact actually had for real) as he is in a roundabout way trying to find out if she would like him to kiss her! And she falls for it .

That goes to show that young men, not even poets are as smooth or cunning as they think they are! We young ladies are always on to that game and Fanny Brawne plays it well by saying "Whose lips? Were they my lips?" You can almost see the movie Keats convincing himself that he should kiss her.

Hha ha ha yes...Fanny ( as played by Abby Cornish) seems VERY eager for John( as Ben plays him) to kiss her- and he doesn't wait that long to kiss her after she asks "Whose lips? Were they my lips?" I liked the angle he leaned into her too- REALLY close. :D
This scene felt quite real- I could imagine it might have happened something like that. What do you think? Would Fanny have said something to make John kiss her or would he have gone for it? I wonder if he was shy at first or bold..

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby mevans » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:33 am

What do you think? Would Fanny have said something to make John kiss her or would he have gone for it? I wonder if he was shy at first or bold

It would have been terribly romantic if it was like the movie version wouldn't it though? I'm sure something must have stirred in him because his letters to Fanny are so ardent and full of admiration. Unmarried women were highly restricted in their conduct with men so I believe she would have had to "make the first move" so to speak. I think shyness is a wonderful, sweet, and endearing quality in a man.

I've not seen Bright Star yet, have you?
mevans

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:41 pm

It would have been terribly romantic if it was like the movie version wouldn't it though?

Yes, it would- I bet it was even more romantic than the film- his letters to her are the most powerfully passionate and romantic letters I've ever read.

This clip from the movie shows how they might have connected through the wall in the house:( this clip is so amazing..the music and the expressions are beautiful, it maches my heart ache watching it..)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD8cPem1hfI

I'm sure something must have stirred in him because his letters to Fanny are so ardent and full of admiration. Unmarried women were highly restricted in their conduct with men so I believe she would have had to "make the first move" so to speak.

Well John thought she was a "minx", so she was lively and chatty it seems. She might have flirted with him in the first few days, smiled at him and made little hints that she wanted him to court her. I think his calling her a "minx" is funny and cute. I think he made the first move in kissing though- no young lady would have done that in those days. Even today most women wait for the man to make the first move. John was indeed passionate and ardent in his letters- I think that reflects his feelings rather than her egging him on ( tho she welcomed his attention)- we only have to read his poems to see how sensual and passionate he was. He was someone who felt very deeply.

I think shyness is a wonderful, sweet, and endearing quality in a man.

So do I. :D Maybe John was a bit shy at first in declaring his feelings as he was unsure of his own attractiveness to women ( I think because of being 5 foot one )- he had no idea how handsome he was it seems! But once he got over that hurdle he was full on it seems. :D

I've not seen Bright Star yet, have you?

Yes- twice. It is the best film I've ever seen. It was so romantic and moving and Ben and Abbie were very convincing as two lovers. Watching it felt real- like you had actually gone back in time. Ben is very attractive and expressive, though he doesn't look like our beautiful poet at all. I felt he brought integrity and respect to the role- he has said in one of his interviews that it was a "privilage" to play John keats and that he was "an amazing soul". It was nice that Ben had such respect for our dear Junkets and genuinely has been affected by reading his works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFkJ-QOjkg

I found these interviews interesting- Jane Campion called him " a channel for the divine"- how sweet! I see our dear Junkets as this channel too- Jane said as much in her intro to the recent edition of the poems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3pXZhxpyW0

Ben is talented and intelligent. here's another interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsFkJ-QOjkg

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to BRIGHT STAR