The Anniversary of To Autumn September 19

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The Anniversary of To Autumn September 19

Postby Malia » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:38 am

Hi Everyone,
Saturn's recently posted pics of his pilgrimage to Keats House reminded me that today is a special day for Keatsians (well, for *this* Keatsian, at any rate!). On this date (September 19) in 1819, Keats composed one of his greatest poems: To Autumn.

In a letter to his friend Reynolds written on Tuesday, September 21 he writes:

"How beautiful the season is now, how fine the air, a temperate sharpness about it. Really, without joking, chaste weather, Dian skies. I never lik'd stubble fields so much as now--Aye, better than the chilly green of spring. Somehow a stubble plain looks warm--in the same way that some pictures look warm--this struck me so much in my sunday's walk that I composed upon it."

Many critics and general poetry-lovers alike consider To Autumn to be Keats's most perfect poem; a sign of a new stage in his writing. This is the poem that first truly inspired me and opened both my mind and heart to the boundless wonder that poetry can engender within a person's soul. Thanks to Keats for taking time to compose upon that inspirational sunday's walk! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: The Anniversary of To Autumn September 19

Postby Saturn » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:51 am

Amen to all that.

'To Autumn' is perhaps his greatest achievement, like you say a near 'perfect' poem, it's one that still, even after reading it countless times seems fresh and the images are so arresting and vivid that I never tire of it.

Autumn has always been my favourite season.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby browneyes03 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:26 pm

...and a masterpiece composed at such a relatively young age.
browneyes03

Postby Saturn » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Indeed, who knows what further masterpieces he could have gone on to write.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 am

What a staggering thought...if he had lived, what else would he have written? I can't go there.
But I made it mandatory for my family to memorize "To Autumn." Ok...maybe not 'mandatory' but you get the idea. I want to absorb this poem so I couldn't help but memorize it.

I bough fresh corn from the field to celebrate the 19th of September.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays