Differance between "romantic" and romantic?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Differance between "romantic" and romantic?

Postby Fred » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:33 pm

Is there a differance between "Romantic" as in lovey dovery mush and romantic as in The Romantics?

I was wondering because once a teacher told me that I was a romantic because ofmy Intrest in mythology, imagination and I said that I will read practically any fantasy book you could put in my hands. I think we were doing Animal Farm at the time and the disscussion came about because of The question should stories have a happy ending. My answer yes.

So does all that make me a Romantic despite the fact that I dont belive in Love except as somthing nice to put in Films and books??

YUP so what do you think is there a differance between the 2 Romantics and also did the romantics invent the word or did they alter the meaning of it??

Actually one more thing, if keats's letters are the model of a romantuic letter is that why the change in the meaning of the word happened (if it did) or is it just chance??

:?
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Hmmm quite a difficult question!

Postby Starlight » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:06 pm

hi fred,
once our Business communication teacher told us that romantic does not mean the typical "love" we think whenever this word is used rather it has a broad meaning.

Romantic means someone who have asthetic sense, & also have the ability to like beauty, have imaginative mind, fanticize things & incidents.

I hope now you will be able to make a difference between the actual word "romantic", its quite different.

"And Keats was also a romantic poet in real meaning",

Love for all.
Passion is the ultimate way to your destination!
Starlight

Postby Fred » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:03 pm

yeah I thought there was a differance but I guess my real question was why has the meaning of the word changed but that is probably a question no person could reasnobly be expected to answer I suppose. :)
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:36 pm

I'm guessing that the idea of Romanticism, as distinct from the romantic, was really a Victorian thing. The Victorian push for realism re Baudelaire etc meant that the Romantics, and their fondness for medieval romances, seemed to provide romantic lit with a huge stock of cliches that had little bearing on how life was now being lived. That seems to be the dividing line.
Becky

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:40 pm

Fred

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays