Ariosto

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Fred » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:27 pm

heres a quotation from the introduction of Orlando etc from the online medival & classical library

This work is a continuation of the "Orlando Innamorato" of Matteo Maria Boiardo, which was left unfinished upon the author's death in 1494. It begins more or less at the point where Boiardo left it.

I think that more or less sums it up.

I can see the charm in old books but franky Ive had too many run ins with them to prefer them to new books. When books get old the leaves go all funny and powdery and that stuffis pure evil :twisted: it gave me blisters and swollen hands for a week!
Plus of course new books are less likly to fall to pieces at the first breath.
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:46 pm

New books have charms too, of course. Speaking of which, you might prefer the Guido Waldman translation (on sale in book form on amazon last time i checked) rather than that free version. Its translated into less archaic english and is divided into :shock: paragraphs, although there are canto markers.

Might help you less in comparing him to keats, or tracing the similarities in compositional style, though... :?
Becky

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays