The Keats-Shelly connection???

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

The Keats-Shelly connection???

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:41 pm

What is the conection between Shelly and Keats' death??
Im sure i read of one somwhere but I just cant think where so,
is there any connection between Shellyand keats other than they wrote to each other, They both died the same year in Italy and were both the same genre poet??

:lol:
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Becky » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:44 pm

I think you've already given the connection... Shelley offered to put Keats up in Italy, but he refused. Thats the only extra connection i can think of to add to your comprehensive summary. Keats said he tended to reject meeting other influences, and so didn't get close to Shelley or Byron. They were of a different class, anyway.
Becky

Postby Despondence » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:29 am

That was such a pity - imagine if Keats had had Shelley's support while working on Hyperion, it might have been completed.. I'm sure Shelley would have been a much more stimulating companion to Keats than the motley crew of Hunt, Haydon and Brown, say. It would seem Keats had a lot more influence of Shelley than the other way around, albeit only after his death..
Despondence

The connection?

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:24 am

Please, If you want to know the connection read Shelly's poem about John Keats' death. That says it all.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:11 am

You mean Adonais?

If you want the facts don't read a panygeric like that - great poem, but it distorted the view of the real man for over a century, painting Keats as some delicate flower blown over by the harsh wind of criticism which if anyone knows anything about Keats is blatantly wrong.

Sure; if you want the real connection read Richard Holmes excellent biography Shelley: The Pursuit
Last edited by Saturn on Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:26 pm

he wasnt bent by critiism was he? He did give a tuppence for them was my immpression from their letters
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Saturn » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:06 pm

Yes, that's what I was saying, but the picture painted by Shelley is a heavily romanticised and incorrect version of the real man Keats who has only emerged from a century and a half of hagiography fairly recently in the criticism.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Fred » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:16 pm

sorry I was trying to be what's it called retorical somhow I think that didnt comme across properly
:oops:
Fred

Another Connection

Postby T. Fuchs » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:47 pm

Another connection is that Shelley was carrying a copy of Keats in his coat-pocket at the time of his death.
T. Fuchs

copy of Keats

Postby Despondence » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:31 pm

Really? Like a Keats stuffed sock, or the straw kind with needles in it?

(ITYM a copy of Hyperion)

Aw, sorry. Friday morning, and all I can think about is getting out of my office already..

don't go here
Despondence

Postby T. Fuchs » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:44 pm

as far as Adonais is concerned, you can't really blame shelley considering the vehemence of the reviewers, (blackwoods, etc).
Also, it takes hyperbole to get through to byron, which Adonais did.

any keats fan owes a debt to shelley because of adonais, without it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

:shock:
T. Fuchs

Postby Saturn » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:27 pm

T. Fuchs wrote:as far as Adonais is concerned, you can't really blame shelley considering the vehemence of the reviewers, (blackwoods, etc).
Also, it takes hyperbole to get through to byron, which Adonais did.

any keats fan owes a debt to shelley because of adonais, without it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

:shock:

Yes, I suppose so - I have nothing against Shelley - in fact I am a massive fan of his but you have to admit that Adonais is a bit of a romanticised eulogy of Keats and bears little resemblance to the man Shelley knew - it's as Shelley wished to see him.

In Adonais, Keats becomes one of Shelley's heroes - the fragile artist crushed by the weight of mortality, public indifference and thwarted love.

Shelly recruits Keats' memory in order to promote his own agenda, his own romantic vision of the tortured, unfortunate artist.

The unfortuante thing about all this (and I do not doubt the literary qualities of the poem : it is a stunningly beautiful and poignant poem) is that people reading Adonais (and until I read Keats and learned about his life I was equally as guilty as anyone) tend to take Shelley's protrait too seriously when it should be seen as a literary character, not an actual representation of the living, breathing Keats.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby keatz_fan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:05 am

Well, i don't think there was any connection. wait a minute, pls HU IS SHELLEY??. Am not that current. I'l appreciate it if someone told me. thanx a lot

:?:
:?
John Keats Rules
keatz_fan

Postby Saturn » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:20 am

Welcome to the forum :D

Shelley was Percy Bysshe Shelley, a poet and writer.

Here's some basic information on him:

http://www.online-literature.com/shelley_percy

Hope this helps you understand
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays