What you do to soothe your disturbed mind?

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

What you do to soothe your disturbed mind?

Postby Starlight » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:27 am

Hi,

i'm starting this topic cause' i'm really restless & depressed from some days. I can't recall the reason why this is happening to me.

as here i have quite a good community of sensible & thinking souls so i want your opinion that what should anyone do to soothe his/her mind.

comforting my soul
Soothing my mind

should i die
to escape from time?

Love for all.

to
Passion is the ultimate way to your destination!
Starlight

Postby Fred » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:01 pm

No you should not die to escape from time, Starlight. Because how do you know that death isnt worse??

What I do is go t the library and get out at least 3 books and sit and read them in one go. Then I find some chocolate. :)
Or I make biscuits and test them on my family.

And if I cant find any books I bug my little sisters ( very imature I know but endlessly satisfying).

I once spent nearly two weeks in bed because I was depressed, I wouldnt advice that though its not very pleasent. I supose You could find somthing you really enjoy doing and do it. Or as a lastr resort just wait it out these things usally pass.

On the whole this is a load of uselless advice and the only good advice I have is just ignore me and follow someone else's advice. (Oh and stay away from depressing books and poetry)

on the otherhand there is this Psychological theory of catharsis and I once was in the middle of a down week (Thats when Im depressed) And I picked up this awful sad book ( cancer and all that) It actually cheered me up because I thought well Im not as bad off as that!

:roll: I hope if this message is not useful it at least entertains you for a minute Or two.
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby Saturn » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:55 pm

If you have friends, talk to them, if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend talk to him/her. Talking is very underrated as a cure - once your problems and your anxieties are out in the open you can begin to deal with them.

Trust me, depression is something I know a great deal about as I suffer from severe depression myself so I know what 're going through and I really sympathise with you.

Stay strong and try and occupy your mind - the support of others and a friendly face often can work wonders - whatever you do, do not isolate yourself from life as this only results in further brooding and harmful thoughts.

Oh and read some Keats' humorous poems to cheer you up :D

Fight it with all your might - it's a devil which can be defeated (at times anyway).
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Steen » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:06 pm

If I am depressed or upset I go into my room, turn all the lights out, pull the certians and play some nice music in the dark while laying on my bed. It seems strange but when you don't have anything else to distract you, you can lose yourself into the music...it's quite something. Depends what you put on. Don't put Evenesance or Nightwish or any other gothie type music (Its good sometimes but not then). Aerosmith "I don't wanna miss a thing" or SwitchFoot "On Fire" or "Ment to live" are good for making you want to look at life with a refreshed mood.

But of course talking is the best cure. It really is. Normaly I tend to find that I am the one listening to problems rather then telling them, but I know talking works. If that isn't a option then write your problems down, it helps to see them in front of you. If they are just swerling in your head it's hard to focus on them, but if you take the time to tackle them one by one things will come togther.
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

I Thank all of you for your support & suggestions!

Postby Starlight » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:29 am

Hi,

oh well now you can say out of that miserable period of melancholic thoughts & depression but i think as you people have described that talking is best thing while your in complete state of depression.

I think birds sing while you sing with them
& sun shines always bright
But birds chriping is like thudding of hammer
& so depressing is sunlight
when you are depressed!

Love for all.
Starlight

Postby Fred » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Actually I can sort of sympathise with Birds chirping and thunderering of a hammer, I used to live in Egypt ( we move around alot) and there was this tree outside my bedroom and if you have ever been woken up everyday at 4:30 in the morning by birds you will understand how much I hated them.
actually I ended up so used to it I still wake up ay 4:30 most school days 4 years later.
And anyway why is sunshine supposed to be nice I prefer snow!
Last edited by Fred on Mon May 02, 2005 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

My mind thinks, my heart decides!

Postby Starlight » Mon May 02, 2005 5:18 am

Hi,

Fred actually i love shining sun, thats why i wrote about loving sunlight!

But again i'm stuck in a confusion, confusion between mind & heart. What you people think should we think from mind & let our heart to decide or should it be other way round?

In thinking hours, sitting alone
my mind exerts its power
& when it comes to decisive node
heart has its last hour!

Love for all.
Starlight

Postby Fred » Mon May 02, 2005 12:08 pm

huh?
bit dense today can we try that again??
is this the old reason vs emotion argument.

And if it is can I point out somthing that has always annoyed me (no offence ment but its just one of those wierd things) you dont feel with your heart ( yes I know its an expression /metaphore whatever but it still annoys me)
Then again what do you feel with ? your soul?
chemicals and eletric impulses in the brain?
what do you think?
only dont say heart or Ill either scream or cry!! Mayhap both!
Thats todays word Mayhap good word though maybe not as good as anarchy
Last edited by Fred on Fri May 13, 2005 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Postby Steen » Thu May 12, 2005 10:25 pm

I never got the whole "heart" thing...why that? Its the symbol of love but...its a vile beating organ....romantic my gecko!
I don't like the idea that feelings are a chemical responce. It means they cen be disected and expamined. I belive in the phrase "kill to disect" and hate it when things get cut up for no real reason
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Endymion » Tue May 17, 2005 10:54 pm

Steen wrote:romantic my gecko!

ROFLMAO
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

Postby Fred » Wed May 18, 2005 7:31 pm

Tish tish Steen dont you realise if you kill to disect than obviously you are killing for a reason.
in ROFLMAO does M standfor madly by any chance??
:roll:
Fred

Postby Steen » Thu May 19, 2005 10:21 pm

Sorry...nowadays I often use "gecko" as a expletive as it is child friendy...people used to get annoyed when I shouted out "Oh by st Johns holy left testicale!"
Steen

Postby Wickers_Poet » Tue May 24, 2005 3:13 am

I read Tony Harrison 8)
Wickers_Poet

Postby Steen » Tue May 24, 2005 9:57 pm

Who?
I still prefer to chill with music and the rare 5 mins I take to just take a rest. Doing nothing (indolance if you will!) is really helpful in small amounts!
Steen

Postby Saturn » Tue May 24, 2005 10:17 pm

Music soothes the savage beast :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays