Bright Star out when in UK?

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Bright Star out when in UK?

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 pm

It's not out this week- just checked the cinema listings. God, I hope it does come here!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Bright Star out when in UK?

Postby Saturn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:19 pm

It will be released in the UK on the 6th November. It may be on limited release though, in some places but if you have an Odeon cinema nearby seems like they're showing it nationwide.

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/m12202/
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Saturn wrote:It will be released in the UK on the 6th November. It may be on limited release though, in some places but if you have an Odeon cinema nearby seems like they're showing it nationwide.

http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/film_info/m12202/

Yeah - that is this Thursday- but it isn't on at my Odeon nor the arty cinema in town either. :( ( I checked both of their websites a few mins ago).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:10 pm

I'd say check again on Thursday night, Friday morning.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I'd say check again on Thursday night, Friday morning.

I just did- IT'S ON FRIDAY!!!!!!!!! I'm going!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:47 pm

See :D

I might go myself, even if it means going alone :(
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm so excited for you Raphael and Saturn! I saw the movie the first time with friends and the second and third times alone. The movie is enjoyable both ways :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Saturn wrote:See :D

I might go myself, even if it means going alone :(

What a shame you don't live near me (I'm in Liverpool)- I'll be going alone myself- but I think in my case that is better because I know I'm going to be sobbing a lot.I don't think I'll be able to hold the tears- the trailer alone makes me well up.

EDITED: I had texted my mum earlier if she wanted to come (she loves the nineteenth century and films like this- but she doesn't know much about or dear Keats)- so now I will be hoping she doesn't notice me sobbing !!
Last edited by Raphael on Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:28 pm

Malia wrote:I'm so excited for you Raphael and Saturn! I saw the movie the first time with friends and the second and third times alone. The movie is enjoyable both ways :)

Did you find it very moving? See what I posted above to Saturn ( or am I far too sentimental? Something about those two moves me a lot, and the poems too).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Hi Raphael,
While I enjoyed the movie a lot, I must admit I wasn't moved to tears. That said, I'm not generally moved to tears by movies (those that *do* move me, though, get me bawling! LOL). I think part of the reason I didn't cry during this movie is that I've studied Keats for so long, I found myself focusing on analyzing how the movie portrayed his and Fanny's story; so I kind of "stepped back" from it a bit, emotionally speaking. I will admit that one of the last scenes gave me the shivers all three times I watched the movie, so there are definitely emotional moments!

I think the emotion that I felt *most* when I first saw the movie was a giddy near-disbelief! Just hearing Keats's name spoken on screen--along with the names of his circle--was enough to make me feel like I was in some kind of parallel universe! :lol: And I had a great smile on my face for about the 1st 1/2 hour.

Looking forward to reading both your and Saturn's review when you've seen it :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:36 pm

I too look forward to yours (Rafael) and Saturn's response to the movie. People do react differently to movies. Like Malia, I was just shocked and amazed and delighted to no end to actually SEE a film with Keats in it! This was so stunning to me that I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My expectations were different so the first time I saw it I had to adjust to the movie, and try to follow it without too much analyzing - which is hard to do since I know so much about him. My emotions are way too close to the surface, so I really could not hold back the tears watching this movie. Because of what I brought to the movie, it was easier for me to feel it.

The 2nd time I saw it with my wife and son - and it was unlike any experience I ever had in a movie. This is not an overstatement, just my own response. Later, I realized the tears came more from what the movie elicited in my recollections of Keats than for something specific in the movie.

I do hope you enjoy it - but you might like it better the second time around.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:17 pm

Malia wrote:Hi Raphael,
While I enjoyed the movie a lot, I must admit I wasn't moved to tears. That said, I'm not generally moved to tears by movies (those that *do* move me, though, get me bawling! LOL). I think part of the reason I didn't cry during this movie is that I've studied Keats for so long, I found myself focusing on analyzing how the movie portrayed his and Fanny's story; so I kind of "stepped back" from it a bit, emotionally speaking. I will admit that one of the last scenes gave me the shivers all three times I watched the movie, so there are definitely emotional moments!

I think the emotion that I felt *most* when I first saw the movie was a giddy near-disbelief! Just hearing Keats's name spoken on screen--along with the names of his circle--was enough to make me feel like I was in some kind of parallel universe! :lol: And I had a great smile on my face for about the 1st 1/2 hour.

Looking forward to reading both your and Saturn's review when you've seen it :)

I am not one for tears but I know this one will do it as John Keats, the man and his work moves me so much. When it gets to the bit when he is very ill.... :( :(
I'll post my response on Sat- I go tommorrow at 3.20 and the library will be closed by the time i get out ( no web at home).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:20 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:I too look forward to yours (Rafael) and Saturn's response to the movie. People do react differently to movies. Like Malia, I was just shocked and amazed and delighted to no end to actually SEE a film with Keats in it! This was so stunning to me that I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My expectations were different so the first time I saw it I had to adjust to the movie, and try to follow it without too much analyzing - which is hard to do since I know so much about him. My emotions are way too close to the surface, so I really could not hold back the tears watching this movie. Because of what I brought to the movie, it was easier for me to feel it.

The 2nd time I saw it with my wife and son - and it was unlike any experience I ever had in a movie. This is not an overstatement, just my own response. Later, I realized the tears came more from what the movie elicited in my recollections of Keats than for something specific in the movie.

I do hope you enjoy it - but you might like it better the second time around.

I don't think I'll be analysing the poems but I may notice any historical inaccuracies- but manily I'll be getting involved with the love story. The hardest part is noticing Ben doesn't look like the russet haired John!
I will like it the second time round..the third ..the fourth... :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to BRIGHT STAR