Bright Star Trivia *Spoilers!*

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Bright Star Trivia *Spoilers!*

Postby Saturn » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:32 pm

To be fair, he's obviously just a kid at school. I wasn't in the slightest bit interested in poetry at school and it's easy to see why, it's everything teenage boys hate; he may grow up to love it...but I doubt it.
I think he and his mates have slung their hook having had a 'hilarious' joke at our expense.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Saturn wrote:To be fair, he's obviously just a kid at school. I wasn't in the slightest bit interested in poetry at school and it's easy to see why, it's everything teenage boys hate; he may grow up to love it...but I doubt it.
I think he and his mates have slung their hook having had a 'hilarious' joke at our expense.

Yes, he's probably got the attention span of a pea and into xbox games. He's a product of the c 21st. I feel rather sorry for him. His school teacher probably had Junkets on the syllabus and of course it baffled him; he probably had a homework about one of the poems and he didn't understand it, so it was his way of rebelling ( he probably didn't do his homework and is on detention!). Funny how teenagers think us adults are gonna find them funny when they are ridiculous! :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby board » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

Aquarius wrote:I thought I would start a topic on Bright Star trivia. Other than the obvious quotes in the film taken from Keats letters to Fanny, and other tidbits of biographical fact, I thought it would be nice to see if anyone noticed any interesting trivia from the movie.

I noticed that in the film, Brown asks Fanny if she found Milton's rhymes "pouncing or pouncy". The phrase "pouncing rhymes" is actually taken from something that Keats wrote in his letter to George and Georgiana Keats on Feb 14th 1819. In it he writes how he's trying to create a better and new sonnet form:

"I have been endeavoring to discover a better Sonnet Stanza than we have. The legitimate does not suit the language over well from the pouncing rhymes-the other appears to elegiac..."

Would you be able to explain to me what he means by Milton's rhymes being pouncing?
I'm subtitling the film into Danish, and I can't really figure out what he means.
You're welcome to reply to me directly at mc_nyregrus@hotmail.com. My deadline is already at the end of the day Central European Time tomorrow, Tuesday January 19th 2010. I know it's a short notice, but I hope you can help.
Thanks.
board

Previous

Return to BRIGHT STAR