Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Bright Star reviews, ratings etc. *SPOILERS*

Postby BrokenLyre » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:51 pm

For those of you who want to read a short article about how Harvard University has responded to "Bright Star" please see the following:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2009/ ... awne-love/

Dr. Jack Stillinger, University of Chicago, also comments nicely about the film's impact.

Check it out.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Saturn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:42 pm

The DVD rip of Bright Star has hit the torrent sites...

I'm guessing that an Australasian DVD has been released already?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Thanks for that Broken Lyre- but what are his letters doing there? How did they get there? Why aren't they in Keats House?
It was a nicely written article attesting to his humanity and lovely personality but I didn't like the title- steamy indeed! :roll:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:42 pm

Raphael, there aren't *any* letters on display at Keats House (at least not that I saw). They had been on display before the renovation, but are now considered too fragile to display. I suppose now they are only available to scholars (people working on their PhD etc.) to view via private appointment.

That was something of a bummer about Keats House--there were *few* relics on display. It was a minimalist display. That said, the displays are tastefully done, and visiting the house would be a moving experience for any Keatsian. However, the Chester Room--which used to be filled with Keats's letters--is quite an empty place now.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Malia wrote:Raphael, there aren't *any* letters on display at Keats House (at least not that I saw). They had been on display before the renovation, but are now considered too fragile to display. I suppose now they are only available to scholars (people working on their PhD etc.) to view via private appointment.

That was something of a bummer about Keats House--there were *few* relics on display. It was a minimalist display. That said, the displays are tastefully done, and visiting the house would be a moving experience for any Keatsian. However, the Chester Room--which used to be filled with Keats's letters--is quite an empty place now.

I remember you saying the letters were removed- but I didn't know all of them... :x
Even if they are incased in glass are they still too fragile to display? Of course, their preservation is of more importance then me being able to them. I don't see why phd students need to see the letters- seeing them in his hand is something for the heart- it won't help them expound their theories.

How were the letters displayed beforehand in the house? If they are encased in glass in Harvard Library and not in any danger of being damaged then they should be in Keats House that way! I just feel that if the letters are ok to be displayed his house is where they should be.
And who actually "owns" the letters now?
Did they have his locks of hair in Keats House?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby toots » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 pm

If you want to see original material in Keats' handwriting, I think there may be manuscripts at the British Library in London. I'm pretty sure I can remember seeing the autograph of 'Ode to a Nightingale' on display many years ago when the BL was still part of the British Museum. I don't think it is on public display any more, but they normally have a rotating exhibition of books and manuscripts open to the public on the ground floor and it may reappear.
toots

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:44 pm

toots wrote:If you want to see original material in Keats' handwriting, I think there may be manuscripts at the British Library in London. I'm pretty sure I can remember seeing the autograph of 'Ode to a Nightingale' on display many years ago when the BL was still part of the British Museum. I don't think it is on public display any more, but they normally have a rotating exhibition of books and manuscripts open to the public on the ground floor and it may reappear.

Thanks for that- I will do that when I can afford to get to London- I'm unemployed and broke. I'm feeling a bit gutted today as I didn't get an interview for a job I SO wanted. :cry:
So tonight...it's To Hope... soothe me dear John Keats- you knew what it was like...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:00 am

Here's a cute video review by a pair of young guys from South Africa. They loved it :)

http://zoopy.com/q/2zyq
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Interview with the costume designer on Bright Star:

http://www.wmagazine.com/w/blogs/editor ... -star.html
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:49 pm

And as a follow on to the previous post, Bright Star has been nominated for Best Costume Design at this year's Oscar's, its single nomination. Can't say I'm not surprised, and the Costume Design award is usually a bit of a token nomination but nice to see the Academy recognising the film at least.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby marwood » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:45 pm

I do love the clothes, it would be great to dress that way, Keats that is not Fanny!
But not sure how it would go down in Birmingham on a Saturday night :shock:

Chin Chin,
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 pm

I love the Regency clothes- I always have- I think they are the most attractive of any historical period- both men's and women's. Being a lady I'd be happy to wear dresses like Fanny Brawne's. :D They look stylish and very comfortable ( unlike the later Victorian ones).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Regency clothes are beautiful--although they'd still require wearing a "bust to hips" corset. And although I've been interested in giving corsets a try, (if only to have some help for my posture!) the one time I tried one on, it sat on my hips so firmly that I was in pain almost immediately. (Of course, I have chronic tendinitis in my hips and legs, so that might have had something to do with it.) Still, what fabulous clothing. A great and flattering age for menswear, that's for sure!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Malia wrote:Regency clothes are beautiful--although they'd still require wearing a "bust to hips" corset. And although I've been interested in giving corsets a try, (if only to have some help for my posture!) the one time I tried one on, it sat on my hips so firmly that I was in pain almost immediately. (Of course, I have chronic tendinitis in my hips and legs, so that might have had something to do with it.) Still, what fabulous clothing. A great and flattering age for menswear, that's for sure!

Actaully they didn't Malia- the "Empire line" required no corset- they had a little bodice thing that fell to just below the bust. The shape was high waisted and followed natural flowing lines. Corsets came back in around 1830.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hmm, interesting. . .that's not what I heard, Raphael. When I go to Regency costume sites (people re-enacting Jane Austen times), they talk about how to make your own corset and that a Corset is really needed to create the perfect lines of the costume. I've seen people wearing Regency clothes with and without a corset and it looks much better *with* one--as if the clothes were designed for them. Also, Emma Thompson talked about wearing a corset when filming Sense and Sensibility.

I'll have to explore this and do some further research! :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to BRIGHT STAR