Bright Star music CD- review and comments

Join in the discussion of the 2009 film Bright Star.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Bright Star music CD- review and comments

Postby Raphael » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Finally my copy arrived today!I had a quick listen to some of it before I came out to the internet place- I love the Negative Capability one- it feels fitting for the first track to start with this. I think this CD would be excellent to use in literature classes- might move the students to sit up and take notice! I thought we could have a little thread to post our comments, feelings and reviews on this CD. I have a feeling it will hardly be out of my CD player for a few weeks ... :D
I found bright Star very moving- I only heard the first couple of lines and welled up...it had the effect of making me feel Fanny Brawne herself was reading it, such was the emotion in Abbey Cornish's voice.

Edited 15 th Jan.

I had it in my CD player all evening. Ben Whishaw reads La Belle Dame Sans Merci so well- he is a joy to listen to. The same goes with the letters too- he gives them a tenderness and tone that one doesn't always come across off a printed page.
The tender and melancholy cello and viola weave around the words like a musical signature of our dear poet. I am so clumsy and useless with words- I don't know how else to put it.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Bright Star music CD- review and comments

Postby Cybele » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:16 am

I bought the CD as soon as it became available. I quickly loaded it onto my MP3 player. While the CD is short, it's worth the price for the last track alone.

I do wish, however, that the whole of the Human Orchestra's performance, as seen in the movie, had been on the CD.

I'm new to the forum, although I have been lurking for several months. It's been such a joy browsing the contents of the forum and finding an on-line community of fellow rabid Keats fans.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Re: Bright Star music CD- review and comments

Postby Raphael » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Endymion is gorgeous...I might even include the Hym to Pan in a pagan rite one day... :wink:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to BRIGHT STAR