Keats refered to in Cold Mountain.

Discussion on the works of John Keats.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Postby Fred » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:03 am

Science fition anthology Far horizons introduction to short story by Dan Simmions introducing readers to the previous books in this world. The books are callerd if you would believe it
Hyperion
The fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The rise of Endymion.
:shock:
Apparantly Keats is important to the story line in the actual novels though not so much in the short story
My imagination is a monastery, and I am its monk. You must explain my metaphors to yourself.
Fred

Postby crazypiano » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:55 pm

There's a song called Cemetry Gates by the smiths that goes:"Keats and Yeats are on your side,while Wilde is on mine."
crazypiano

Postby Steen » Mon May 30, 2005 1:34 pm

Keats is metioned all over in Enduring Love, as the female lead is a Keats schooler.

Also the Classic lines "Truth is Beauty, Beauty truth" is metioned in the Simpsons of all places!

A sutdent at a army school says "Truth is Beauty, Beauty truth" in class and the teacher says "But the truth can be harsh and disterbing, how can that be considered beautiful!?"
You don't love a women because she is beatiful, she is beatiful because you love her.
Steen

Postby Credo Buffa » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:38 pm

I suppose this isn't really a 'pop-culture' reference, but I really love reading other poets' thoughts on Keats in their own poetry. I think my favorite is Oscar Wilde's "On the Sale by Auction of Keats' Love Letters":

These are the letters which Endymion wrote
To one he loved in secret, and apart.
And now the brawlers of the auction mart
Bargain and bid for each poor blotted note,
Ay! for each separate pulse of passion quote
The merchant's price. I think they love not art
Who break the crystal of a poet's heart
That small and sickly eyes may glare and gloat.

Is it not said that many years ago,
In a far Eastern town, some soldiers ran
With torches through the midnight, and began
To wrangle for mean raiment, and to throw
Dice for the garments of a wretched man,
Not knowing the God's wonder, or His woe?
Credo Buffa
Lamia

Postby Saturn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:01 pm

Keats was a real idol of Wilde's - Keatesian phrases litter his oeuvre and Wilde's whole aesthetic ideal could be summed up by Keats' immortal phrase:

‘Beauty is truth, truth beauty,’—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'

Slightly off topic : I was watching the racing yesterday on TV and there was a horse called John Keats :lol:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re:

Postby Cath » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:14 pm

Saturn wrote:Slightly off topic : I was watching the racing yesterday on TV and there was a horse called John Keats :lol:

That has to be the bizarrest place yet where his name has cropped up!
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: Keats refered to in Cold Mountain.

Postby Cath » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:42 am

It occurred to me last night that having a horse named John Keats does have a strange appropriateness, given that his father was head ostler and Keats himself spent some of his childhood living at the stables attached to the Swan and Hoop Inn at Moorgate. His father did die in a fall from one, though - not exactly a great omen for a race-horse :lol: .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Again, read The Case Book of Dr. Frankstein (by the Romantic scholar, Peter Ackroyd). A medical student, whose is auburn-haired, very intelligent, doodles in his medical notebook(s), wants to write poetry instead of studying medicine, and, needless to say, is short, knows he is dying and goes by the name of Jack Keats and has a sister named Fanny, developed a friendship with Dr. Frankenstein in med school and makes a deal with him. . . . . read the rest!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Interesting!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to Poems, Odes and Plays