Source of Quotation

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Source of Quotation

Postby Thom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:42 pm

What is the source of the following quotation from Keats:

“A poem needs understanding through the senses. The point of diving in a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore; it’s to be in the lake, to luxuriate in the sensation of water. You do not work the lake out. It is an experience beyond thought. Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery.”

Thank you,

Thom
Thom

Re: Source of Quotation

Postby Raphael » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:09 pm

One of his letters- not sure which one tho
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby keatsclose » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:03 pm

Thom - hello and welcome.

Memorable lines. I googled the words 'Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept mystery' and was directed to several sites,
some featuring reviews of Bright Star, that referred to them as forming part of the dialogue.

It would be interesting to know whether anyone has traced it to JK's actual writings.
keatsclose

Postby Raphael » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:46 pm

Yes, it is the film and not a direct quote from any of his letters- well I haven't found it in there- but it captures the essence of him. It's when he talks about Negative Capability to Fanny ( in the film)- I shopuld be able to reel it all off now since my Bright Star CD arrived yesterday and I've been playing it almost non stop. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Keats did talk in a letter about diving deep and experiencing the "soundings and quicksands" of a poem--I think this letter was written around the time he was writing Endymion (as I believe he speaks of Endymion in this letter). He says he'd rather experience those soundings and quicksands rather than "pipe a silly pipe and take tea and comfortable advice". I can imagine that it was from this letter (I'll find the exact quote when I'm near my books later) that Jane Campion got the inspiration for Keats's explanation of poetry.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:21 pm

Malia wrote:Keats did talk in a letter about diving deep and experiencing the "soundings and quicksands" of a poem--I think this letter was written around the time he was writing Endymion (as I believe he speaks of Endymion in this letter). He says he'd rather experience those soundings and quicksands rather than "pipe a silly pipe and take tea and comfortable advice". I can imagine that it was from this letter (I'll find the exact quote when I'm near my books later) that Jane Campion got the inspiration for Keats's explanation of poetry.

I'll look for it too tonight in the Grant edition I borrowed from the library!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Thom » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks to those of you who are looking for the source of the Keats quotation, "A poem needs understanding through the senses. The point of diving in a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore...." I've been combing through the letters, too, but haven't found the exact quotation. How interesting if, as Malia suggests, the quotation is really Campion riffing on another Keats line! If anyone locates the above quotation—or one that you think inspired Campion—I'd appreciate if you would let me know.

Thanks again!

Thom
Thom

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:18 pm

I haven't seen it in any of the letters in the Grant edition- but then that is not all of them, so maybe he did say it- certainly it feels very Keatsian doesn't it?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:56 am

YES.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:23 pm

The way Ben says all this ( tone, pauses, softness..passion....) with the music following has such a magical effect- It could almost be our dear Junkets saying it. It makes me realise even more just how magical it would have been to hear Junkets describe his ideas, to have seen his expressions...it would have been a bit wow...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:53 pm

It's funny you say that, because--although I too wish I could have heard Keats read his own work--I am more curious to see just how *badly* he read his work. :lol: A few of his friends (Woodhouse and through Woodhouse, Taylor) took it as a basic fact that Keats read his own poetry poorly. He supposedly read in a kind of chanting monotone that didn't really do justice to the music of the poetry.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:42 pm

Malia wrote:It's funny you say that, because--although I too wish I could have heard Keats read his own work--I am more curious to see just how *badly* he read his work. :lol: A few of his friends (Woodhouse and through Woodhouse, Taylor) took it as a basic fact that Keats read his own poetry poorly. He supposedly read in a kind of chanting monotone that didn't really do justice to the music of the poetry.

It would so be so cute I reckon! Haydon said he used to walk up and down as he recited it too. But, I was thinking more of him describing Negative Capability or the Mansions philosophies..imagine him lying in the grass talking dreamily about such things. He was said to have had avery nice voice to listen to ("rich and low."). :D
I don't know about you, but I could listen to him all day...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Interesting thought about the tenor of his voice. He used to be the bassoon in the voice orchestra he and his friends would put on every once in a while. That instrument has a low, kind of strange sound to it. Kind of an odd instrument--I can see why Keats might choose it just because it wasn't the first instrument you'd think of when you consider orchestras.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:37 pm

[banned member] wrote:I've got say I'd never thought of any of this Raphael but now, how I could resist? I'd love to listen to him - and it's all your fault!!

I think Ben Whishaw is the best we'll have!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Malia wrote:Interesting thought about the tenor of his voice. He used to be the bassoon in the voice orchestra he and his friends would put on every once in a while. That instrument has a low, kind of strange sound to it. Kind of an odd instrument--I can see why Keats might choose it just because it wasn't the first instrument you'd think of when you consider orchestras.

Well, he must have had a low rich voice as described! I was going to ask about this actually - a good reminder! I wonder if he had a good singing voice? I think he did. Him choosing the bassoon reflects the rich quakity of his voice and his unique nature!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Help and Homework